English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 02 November 2010, 12:32   #21
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabie View Post
also I don't like the indivision startup screen...there is a delay and I don't like it.
There is no delay. As soon as Indivision detects any other output than "greyscale", the startup screen is disabled. Indivision does not have the power to delay booting of the computer.

Jens
Old 03 November 2010, 01:27   #22
NovaCoder

Hiya Jens,

A few ideas for your next (or next next) IndivisionAGA

Secure mounting:

To fix the 'wobble' you could use those silly HD cradle holes which are just waiting to have something stuck into them.

Better output:

Have you seen the graphics filters used by Mame/Scummvm/DosBox/WinUAE to enhance old VGA screens up to more modern displays standards?

Why not take the Amiga's native signal (eg 320x200 8bit) and the perform some realtime post-processing to bump it up to say 1024x768 32bit with a higher refresh. The good thing about this approach is that the Amiga would remain 100% compatible but everything would look much better
Old 03 November 2010, 03:19   #23
desiv

Just a q: re Grafitti emulation. What exactly does that bring an AGA machine?
I've found this:

Palette: 256 on-screen from a choice of 262,144 colours.
Screen Modes:

* 640x256
* 320x256
* 160x256
* 80x256
* (Interlacing supported in all modes)

But AGA has 256 colors already.

Is it just that it's faster because of the Chunky modes?
Will WB be faster? (Drivers)
Or just programs specifically written for it?

Just wondering...

desiv
Old 03 November 2010, 04:46   #24
NovaCoder

It's faster because you don't need your CPU to do C2P. The 256 color limitation isn't that much of a big deal because you're not going to be doing any more in AGA anyway.

WB won't be faster because it's Planar not chunky.

The games/demos would have to be specifically written to add Grafitti support and the only game I know that currently supports it is ADOOM.
Old 03 November 2010, 12:01   #25
fishyfish
Banned

Mame like filters ? That's crazy talk. If I wanted blur-o-vision Id just squint As for Grafitti Trapped2 also supports it (and possibly the prequel).
Old 04 November 2010, 09:16   #26
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Games in lores would probably look fairly "blocky", so that kind of filter (at least on the X-axis) may indeed increase the gaming experience. For the Y-axis, we already have the scanline emulation, which seems to be quite popular (we get lots of eMails about that!). So yes, we'll think about an additional mode like that.

As for Graffiti, it's advantage under AGA is that the 256-colour hires screen is generated by a 16-colour S-Hires screen, which only uses 4 DMA slots, thus leaving the full 7MB/s access speed to chipmem. I doubt that a WB emulation using this mode is possible, but existing software like the Shapeshifter driver comes in handy.

Jens
Old 16 November 2010, 12:50   #27
Nostromo

Ok, this is a noob question, so don't shoot me ok

Most modern TFT monitors do not support 50hz, so getting a picture with indivision would be by using to force 60hz option which is not ideal as it results in uneven scrolling (at least that is what I read). Can a feature be added so Indivision doubles the output to 100hz so any monitor which support 100hz or more (many new ones do nowadays) can display picture?

Just an idea.
Old 20 November 2010, 06:42   #28
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

Sorry if this has been asked before. What is the ETA of the new Flickerfixer? Thanks!
Old 20 November 2010, 08:42   #29
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everblue View Post
Ok, this is a noob question, so don't shoot me ok

Most modern TFT monitors do not support 50hz, so getting a picture with indivision would be by using to force 60hz option which is not ideal as it results in uneven scrolling (at least that is what I read). Can a feature be added so Indivision doubles the output to 100hz so any monitor which support 100hz or more (many new ones do nowadays) can display picture?

Just an idea.
As 60hz is really producing bad tearing effects, Indivision uses 62.5Hz for the PAL output "forced over 60Hz" (as you call it). This still has a tearing effect, but it is not moving all over the screen.

100Hz is not supported by too many monitors, especially not TFTs. The next logical step would be to triple the pixel clock, resulting in 75Hz output for PAL. Indivision AGA MK2 will have enough memory performance to do that - and it has the exact same effect that you desire: Having the VBlanks synced.

You may not want to use that output on NTSC, as it would produce 90Hz output. The current Indivision turns an NTSC screen into 75Hz output if you're using the 1.25 mode, and we even get support requests because some monitors can't handle 75Hz. This is why the factory setting is now "60Hz for NTSC and 62.5Hz for PAL".

Jens
Old 20 November 2010, 08:44   #30
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eny- View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before. What is the ETA of the new Flickerfixer? Thanks!
It'll be next year.

Jens
Old 20 November 2010, 08:49   #31
jmmijo

I was hoping for HDMI support, but I doubt that could be done properly with the Amiga's output...
Old 20 November 2010, 09:00   #32
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
I was hoping for HDMI support, but I doubt that could be done properly with the Amiga's output...
DVI and HDMI are the same protocol basis, it's just that HDMI has sound in the signals as well (through separate wires). That's why there are properly working DVI->HDMI adapters, which are simple wire-adapters. These will work without any problems on Indivision AGA MK2.

Jens
Old 20 November 2010, 09:01   #33
slk486
Registered Looser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Just use a DVI-HDMI adapter
HDMI wouldn't be able to carry a DVI-A signal, so it's effectively ruled out.

Edit: Jens beat me to it
Old 20 November 2010, 09:32   #34
Damion

Quote:
100Hz is not supported by too many monitors, especially not TFTs. The next logical step would be to triple the pixel clock, resulting in 75Hz output for PAL. Indivision AGA MK2 will have enough memory performance to do that - and it has the exact same effect that you desire: Having the VBlanks synced.
Awesome! I like to keep one Amiga connected to a CRT for certain games and demos, needless to say 50Hz on a 2000's era CRT (short phosphor persistence) is absolutely devastating on the eyes. 75Hz will be *much* more tolerable... looks like I can finally lug the ol' Eizo Diamondtron back out of the garage.
Old 20 November 2010, 12:55   #35
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
As 60hz is really producing bad tearing effects, Indivision uses 62.5Hz for the PAL output "forced over 60Hz" (as you call it). This still has a tearing effect, but it is not moving all over the screen.
Does this mean that scrolling games will be slightly 'chuggy' when using the new Indivision?

This is one reason why I've stopped emulating Amigas and have gone back to the real thing. I could get smooth scrolling, but only if I ran at 60hz. The problem then was the games ran too fast.
Old 20 November 2010, 13:07   #36
slk486
Registered Looser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
Does this mean that scrolling games will be slightly 'chuggy' when using the new Indivision?
Unfortunately yes. Unless you have a perfect 50 or multiply thereof, there will be jitter
Old 20 November 2010, 13:38   #37
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Jens

Firstly I really am excited with the Indivision Mk2, I read previously that the Mk2 will have a direct Chunky Display Buffer - have I read this correctly?

will this (possibly) provide an RTG mode bidirect of the AGA chipset - like the IndiECS (if I read Oliver A's post correctly)?
Old 20 November 2010, 14:06   #38
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I heard the opposite though.... just rumours and speculation at this point.
Old 20 November 2010, 15:36   #39
Schoenfeld
electricky.

We are NOT planning a framebuffer mode in Indivision AGA MK2. However, we will implement the "image hold" bit that Indivision ECS has introduced: This will allow the programmer to turn off bitmap DMA, making the 15khz RGB output of the Amiga all black. If the "image hold" bit is set in the flickerfixer, the picture will not be updated from the (now black) Lisa output.

This will allow full-resolution full-colour images at high (=flicker-free) vertical frequencies, but with lower update rates (like the 2024 hedley-monitor). The effect is that the average CPU access is a lot faster, so using a 256-colour WB is not all that slow.

This to-be-developed-HighGFX mode will still not be able to replace a gfx card, but it might be enough to reduce the pain that you're having becaue you don't own one ;-)

Jens
Old 20 November 2010, 15:44   #40
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've seen for example with MAME on my Amiga with B1260 (no Indivision) is umplayable without a graphic card, only some games can run on it. Will it be a little better, faster with the Indivision MKII?