English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 June 2011, 00:10   #121
AmigaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
The one thing that requires cooling is Lisa. She gets quite hot if set to S-Hires modes, which is why the A4000D version had cooling holes added. The same will be done on the next-gen flickerfixers. In some cases, pixel flickeriing appeared during operation, and disappeared when the customer added a fan near those four holes - problem solved.

Jens
Without opening up my A1200 and looking, is the adding of holes above the Lisa chip a modification that is possible for the early IndivisionAGA models?
Old 10 June 2011, 11:32   #122
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDavis View Post
So... when can we get our hands on a Mk2?
There is no release date yet. Please monitor the news, and please don't ask me (or the resellers) for a release date, as it's just taking up valuable time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp1 View Post
My question is will the new Indivision AGA fit with a 1200 keyboard adapter installed in my custom tower. The original one really doesn't fit as it should and I have to use a DCE Flicker Magic instead because it fits fine.
Lyra and Lyra2 fit fine. The Elbox adapters can be modded to properly fit with the old Indivision AGA. If you're looking for an opportunity to switch to a more sophisticated adapter that also lets you press several keys at a time (play games!) and supports multimedia keys, maybe "now" is a good time to look at Lyra 2.

The new Indivision AGA MK2 will most probably fit with the Elbox keyboard adapter without modifications. It's just a millimeter or two that the Elbox adapter reaches into the space of the old Indivision, and I have accounted for that in the new board outline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaDave View Post
Without opening up my A1200 and looking, is the adding of holes above the Lisa chip a modification that is possible for the early IndivisionAGA models?
That's not possible on the old 1200 version, as there are traces in the way. Also, drilling a hole into a 4-layer multilayer PCB is *always* a bad idea, as the inner layers are used for power and ground. You are likely to make a short, no matter how careful you are.

Cooling on the A1200 is sufficient through the PCB. Note that Lisa is soldered to the A1200 circuit board, and the 84 pins are 84 little heatsinks with a large heatsink (circuit board itself!) and venting holes on the bottom of the A1200 case. Just don't place the A1200 directly on a carpet.

The A4000D is different, it is closed on the bottom, so more airflow on top is required.

Jens
Old 10 July 2011, 01:50   #123
kipper2k

Hi Jens,

any chance of getting the pinout for the video output to the monitor so i can try to make an adapter for it? Is it the same as Mk 1 or is it going to be DVI only?

Thanks
Old 10 July 2011, 07:28   #124
NovaCoder

dvi only, see this thread for details....
Old 10 July 2011, 21:28   #125
Schoenfeld
electricky.

It's DVI-I, so digital and analogue in one connector. Suitable for all m onitors, both DVI and CRT VGA monitors. I use a 2x10 pin header on the Indivision (raster 1.27mmx2.54mm) and a cable that ends in a DVI-I connector. If you need to connect to a 15-pin VGA, then you can use a standard DVI->VGA adapter from a PC gfx card (they go for roughly 1,- EUR in PC stores).

Jens
Old 10 July 2011, 22:16   #126
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

...ejem...Sorry to be rude, but... and expected date to release it?
Old 10 July 2011, 22:22   #127
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
...ejem...Sorry to be rude, but... and expected date to release it?
If you scroll up just a bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld
There is no release date yet. Please monitor the news, and please don't ask me (or the resellers) for a release date, as it's just taking up valuable time.

desiv
Old 10 July 2011, 22:32   #128
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ups! Then sorry again...
Old 24 July 2011, 14:24   #129
Exit

i have pre-ordered one, hope it will come out soon
Old 24 July 2011, 16:25   #130
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit View Post
i have pre-ordered one, hope it will come out soon

Do you say this?
http://www.vesalia.de/?V02b0f1359564...63e06536a78756
Indivision AGA Mk2

Flickerfixer for Amiga 1200 and Amiga 4000T Computers

The Indivision AGA Mk2 is the successor of the discontinued Indivision AGA 1200 (shown in the picture on the right hand side). The new Mk2 version can be used with the Amiga 1200 and also with the Amiga 4000T. The other outstanding new feature is its DVI-I output (which can also be connected to CRT monitors or older TFT displays using an adapter).

Further information to follow when the Indivision AGA Mk2 further approaches its release. You can already place a pre-order for the Indivision AGA Mk2, but please do not make a payment yet (even if our shop software suggests otherwise).

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 July 2011 at 04:15.
Old 25 July 2011, 06:07   #131
kipper2k

Vesalia are saying October.

If anyone has a picture of the video cable and header arrangement i'd like a nice picture or two, also, is the ribbon cable the same size as the Mk1 ribbon cable?

thanks
Old 25 July 2011, 14:30   #132
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I have re-started the design from scratch, because I could not get DDR memory to work reliably (DDR can't cope with changing frequencies and is very sensitive to noise - datastrobe PLLs and 2.5V technology).

I've gone back to SDR memory, but increased the bus width to get to the same data rate (32 instead of 16 bits). Memory chip is a x32 type, saving lots of space on the board (you may know that the old version of Indivision AGA had two memory chips, but this one will only have one). Memory performance is still high enough to saturate the 165MPixel/s maximum pixelclock of the DVI encoder: Total memory performance easily exceeds 200MPixel/s (old Indivision AGA: about 105MPixel/s).

The monitor connection is made with a 2x10-pin (1.27mm by 2.54mm) header using 0.635mm twisted-pair ribbon cable. Still haven't decided if it'll be a custom cable or a small board with header - depends on availability of parts when mass-production is due.

Jens
Old 25 July 2011, 14:35   #133
kipper2k

Quote:
The monitor connection is made with a 2x10-pin (1.27mm by 2.54mm) header using 0.635mm twisted-pair ribbon cable. Still haven't decided if it'll be a custom cable or a small board with header - depends on availability of parts when mass-production is due.

Jens
A header would be nice. The composite video jack and the RF module can be removed from the A1200 which would allow a small header board to sit in its place for a nice clean installation. The header would also sit nicely on the other end of the A1200 case which would also make for a nice clean install. If you don't make one i'll see what i could design once i get the size/specs of parts

edit... the 0.635mm twisted pair ribbon cable is hard to find... Digikey dont sell that pitch size, only the 1.27mm in 100ft lengths (and at $141.99) ouch.

Last edited by kipper2k; 25 July 2011 at 14:51.
Old 25 July 2011, 17:32   #134
Exit

yes header would be good idea, zero installation fix.. i like that...so maybe please jens?
Old 26 July 2011, 02:13   #135
NovaCoder

Quote:
I have re-started the design from scratch, because I could not get DDR memory to work reliably (DDR can't cope with changing frequencies and is very sensitive to noise - datastrobe PLLs and 2.5V technology).

I've gone back to SDR memory, but increased the bus width to get to the same data rate (32 instead of 16 bits). Memory chip is a x32 type, saving lots of space on the board (you may know that the old version of Indivision AGA had two memory chips, but this one will only have one). Memory performance is still high enough to saturate the 165MPixel/s maximum pixelclock of the DVI encoder: Total memory performance easily exceeds 200MPixel/s (old Indivision AGA: about 105MPixel/s).

Jens
Well at least we now know why it hasn't been released yet

I think we'd all rather wait for you to get the design optimised
Old 26 July 2011, 12:30   #136
amigoun

Implementing an option to set output to fixed 800x600 instead of 768x576 would also be great to get rid of the image degradation caused by number of LCDs or Projectors which try to upscale the signal to 800x600 and cannot show original 1:1.
Old 26 July 2011, 13:39   #137
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
Implementing an option to set output to fixed 800x600 instead of 768x576 would also be great to get rid of the image degradation caused by number of LCDs or Projectors which try to upscale the signal to 800x600 and cannot show original 1:1.
That's already possible on all internal Indivision models. Just change the number of padding-lines and padding pixels with the config tool in order to get to what the monitor likes best. Some monitors may not like the pixelclock or the resulting intermediate H/V frequencies.

Indivision AGA MK2 will have more choices of pixelclocks, which brings it much closer to standard PC gfx modes. This makes it compatible with more monitors.

Jens

P.S: here's two pictures of the header I'll be using on Indivision AGA MK2.

Last edited by Schoenfeld; 20 August 2013 at 22:45.
Old 26 July 2011, 17:09   #138
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Jens sorry to bug in this thread but are there any news about Ratte's Superplus Monitor driver (800x600) that would run nice in an Indivision ECS (but would require a feature firmware upgrade to support this mode)?
Indivision ECS users would love this feature (I know I would for sure)

Last edited by mfilos; 26 July 2011 at 17:19.
Old 26 July 2011, 19:54   #139
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Indivision ECS
Not in this thread, and not while I have so many other open projects.

Jens
Old 01 August 2011, 16:48   #140
Schoenfeld
electricky.

2nd prototype is in production now, scheduled arrival of the board is friday of this week. I dumped the DDR memory idea because DDR memories don't seems to like changing clock frequencies, which I'm using to alter the pixelclock when changing screenmodes.

The attached 3D mockups show the current PCB with it's 32-bit wide SDR Ram. It will deliver the same performance as the initial design (which I dumped) with a 16-bit DDR memory chip. Size also didn't change, so the form factor still fits in A1200 and A4000T.

This flickerfixer leaves significantly more space around the kickstart sockets compared to the old Indivision AGA for A1200, which I'll need for my SATA controller.

We're still far from mass-production - there's a lot of work left to do. However, by re-using large parts of the SD-Ram controller of the old Indivision AGA, I have a known-good building block that I can re-use in Indivision AGA MK2.

Jens

Last edited by Schoenfeld; 20 August 2013 at 22:45.