English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 24 August 2010, 17:05   #761
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I was content with "From Paris with Love". Its quite funny and the movie never gets boring. I would have been fine with it if the movie were 30 minutes longer to allow it to be just a little less rushed though, and perhaps allow for a little more character development.

Quote:
the only redeeming factor I could draw from it was that Angie looks completely hot in a black wig. Unfortunately, that's about it.
Meh, she's way too skinny nowadays to fall in the "hot" category anymore. Better check out "Mojave Moon" to see her in full glory.

Aaaaah, reducing women to sexual objects. Its a privilege, not a right
Old 27 August 2010, 13:44   #762
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Had the pleasure of seeing Prince of Persia.

I was reluctant to see it because

a) it got disheartening reviews
b) its a game adaptation, which usually suck ass

Not so this time, the movie is highly entertaining and beautiful to the eye and ear. I love how certain elements of the movie hint towards the game, such as the camera flying everywhere to show the (acrobatic) solution to the problem at hand. A gimmick to please fans I'm sure, and I'm only to happy to be influenced by it!

The plot itself does not try to copy the game, although the basic idea of it is still there. That's a good thing IMO, it makes the movie more entertaining for people who have played and finished the game.

Speaking of acrobatics, there is plenty of that stuff going around to make it true to the game. Add fitting actors for their characters and plenty of humor and I can only conclude it is a great action movie.

IMO of course, your mileage may vary.
Old 29 August 2010, 22:29   #763
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
I enjoyed the Expendables.

There, I admitted it.
I loved it... No story, aberage to poor acting, but come on.. All these stars and lots of action (Esp last 20 mins)..
Old 30 August 2010, 02:28   #764
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Had the pleasure of seeing Prince of Persia.

I was reluctant to see it because

a) it got disheartening reviews
b) its a game adaptation, which usually suck ass

Not so this time, the movie is highly entertaining and beautiful to the eye and ear. I love how certain elements of the movie hint towards the game, such as the camera flying everywhere to show the (acrobatic) solution to the problem at hand. A gimmick to please fans I'm sure, and I'm only to happy to be influenced by it!

The plot itself does not try to copy the game, although the basic idea of it is still there. That's a good thing IMO, it makes the movie more entertaining for people who have played and finished the game.

Speaking of acrobatics, there is plenty of that stuff going around to make it true to the game. Add fitting actors for their characters and plenty of humor and I can only conclude it is a great action movie.

IMO of course, your mileage may vary.
A Chinese friend of mine brought it over last night, he had just got back from China to see his family and bought it when he was over there but i didn't enjoy the movie because -:

1: It was dubbed completely in Chinese (nothing wrong with if it has subtitles)

2: Whoever wrote the English subtitles should have been shot because they were COMPLETELY unintelligible so as a consequence i could not understand a single thing that was happening except for the imagery onscreen.. lol But then i shouldn't be too harsh! at least the Chinese person that did the subtitles at least made an effort to learn another language whereas with myself and a good majority of others from Western nations, we know only English and complain when English is bad!

Anyway, going by the imagery onscreen (and all the hot ladies) it looked like it might have goodish
Old 30 August 2010, 11:57   #765
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
1: It was dubbed completely in Chinese (nothing wrong with if it has subtitles)
Potentially hilarious if it is the right movie!

The movie I saw (again) this weekend is a secret. All I can say is that you should remember the fifth of November. The second time around it wasn't so much fun anymore I can say.

(okay, after that it is not a secret anymore which one it is, but what the heck...)
Old 30 August 2010, 19:20   #766
skateblind
Village Idiot

Watched the Dune mini-series and it does more justice to the books than David Lynch's movie.

I also watched the Children of Dune mini-series sequel and that had a lot of bits missing that were in the book, but I can understand why. You really need to read the books to understand the sequel properly though.

Last edited by skateblind; 31 August 2010 at 03:08.
Old 31 August 2010, 00:45   #767
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
Watched the Dune mini-series and I it does more justice to the books than David Lynch's movie.
Yes, but the Lynch's film got the feeling better. With Lynch you can almost feel the heat on your skin.
Old 31 August 2010, 02:32   #768
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Yes, but the Lynch's film got the feeling better. With Lynch you can almost feel the heat on your skin.
Agreed, but it is almost like he hadn't read the book at all and made the film based on what he read in the synopsis.
Old 31 August 2010, 09:48   #769
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Let's hope Berg will get it right.
Old 31 August 2010, 10:43   #770
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I also watched the Children of Dune mini-series sequel and that had a lot of bits missing that were in the book, but I can understand why. You really need to read the books to understand the sequel properly though.
I don't really agree there - CoD is quite faithful to the book.

The one thing that does not come out properly in the movie is the concept of the golden path which makes the second half of the movie harder to follow - but even that is understandable because even in the book you only get a glimpse of what it really is, you need to read God Emperor of Dune to understand what it is.

That's just the penalty you have to suffer for not reading the books
Old 31 August 2010, 17:38   #771
skateblind
Village Idiot

Don't get me wrong, I liked the shows, they just could have explained it a little better.

SPOILER:
Highlight below with your mouse.

What about Leto's transformation? They don't explain why he is doing it, but it does in the book. The do explain the reason for the Golden Path in the CoD book, saving the human race from extinction, but I don't remember hearing anything like that in the film. It also doesn't show Leto going round and busting up the qanats. They changed a few bits too, like how people died, but those bits are not important.

@Gilgamesh, if it is Peter Berg you were talking about, then I believe he is not directing it anymore apparently.
Old 31 August 2010, 17:50   #772
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I liked the shows, they just could have explained it a little better.

SPOILER:

@Gilgamesh, if it is Peter Berg you were talking about, then I believe he is not directing it anymore apparently.
You just completely ruined it for me.

Please post a warning before posting a spoiler!
Old 01 September 2010, 13:54   #773
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
The hidden spoiler question is directly related to the golden path - as I mentioned it is not explained properly in the movie
Old 03 September 2010, 02:46   #774
Jimbo

oppss nevermind

Last edited by Jimbo; 03 September 2010 at 02:58.
Old 05 September 2010, 00:07   #775
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
I loved it... No story, aberage to poor acting, but come on.. All these stars and lots of action (Esp last 20 mins)..
The 'story' is barely enough to give the guys some motivation to kick the shit out of everyone else and boy, they do that very thoroughly Almost no CGI, story or dialogue. Just good solid action that you could've seen that way in the 80's The Willis and Schwarzenegger cameo was quite patched on, but hey you can't leave them out, can you?
Old 10 September 2010, 21:53   #776
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Today I saw the Expendables. Great movie to see on the big screen, if you are a fan of explosions, breaking bones, a gigantic bullet count and explosions

After seeing it mentioned here somewhere, I also saw the documentary King of Kong. The expendables is a great action movie with a definite adrenaline rush - King of Kong however made me want to go out and punch somebody. Some people in this world are just sacks of dung and that documentary proves it!
Old 13 September 2010, 14:06   #777
andrew5258

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Thanks gimbal

I watched some oldtimers on the weekend. I was in the mood for some 'classic' action movies that were : Lethal Weapon 4 and Robocop 2.
While Lethal Weapon 4 was like I remembered it (good action scenes and a not too bad humour) I had completely forgotten that Robocop 2 was not very entertaining Ah well watched it anyway and decided that it should be wiped from my 'classics' list
Lethal Weapon 4 is one of the best movie of the old times superb action and the forgotten classical stuff,,,

Old 16 September 2010, 17:54   #778
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Anybody see the Taking of Pelham 123?

I did and its actually quite a slick and suspenseful movie! I very much enjoyed watching it.

Also saw Push. Boring as hell, that's all I really have to say about it. I wouldn't bother with it unless you've seen every other superhero type movie in the world already. Luckily a new one is released every two months, so you won't ever have to.
Old 16 September 2010, 18:08   #779
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yes, i've seen The Taking of Pellham 123 remake, pretty dull imho. The original with Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw is far better.
Old 25 September 2010, 14:16   #780
skateblind
Village Idiot

Watched Clash of the Titans last night. I liked it, even though it has very little substance. One of the creatures looked pretty cool, they are called the Jin and either the name or the look was familiar, but I can't remember where I might have seen something like that before.

I enjoyed it more than Jason and the Argonauts, which I guess is the film it is partly based on.