English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 October 2002, 10:07   #61
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
they would have got an MSX2 killer.
No they wouldn''t. There's no way any C= 8 bits machine could beat the MSX.

Hmm.. I better shut up for now
Old 01 October 2002, 18:29   #62
Amiga1992

Yeah shut up What are you doing in the commodore 64 thread anyway
Old 01 October 2002, 18:47   #63
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Personally the only 8 bit commodores I really liked were the C64-C and the C128/128D

I own a mint 64c and 128 with proper cabling to a 1084 monitor.
80 column capability (along with cpm + 99.99% c64) make the 128 the best all around 8 bit commodore in my opinion.

The vic-20 had crappy tv resolution and no memory, c16 was ajoke, the +4 was kinda expensive for what it gave you.

Even though I loved the original dark C64 for a game machine back in the 80's (also did some word processing since I had a panasonic dot matrix printer+ cable) I hated the color.
Old 01 October 2002, 23:05   #64
Fissuras
Old Luny

Well, let me tell you, if any of you ever intend to get rid of any pf these C64 just send it in a trip to a nice sunny place... I will take great care of it.

@Akira: I wonder where do you get those lovely machines... do you bring them from abroad? E-bay? Do you know how much would it be to send these babies to South America (Who knows the difference between Brazil and Argentina? Everyone knows Buenos Aires is Brazil's capital)

I already warned my wife to be prepared, I will leash the old computer collector that is hidden inside me... I want to join the club and say... "Nothing Beats The Real Thing"... snif... I am tired of being called a lamulator lover...
Old 02 October 2002, 07:06   #65
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Fissuras
@Akira: I wonder where do you get those lovely machines... do you bring them from abroad? E-bay?
Indeed. When the argentinian peso was equal to 1 dollar, I bought most of my babies off eBay. Imported stuff from the UK, Germany, the US and Japan! Even from Brazil! Today the prices are prohibitive and I stopped buying shit off eBay It's quite an advantage to use eBay, you know as well as me how rare these machines are in South America!
Quote:
Do you know how much would it be to send these babies to South America?
Pretty penny, let me tell you! Depends much on what you want to ship but, for example, the SX-64 would have costed 130 dollars to ship over here by airmail (she weighs around 20 kilo). That's why I never shipped it over here! My uncle brought it with him. That is one of my advantages, I send stuff to my family's house in the US, and whenever someone comes they bring something over here. It helps to reduce shipping costs (if you are not way impatient to receive some machines. I waited 2 years for the +4 and 1 for the SX64), and it also lets you buy more stuff, because some sellers wouldn't want to ship internationally. So I potentially can buy ANYTHING being auctioned in the US.

You could also consider surface shipping but I dont recommend it because it takes too damned long. If you are gonna ship it your way, ship it right Most I paid for shipping is for my MSX2... 9000 Yen!

Most of the machines I shipped over here were great buys.. for example, i paid like 15 dollars for my Spectrum+3... but with shipping it went up to 40 dollars. This was STILL a very reasonable price (they were selling one of those locally for 300 dollars! nutz!). I recommend you trying to score mega cheap machines if you are expecting to pay lots for shipping. Once you did a couple of transactions you will be able to calculate your total investment (And having handy the sites of each country's postal services is very helpful)
Quote:
I want to join the club and say... "Nothing Beats The Real Thing"... snif... I am tired of being called a lamulator lover...
That is the attitude!! you are on the right track!!!
Welcome! there is no way back! mwahaaahahhaaaaaa
Old 02 October 2002, 09:13   #66
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
I already warned my wife to be prepared, I will leash the old computer collector that is hidden inside me
I did that to my girlfriend too, and I really want to get into collecting stuff. The big problem is exactly that I live here in Brazil, and the shipping is expensive. With the dollar going about R$3,50 - 4,00 , it gets even harder. (I see what happened with Argentina happening very soon here in Brazil...oh no, it's already happening )

There's a possibility I may get a Vic-20 soon, so I will ending up have one ot those crap C= 8 bits machines

If someone wants to give a C64 , give it to me, not to fissuras, I heard he likes to open small orificies in his machines, God knows what for
Old 03 October 2002, 18:49   #67
Uukrul

The C128D arrived but I now have a big problem:

I've tried to format 5 1/4 HD disks but the fucking bastard refuses to format them (DD disks format OK). I formatted those disks back in my 386 days with the FDREAD util so they are formatted at 1.4 megs instead of 1.2.

Any advice? A low level format util? I only have 20 DD disks and hundreds of HD disks...

Old 03 October 2002, 19:37   #68
Unknown_K

Sorry HD disks wont format or work, you can only use DD.

Thats one reason I purchased 500 bulk 5.25 DD disks from a supplier on EBAY a while ago.
Old 03 October 2002, 22:23   #69
RetroMan

Yup No HD Disks on any C64 Floppy or C128D Only DD work !
Old 04 October 2002, 06:27   #70
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
Yup No HD Disks on any C64 Floppy or C128D Only DD work !
Not *completely* true

I have seen HD disks being used on C64s, I have two myself. HOWEVER, only 1541s are able to try and write to them.

Nevertheless, lots of data loss will occur if you do this. I have two partly-working HD disks here... the 1541 is fierce, if bet that if you try to format the head protection carton I think she would!

Anyway, get yourself an XE1541 cable , and 64HDD.. it fucking ROCKS
Old 04 October 2002, 20:14   #71
Uukrul

Is it normal that the music/sound of the C128D plays like shit?
I've tried the RF and sound outputs but all I get is a very distorted sound.

Please, help me!!

Old 04 October 2002, 20:42   #72
Unknown_K

Did you ever use a commidore 8 bit machine before so you know how they sound? If I were you I would take the machine apart to see if there is anything loose in the box.
Old 04 October 2002, 21:43   #73
Uukrul

No, but I'm 100% sure that the sound isn't right. Only the speech from the game Turrican sounds OK.

I'm going to kill the bitch who sold me the C128D as a 'FULLY TESTED MACHINE' (I paid 40$ of shipping costs)

Last edited by Uukrul; 04 October 2002 at 21:49.

Old 05 October 2002, 02:44   #74
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

@HD disks:

You can sometimes format them and write very small programs on them, but it will not last long. HD disks need a higher magnetical field strength than DD disks, but the 1541 cannot bring up enough magnetical field....
It may work better or less good with some 1541-II drives since these had about 4 or even more different drive mechanics built into.
But I would never ever use them if you want to keep what you are copying on them

@C-128 sound:

There were 2 different sound chips made for C64 & C128.
Old ( breadbox ) C64s, flat 128s and 128-D in plastic case have the old SID, while newer, flat C64s and 128-D in metall case have the new SID.
The new SID does sound a bit different than the old one, and it cannot play samples at a high volume ( sometimes you won't hear anything with sampled sound )

So if your C128D is a metll box one and you are used to old SID sound then you might think it is broken, but it isn't !
However, if the sound is completely different and distorted then there might be something wrong with your C128....
Old 05 October 2002, 03:04   #75
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by Overdoc
So if your C128D is a metll box one and you are used to old SID sound then you might think it is broken, but it isn't !
However, if the sound is completely different and distorted then there might be something wrong with your C128....
Is the metal case version and I've never heared a C64 (only emus) but the sound isn't normal

I've found these links:

http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/ckb/display.cgi?296
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/C128-IC.txt

Quote:
C128 CHIPS AND COMMON SYMPTOMS

906112-02 (6581) early 128 SID: 12 volt VDD
318013-01 (8580) late 128 SID: 9 volt VDD
No sound (check also transistor Q2), weak or bad sound of one or more voices.
Is my SID chip fucked?

Old 05 October 2002, 20:05   #76
jmmijo

@Uukrul, it says to check with the SID chip removed, I suppose this means the voltages, either 12VDC or 9VDC depending on your revision of the SID. I would carefully remove the chip, but only if it's socketed and check for bent/broken pins and dust in between the pins to make sure. Also note that sometimes the pins will have what looks like a white film on them, this is called oxidation, basically it's corrosion and I found you can use a pencil erasor to carefully clean the oxidation from the pins. Be careful not to bend or break them however. Oxidation will cause a weak or bad electrical connection between the pins on the chip and the socket. Of course if the SID is soldered directly to the mobo then there isn't much you can do without some reworking equipment for desoldering and soldering
Old 05 October 2002, 20:12   #77
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
I would carefully remove the chip, but only if it's socketed and check for bent/broken pins and dust in between the pins to make sure. Also note that sometimes the pins will have what looks like a white film on them, this is called oxidation, basically it's corrosion and I found you can use a pencil erasor to carefully clean the oxidation from the pins. Be careful not to bend or break them however.
Thanks jmmijo. I removed the chip (is socketed) and there aren't bent/broken pins. But after inserting it again the sound isn't fixed. I'll try the eraser trick because I remember that some pins have the white film (I used alcohol to clean them)

//edit: Still no luck

Last edited by Uukrul; 05 October 2002 at 20:53.

Old 05 October 2002, 21:04   #78
Uukrul

Has anyone a spare and working 8580 SID chip?

Old 05 October 2002, 21:44   #79
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Uukrul
Is it normal that the music/sound of the C128D plays like shit?
I've tried the RF and sound outputs but all I get is a very distorted sound.

Hey hey hey hey!! dont pull out any chips or do any other crazy shite, I think your SID is just fine!!!!

Just had a talk with a C64 freak from Spain who bought a couple of german C64Cs...and he had this RF sound problem!!!

I invite you to read this thread at the lemon board and check out if you can fix the problem this way I bet it works!

You crazy spaniards with yer crazy TV sets
Old 05 October 2002, 22:10   #80
jmmijo

Is this a PAL vs. NTSC issue? Basically meaning a timing problem which could be an issue with sound and some other timing critical events...