English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 14 July 2011, 20:34   #1
Dreedo

Games that truly are completely free?

I was wondering, are there any games out there on the Amiga that are truly free and would be available to be remade for a newer platform and sold? Without the person who remade them having to pay any fees?

Also with the assets of the game being free, such as sounds and graphics.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dreedo; 14 July 2011 at 21:15.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 July 2011, 23:13   #2
Phantom
Adventurer

Not all games are totally free.

Companies like LucasArts, Sierra or Team17, although they don't produce Amiga games anymore, their Amiga games are protected and not free.
Old 14 July 2011, 23:15   #3
Dreedo

I know that, i was asking what ones are completely free.

Thanks though.
Old 14 July 2011, 23:56   #4
gilgamesh
Linux snob

You are looking for games in the public domain. PD does not impose any limitations whatsoever, and there are lots of PD games for the Amiga. (Technically speaking you might also be interested in open source games on the Amiga, if you can find one.)

Then there are some remakes of commercially licensed games that got away with it because the owner could not be found/did not care. Some did not however.
Old 14 July 2011, 23:59   #5
Dreedo

I was considering PD/Open Source games, unfortunately the platform i would probably be working on does not allow non-commercial games, and therefore many PD/Open Source games could not be used, as their licenses prohibit the games being sold.

The GPL and Creative Commons license for instance, i believe both of them do not allow the work that was released under them to be sold commercially, even if it was a remade clone.

The only thing else i could think of would be to try and obtain permission, but I'm guessing that's unlikely, and would probably encur costs, which would be awkward as I'm not sure how well the game would be received, or if i could even get it onto the platform.
Old 15 July 2011, 00:21   #6
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
The GPL and Creative Commons license for instance, i believe both of them do not allow the work that was released under them to be sold commercially, even if it was a remade clone.
The GPL allows you to sell your work for money, and other people's GPLed work if you'd like, at any price you want, as the license grants you this freedom.
Old 15 July 2011, 00:28   #7
Dreedo

Mmmm i was reading up on that, but doesn't the GPL force you to release the modified source code along with the software your distributing? That's not really possible, as i won't be actually using the code itself, rather just using the games graphics, sound and gameplay etc. Rather than modifying the actual game, i just want to remake the game from scratch, using its assets.

Like what Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe did with Transport Tycoon Deluxe, at first OTTD was made from the ground-up using C, the coding had nothing to do with TTD, but it used TTD's graphics as the OTTD team didn't make their own. Obviously a slightly different situation, as money wasn't involved, OTTD has always been free, even though they now have their own GFX and sound and TTD is no longer needed.
Old 15 July 2011, 00:34   #8
Leffmann

Not sure what you mean. You'll need _some_ source code, or there can't be a game, and whatever those source files are you'll have to make them available upon request, as the license demands.
Old 15 July 2011, 00:39   #9
Dreedo

Mmmm source code isn't required to remake the game, as i said OTTD was programmed from scratch, they didn't use any TTD coding, as that would have been illegal, TTD was a closed
source commercial program. If a game was released under the GPL license, i probably could do it...

Upon request meaning if someone asks you to supply it? Or release it alongside the program? Not that i suppose it matters, i could just release it anyway.
Old 15 July 2011, 00:47   #10
Leffmann

No you don't need the original code if you're going to do a remake of the game of course, but all your new source code will have to be made available if you release the game under GPL. When you speak of source files in this context you don't necessarily refer to the very original files, but any files needed to produce the work in question.
Old 15 July 2011, 00:51   #11
Dreedo

I see, thanks.
Old 15 July 2011, 01:10   #12
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
I was considering PD/Open Source games, unfortunately the platform i would probably be working on does not allow non-commercial games,
PD means exactly "do with it what you want". That includes reimplementing, using graphics or whatever. If it prohibits anything, then it is not really public domain. No really, what you describe is pretty much the definition of PD.

If the platform you are referring to has anything to do with fruit, than you won't be able to publish GPLed software anyway. BSD should be ok, though.
Old 15 July 2011, 01:19   #13
Dreedo

Appears there is a restriction on GPL afterall.

All Copyleft licenses have been banned, however BSD, MIT/X11, Apache, and Microsoft's Ms-PL can be used for programs.
Old 15 July 2011, 02:14   #14
Dreedo

Sorry to double post, but i was wondering...

What if i were to ask a company who owned the IP of an Amiga game, if they would give me permission to port their game to the Xbox 360 via Indie Games... and they said they would be interested in licensing proposals and that their properties are always subject to a license agreement.

How would i proceed? (Specific i know)

I don't know what this entails, such as me having to possibly pay a fee to use their property or them taking a share of the game sales.

Last edited by Dreedo; 15 July 2011 at 02:20.
Old 15 July 2011, 02:41   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I think you're on a hiding to nothing here.

Its human nature, if you intend to make money on something someone else originally released for free, i'd be very surprised if they let you continue without some kind of remuneration to them.

People are not daft, they realise there is a market for quality retro games, to be honest i'm amazed stuff like Planetemu gets away with what they host, because a hell of a lot of Amiga games would be utterly ideal candidates for conversion to Android and IOS.

By all means enquire and ask, but don't be surprised if you either get ignored or get rebuffed.
Old 15 July 2011, 11:46   #16
Dreedo

I have received interest from a company that owns the IP to an Amiga game, but they said they were interested in any licensing proposals i would offer, but I'm not sure how to proceed.
AdSense AdSense