English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 30 July 2010, 10:49   #741
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

This Saturday I'm going to see if Inception is really worth that third spot in the IMDB top 250. So far I have had nothing to critique in any of Nolan's movies, but I'm still going with a reserved attitude - I'm pretty sure it is hype (the director of the Dark Knight + Leotardo) that drives this movie so high right now.
Old 30 July 2010, 11:40   #742
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Hey, I'm taking the lady out to watch it this Saturday too gimby

It's probably hyped up, but still the trailer got me excited I must admit. This is the kind of movie I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy. And I find you a bit harsh with Leotardo, I think he evolved into a great actor - he's picky with his movies choices and he managed to give the right turn to his career in my opinion.
Old 30 July 2010, 12:33   #743
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgeek View Post
And I find you a bit harsh with Leotardo, I think he evolved into a great actor - he's picky with his movies choices and he managed to give the right turn to his career in my opinion.
Yes I agree, but there are some actors that I am just completely fed up with. Leonardo, Nick Cage and Matt Damon are at the top three of that list. Time for some fresh talent!
Old 31 July 2010, 02:44   #744
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Don't watch "The Lovely Bones" it's dogshit.
Old 31 July 2010, 04:40   #745
skateblind
Village Idiot

Grown Ups was hilarious and very cheesy.
Old 31 July 2010, 13:25   #746
Jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Don't watch "The Lovely Bones" it's dogshit.
Yeah I couldnt get into that at all. Think I might watch Moon tonight though, one of those movies I always avoided, but after seeing the praise for it here I must give it ago. (even if it is like 2001 ) joking
Old 01 August 2010, 10:54   #747
blade002
Zone Friend

I finally watched Moon last night and i loved it! As some others have said in this thread, it is a completely different movie than 2001 with only a couple of influences i can note with that being solitude and the HAL style computer. I highly recommend it to those for whom have not seen it

Although i am not going to get into a debate about the movie as i have noticed here already because you have either seen it or you haven't and that is all there is to it!
Old 01 August 2010, 10:59   #748
blade002
Zone Friend

Another movie i saw was [ Show youtube player ] which is another excellent movie!
Old 02 August 2010, 10:31   #749
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well, I saw Inception. And I urge everyone to go see it, because it really is that good. As a movie does it belong at the #3 spot? No, not really. But it just has something epic about it. The original plot development, the technical achievements, even the chosen actors just fit like a glove in the movie, making it all a seamless whole.

But whatever you do, don't judge the movie by the trailer - it does a wonderful job to make you curious, but what it shows is absolutely *not* what the movie is all about (like always). Above all, it is everything but a CGI crapfest, in fact CGI was used far less that I expected. And even though this movie doesn't contain a very "deep" plot (quoted, to know why you'll need to see the movie), it isn't plot driven but imagination driven. And boy does that run deep throughout this movie, fantastic.

I did leave with a bit of a head ache though. Not because the movie is difficult, but because it is told in such a way that it continuously leaves you wondering "wtf is happening?", and thus you have to give the movie your undivided attention every second of it to make sense of it all. I simply wasn't used to having to do that anymore!

Now THAT is what I call entertainment.
Old 02 August 2010, 10:38   #750
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Gaaaah missus was not doing well on Saturday so we didn't go....darnit!

I have to go!
Old 03 August 2010, 10:42   #751
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

There is always next Saturday

Before the movie I saw a trailer of the Expendables.

There is another movie that is instantly going on my Epic list without having seen it yet. Stallone, Schwartzenegger, Willis, Jet Li, Statham, Rourke, Lundgren and Eric Roberts all crammed into one movie.

Yep, the commercial machine has worked its magic on me already.
Old 11 August 2010, 18:15   #752
skateblind
Village Idiot

Sorcerer's Apprentice was ok, nothing special, think Karate Kid, but with magic.
Dinner for Schmucks has a few good laughs, but is also made from a mold.
The Other Guys is a great little comedy and recommend it out of the three. Cast contains Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, The Rock and my favourite Samuel L Jackson.

Last edited by skateblind; 11 August 2010 at 18:22.
Old 11 August 2010, 18:18   #753
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
The Other Guys is a great little comedy, I recommend it out of the three. Cast contains Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, The Rock and my favourite Samuel L Jackson.
Hm, nice cast. Definitely going on the list.
Old 12 August 2010, 14:31   #754
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Have to agree about Inception. Surprisingly great and intellectually stimulating film. The headache I had after watching it was worth it.
Old 13 August 2010, 13:59   #755
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Have to agree about Inception. Surprisingly great and intellectually stimulating film. The headache I had after watching it was worth it.
I remembered the last time I experienced it: it was after watching Memento, not surprisingly also from the same director. Yay for movies that can draw your undivided attention!
Old 16 August 2010, 13:38   #756
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

unfortunately, I went to see Predators in the cinemas yesterday.

What a waste. It would have been a nice homage to the original movie if only they had realized what it was that made the first movie fun: the crazy, likable and most importantly quotable characters. This movie severely lacks those type of characters and thus is mostly devoid of any entertainment value.
Old 19 August 2010, 12:31   #757
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I enjoyed the Expendables.

There, I admitted it.
Old 19 August 2010, 13:41   #758
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
I enjoyed the Expendables.

There, I admitted it.
Is it possible to understand what stallone is saying in his old age or did they dub over him with lines from his previous films?
Old 19 August 2010, 13:50   #759
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
Is it possible to understand what stallone is saying in his old age or did they dub over him with lines from his previous films?
Actually I think he is improving with age, you don't even need subtitles for the Expendables
Old 24 August 2010, 16:28   #760
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I was disappointed with Salt. While the story rollicks along at a breakneck pace, I felt that the movie never really found its own sense of rhythm.

I also found that I couldn't get attached to the ancillary characters, because there wasn't enough of them on screen, or they were rapidly killed off; and I couldn't form any sort of bond or understanding with the main character because her identity was a mystery throughout most of the film.

I had high expectations for this flick, but after leaving the cinema, the only redeeming factor I could draw from it was that Angie looks completely hot in a black wig. Unfortunately, that's about it.