English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 23 July 2009, 01:27   #41
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
That is fantastic. I can't wait to see this, thank you for your hard work in getting this program to us.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie136 View Post
Right, here it is, the final version of CmEd, unless it doesn't work right ;-)

Download it from:

http://files.me.com/ronnie136/fwrx43

Feel free to host it here to if you want.

Regards

Paul

I cannot stress how much this is appreciated, I've been looking for this for years!! THANK YOU!!!
Old 23 July 2009, 03:08   #42
ronnie136

I hope it works ;-)
Old 23 July 2009, 13:03   #43
seuden
uber cool demi god

It works just as I thought it would thanks again.

With all your hard work looking into the code do you think it will ever be possible to actually ADD new players or ADD to the existing list of names? You've done a great job allowing us to choose from a list and edit an existing name, this would just put the cherry on top. Please don't waste any more time looking into it tho, I just wondered if you knew if it was possible.
Old 23 July 2009, 13:10   #44
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Reading this kind of thread gives me a happy day

Gratz Ronnie for taking all that time of your personal life to fulfill the wishes of some old retrogamers, that's just amazing. And gratz too for the baby
Old 23 July 2009, 17:43   #45
ronnie136

It was a very very long time ago, but I think we did look into adding/removing players, teams etc... If I remember correctly we decided it couldn't be done easily. The problem is down to the way we modify the CM data file. The file is a fixed size and we just patch/overwrite chunks of it. The game itself expects the file to be laid out in a certain way (with a specific number of teams and players) and it we add or remove players etc then the file size changes and the offsets to various data blocks with the file change also.

I could stick it on the wish list, but it may be another 13 years before I get round to looking at it ;-)
Old 23 July 2009, 17:44   #46
ronnie136

I posted the CmEd310 file up on AmiNet as well and it's had 8 downloads!! There must be some other diehard Amiga CM fans lurking out there!

http://aminet.net/package/game/edit/CmEd310
Old 23 July 2009, 17:54   #47
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
It was a very very long time ago, but I think we did look into adding/removing players, teams etc... If I remember correctly we decided it couldn't be done easily. The problem is down to the way we modify the CM data file. The file is a fixed size and we just patch/overwrite chunks of it. The game itself expects the file to be laid out in a certain way (with a specific number of teams and players) and it we add or remove players etc then the file size changes and the offsets to various data blocks with the file change also.
That's what I thought. I tried editing the windows .exe version and it's the same problem. You can change the text but you can't increase the amount of letters in the names or it it won't load. I'm gonna have a good look at editing the data with your editor on Saturday, I think I may be able to get round it, we'll see.

Quote:
I could stick it on the wish list, but it may be another 13 years before I get round to looking at it ;-)
Haha, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll still be playing it so it'll be worth the wait. :P

Quote:
I posted the CmEd310 file up on AmiNet as well and it's had 8 downloads!! There must be some other diehard Amiga CM fans lurking out there!

http://aminet.net/package/game/edit/CmEd310
Awesome .
Old 24 July 2009, 16:46   #48
seuden
uber cool demi god

Sorry to for the double post and sorry for keep pesturing you ronnie136, tell me if you want me to f off.

Is there a way we can change the Maximum Foreigners (4 in total) in a European Competition game rule?

EDIT: And is there a way to swap teams around?

Last edited by seuden; 24 July 2009 at 17:02.
Old 24 July 2009, 17:27   #49
ronnie136

I doubt either of these are possible, the editor changes the data file that the game uses, it doesn't make any changes to the game code itself, things like number of foreigners will be coded into the game logic rather than the data so i doubt it's possible using the current editor.
Old 24 July 2009, 17:49   #50
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
I doubt either of these are possible, the editor changes the data file that the game uses, it doesn't make any changes to the game code itself, things like number of foreigners will be coded into the game logic rather than the data so i doubt it's possible using the current editor.
Okily dokily, thanks for your reply.
Old 13 July 2010, 22:49   #51
highrise

Hey guys. Hard as this may be to believe, I stumbled across this thread by accident, and yes, I am the other co-author of CMED! Also very happy to see it still being used. You guys may be glad to know it is me that work on the names of the players, and, if I remember correctly, I also created a system for exporting all the data which could then be loaded in by another user of CMED. WHat this means is that if someone created modern data, they could save an export file for others to use. Anyway if anyone is still interested I could take a look.
Old 13 July 2010, 23:38   #52
seuden
uber cool demi god

Wow, hi Allan(?) and welcome to EAB.

I'd be very much interested if you would be so kind.

What do you mean by you "worked on the names of the players"? Please tell me you found a way of actually adding players/names to the database without replacing existing ones? Don't worry, I wouldn't be any less impressed with the work you two guys done if you haven't.

EDIT: I'm going to bed now and I bet I'll be unable to sleep :P
Old 14 July 2010, 00:55   #53
highrise

well, it was all a long time ago... I remember how it all came about though. First of all I created a simple editor which let you change attributes of players. That was CMED '1'. This got passed around quite a lot and then Paul (Ronnie) messaged me suggesting using Amos 2 (I think) to make a better interface. So we worked together on it. We split the work up, as I recall, Paul figured out a lot of stuff to do with the actual teams, team kits and stuff like that, and I worked on the players. That was Cmed '2'. I remember figuring out that all the player positions were stored in a single 8 bit number, that was pretty cool when we worked that out. Then I spent a long time looking at two individual save games - one just before a player left a club, and then just after he joined one. That was how we figured out how to move players from one club to another.

I developed the interface for CMED 3, and Paul added more stuff to do with things like how much money the clubs had and so on. And that was when I added what I always hoped would be a great feature - allowing you to export individual players and data. I hoped that people would be able to swap data disks, but I guess in those days we didn't have much internet so it wasn't that popular.

Now, about the names. That was something I worked on, and I can tell you how they are stored, as I recal. All the surnames and firstnames are stored in one block of data, and each name is separated by (I think) a zero character. So as you say, you could replace names, but not add new ones. However, if you wanted to use current data, like for example the freely available data that you can get for the PSP version of Football Manager, it would theoretically be possible to do it. What you would have to do is have a list of all the names you wanted to use, compared to all the ones in Champ Man 94. You could then run a comparison and match the names up as best you could matching all the names with the same number of letters as much as possible, so you could then create a new set of surnames (the first names are probably ok).

Anyway, that's what I would do. As for the foreigners rule, I doubt you could get around that, unless there is some kind of 'foreigner' flag on the countries which you could switch off (e.g Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland didn't count as foreign did they so something must have been programmed)

Also, I know we found that there were several revisions of CM that we had to account for, and we managed to get CM Italia editable as well. I don't know if CM Italia had those kind of restrictions, though if I remember rightly they had 2 points for a win at the time.

Anyway, it would certainly be a bit of fun to try and get that sort of thing working but to say I am rusty would be an understatement haha.

One funny story I can also add is that about five years ago I got a completely random call from Norway, from a bunch of guys who said they really wanted the unlocked version. I patched it up and sent it to them, and never heard from them again haha!

But I still have my Amiga 1200 and the original HD. I haven't fired it up in a good while but I guess most of the data is there - did Paul upload the source code? I'd be happy for that to be public domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Wow, hi Allan(?) and welcome to EAB.

I'd be very much interested if you would be so kind.

What do you mean by you "worked on the names of the players"? Please tell me you found a way of actually adding players/names to the database without replacing existing ones? Don't worry, I wouldn't be any less impressed with the work you two guys done if you haven't.

EDIT: I'm going to bed now and I bet I'll be unable to sleep :P
Old 14 July 2010, 10:57   #54
seuden
uber cool demi god

Thanks for the reply, it's nice to get a bit of history about something you've spent a lot of time using.

Paul kindly uploaded his latest version complete with registration restrictions removed. As far as I'm aware the source code wasn't uploaded, not that it would mean much to me.

The foreigner rule can be removed once the data has been updated (thanks to StingRay). More info can be seen here and here.

Again, I'd like to thank both Paul and yourself for taking the time to post on here and for such a great editor.
Old 14 July 2010, 16:10   #55
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Again, I'd like to thank both Paul and yourself for taking the time to post on here and for such a great editor.
Seconded!

Big thanks for your hard work on this all those years ago - it's a lot of fun seeing what can be done with it.
Old 23 July 2010, 02:16   #56
ronnie136

Evening all,

Give me a day or two and I'll dig out the source. Had to copy it to my pc and use and emulator to build the registration free version as the hard drive in my old Amiga 1200 had given up the ghost.

Paul aka Ronnie
Old 28 July 2010, 22:39   #57
ronnie136

CMED Source

Sorry for the delay, bit hectic at the moment, moving jobs, moving house......

Anyway,

The source code for CMED is here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/145398/cmed.zip

I haven't included any kind of license with it, all I ask is that if you download it and make changes to it, you share the updated source and compiled code with anyone who wants it for no charge.

Looking foward to seeing what you manage to do with it.

You'll need AMOS & AMOS compiler to build it.
Old 28 July 2010, 23:37   #58
seuden
uber cool demi god

Awesome thanks Paul
Old 14 November 2010, 03:32   #59
richyrandall

Hi there,

I play this game all the time on my Amiga Emulator, and have always wondered if there was an editor out there...

I've downloaded the editor by using the link from your earlier post, Seuden..... But I need some help getting it to work...

Is it meant to work with an emulator???

Any help would be great,

Thanks
Old 14 November 2010, 08:15   #60
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi richyrandall and welcome to EAB!

You need a Workbench environment where you can install (or rather copy) the editor on. Have a look at ClassicWB for example.