English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 August 2010, 18:25   #161
Amigaman

alexh;

Yes this is true, but if we are talking about what NEW hardware we would like, then a combined solution would be good so it doesn't tie up the PCMCIA slot which can be better served housing my CD rom adapter squirrel SCSI, or a flashcard reader.

Plus, don't you need a little adapter to fix the reset line? Im still fresh back into all this.

Oo! how about a PCMCIA port multiplier? No idea if this would be possible, sure someone can tell me I am talking gibberish!
Old 17 August 2010, 18:42   #162
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Why would you love USB? I never understood why anyone made a Native Amiga USB host in the first place! Let alone how people were able to sell it.
I can see what you're saying. USB sounds great, but if I really think about it, I can do almost everything with PCMCIA. Just not at the same time.
I get network OR storage. I still think USB would be nice, as thumbdrives are just so much easier to use than CF (or) cards in most PCs.
(My stupid Dell Laptop doesn't have PCMCIA, it has ExpressCard instead. Yes, I can get an adapter, but.. )

That's probably why I can't justify USB at the prices they want. It would be nice, but I can do virtually everything without it..

Quote:
Do you not think the Indivision AGA 1200 was one of those products?
Interesting.. I think the Indivision is too expensive (for me). Not that it's not great and not worth it... But all I want is to see my Amiga output fairly sharp.
It wasn't worth $150 for me to do that...
So, I went for an s-video adapter, which I'm happy with. I also have an s-video to VGA adapter to see it on my PC monitor. All told, about $65.

I would prefer a simpler solution, but not at twice the price.

Quote:
Lets Tax the devoted fans (again)
It's always worked before..

I also agree about the browser issue. Without an accelerator and lots of RAM, browsing is finally going to major problem with Flash and HTML5 taking over... With a fast CPU and lots of RAM, somone "could" port the open source FLASH players to kind of keep up, but who knows if that will happen. However, you could still have an active Amiga internet community. You will just be limited to Amiga-specific sites kind of... Sites that don't use newer features.

desiv
p.s. You're a 30-something? Man, I'm old..
Old 17 August 2010, 19:57   #163
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigaman View Post
a solution would be good [that] doesn't tie up the PCMCIA slot which can be better served housing my CD rom adapter squirrel SCSI, or a flashcard reader.
Would you really want to pay more just to be able to use ethernet and a CD-ROM or flash card reader at the same time?

Quote:
Plus, don't you need a little adapter to fix the reset line? Im still fresh back into all this.
Not 100% familiar with the ins and outs but I'm pretty sure that you can just use software.

http://aminet.net/search?query=card+reset

Quote:
how about a PCMCIA port multiplier? No idea if this would be possible
I only gave it 2 mins thought but pretty sure it is not possible. Not and be software compatible.
Old 17 August 2010, 21:23   #164
thgill

I would settle for some WPA2 drivers for the existing Prism chipset wifi cards.

WEP might as well be inviting folks to break into your Wifi network.
Old 17 August 2010, 22:13   #165
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thgill View Post
I would settle for some WPA2 drivers for the existing Prism chipset wifi cards.
Is that even a software function? Are you sure the Prism2 chipset can do WPA2? If it is perhaps you can ask Neil Cafferkey (driver author) to investigate? He is still active I think.

http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/prism2

Quote:
WEP might as well be inviting folks to break into your Wifi network.
With MAC filtering enabled?
Old 18 August 2010, 00:28   #166
utri007
mä vaan

Would it be possible use 680x0 softwarecores with fpga to produce cheap turbo card?
Old 18 August 2010, 01:46   #167
thgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
Is that even a software function? Are you sure the Prism2 chipset can do WPA2? If it is perhaps you can ask Neil Cafferkey (driver author) to investigate? He is still active I think.

http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/prism2
Good question. I was under the impression it was a software issue, but perhaps its not. I thought for sure the Prism chipsets supported WPA though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
With MAC filtering enabled?
MAC filtering is completely useless. Anyone who might even consider breaking into a wifi network can easily sniff out the MAC addy and spoof it. Quick Google search turns up easy instructions on doing it.

MAC filtering on a wifi network is like putting a sticker in your window on your house saying you have a security system.

Stops only the very most casual of thieves.

Last edited by thgill; 18 August 2010 at 03:35.
Old 18 August 2010, 03:49   #168
desiv

Quote:
MAC filtering is completely useless.
No it's not. You say so right here:

Quote:
Stops only the very most casual of thieves.
And my guess is that almost all wi-fi thieves are casual thieves.

They'll poke around looking for free wi-fi. Maybe use a piece of software to find the SSID if it's hidden...

But MAC spoofing, while not difficult, is a conscious act; and the person has gone from a casual "borrower" to an intentional thief. Very different in a court of law.

Of course, encryption is always better, but MAC filtering and hiding your SSID will stop a huge percentage of problems.

The people it won't stop? They are probably very motivated if they don't just go elsewhere where it's easy. They also might be good enough to use your open bluetooth to get your WPA keys anyway.
(Not you, I'm sure you don't have bluetooth open ever, I'm just throwing out an example..) ;-)

desiv
Old 18 August 2010, 05:09   #169
thgill

But MAC filtering gives a false sense of security. If its all you have, its a little better than nothing. However, in this day and age, there is no reason to only rely on such a flawed security method. People in general (not specifically you) need to be educated on why this stuffs important.

Someone breaks into your wifi and downloads child pron or makes terrorist threats or downloads a leaked early version of the summers blockbuster movie ( ), than you are the one whose ass is on the line. Especially with a freaking spoofed MAC addy that points right back to your machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
But MAC spoofing, while not difficult, is a conscious act; and the person has gone from a casual "borrower" to an intentional thief. Very different in a court of law.
borrower?

So I guess if I go over to my neighbors house and plug in an extension cable into an outside outlet and run it over to my place thats much different than just breaking out a window and running the cable from inside their place?

Whilst I did "break in", I am still stealing a service/item that doesn't belong to me and that wasn't offered as free to take.

Course this is all academic as the courts (at least in the US) still have problems with wrapping their head around things in the internet/computer age. "Spoofed MAC what? Boy don't be lieing...we know you gots that kiddie . Life in prison for you!!"

Besides...I still want a wifi card for my A1200 (pcmcia or clockport) that supports modern encryption methods. I love it, but not enough to drop my security down to WEP.
Old 18 August 2010, 07:37   #170
desiv

Quote:
Someone breaks into your wifi and downloads child pron or makes terrorist threats or downloads a leaked early version of the summers blockbuster movie ( ), than you are the one whose ass is on the line. Especially with a freaking spoofed MAC addy that points right back to your machine.
Wow! People must really want to make you look bad! :-)

So, when you had a land-line (or if you still do), did you make sure to lock your TNI (the box on your house where you phone line comes in) so someone couldn't walk up and plug in a phone and make terrorist threats?
True, it's not as lo-key as sitting in a car with a laptop. But believe me, if you have a belt with telephone equipment, no one will question you.

So, do people routinely lock those boxes? (They have loops for locks.) I doubt it.. Low risk...

It's a percentage game..

Of course, security risk/benefit analysis is a bit out of scope here.. :-)

desiv

Hey, do you have a facebook page? I always love it when security conscous people are on facebook? :-) :-)
Old 18 August 2010, 09:06   #171
Amigaman

Quote:
Would you really want to pay more just to be able to use ethernet and a CD-ROM or flash card reader at the same time?
Yes I would!.

Don't forget that Amigakit is a business, and almost uniquely is competing with a market not of new parts, but against second hand. They can almost never beat the pricing of second hand and as such must offer functionality and support to stay competative. I have no problem with them turning a profit, that way they may be able to stay in the market a little longer. I think its time that some of us, who have been shy in the past about buying kit, put our hands in our pockets.

You might look at me and say, "Hah - like you can talk!" but don't be fooled. I may have been away a while from the scene, but I got my first 500 in 1990, and 1200s since 95, and I have spend a lot of money supporting my various machines including purchasing a Picasso 4, a micronik tower (funny plastic mk1!) zorro board, Blizzard 1260, and loads more kit to boot. If ever I bought drives, I always bought from Amiga dealers, even though they were more expensive.

We don't have the luxury of for example a £5 USB card in our tiny marketplace; we have chosen our path to support Amiga. I am not saying buy something you don't need, but don't put off buying something; you might not get another chance

Quote:
Is that even a software function? Are you sure the Prism2 chipset can do WPA2?
Er doesn't that strengthen an argument for a new chipset based network card? I think someone called Cammy mentioned another network adapter that plugs into the clockport, but it had no drivers?? wwould this one support WPA2 if drivers were written?

btw Alexh, Amigakit started this thread to find out what people wanted, and get ideas. They can decide what is viable and what isn't, you really don't have to shoot down ideas for them.
Old 18 August 2010, 09:55   #172
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I would!.
That is what Amigakit want to hear.

Quote:
Er doesn't that strengthen an argument for a new chipset based network card?
Turns out that Prism2 does support WPA. But not in hardware. WEP is done in hardware (which is why the author only did WEP).

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost...28&postcount=2
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=34713

This sounds like a development that AmigaKit could sponsor in return for an exclusive license for EasyNet?

Neil Cafferkey is already being offered a $2147 bounty write something for AROS which he doesn't look like he's accepted

http://www.power2people.org/bounty_054.html

Perhaps he could work on AmigaOS 3.x at the same time if the money was enough?

Quote:
you really don't have to shoot down ideas for them.
Sorry if it read that way but I wasn't. I was qualifying that you understood that an alternative or workaround existed. AmigaKit will know about all these and so I think you need to say "you really want this feature regardless" for them to consider it.

Last edited by alexh; 18 August 2010 at 10:16.
Old 18 August 2010, 13:33   #173
thgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Hey, do you have a facebook page? I always love it when security conscous people are on facebook? :-) :-)

lol...sadly I do. Its at the GFs request. Weak...I know.

Quote:

Turns out that Prism2 does support WPA. But not in hardware. WEP is done in hardware (which is why the author only did WEP).
Ouch. Pure software encryption sounds like a cpu hog for something like a lowely Amiga. Probably needs at least an 040 or 060 to make it usable.
Old 19 August 2010, 15:17   #174
cv643d

So Mr AmigaKit when can we preorder our BlizzardPPC clone 060, dual SDRAM slots with 333MHz PPC and 733MHz Pentium 3 co-processor?

Do you think you will be able to integrate PCI slots and a soundcard on the BPPC clone?
Old 19 August 2010, 19:24   #175
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
So Mr AmigaKit when can we preorder our BlizzardPPC clone 060, dual SDRAM slots with 333MHz PPC and 733MHz Pentium 3 co-processor?

Do you think you will be able to integrate PCI slots and a soundcard on the BPPC clone?
That'll be the day when FOL dresses up as Santa. Comes down your chimney, strips off wearing a bikini dancing to the YMCA
Old 19 August 2010, 19:55   #176
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
That'll be the day when FOL dresses up as Santa. Comes down your chimney, strips off wearing a bikini dancing to the YMCA
I would pay good money to see that..... and then promptly put it up on youTube
Old 19 August 2010, 19:55   #177
nujack
Zone Friend

"A 68060 card which takes SDRAM and can run at 90-100MHz target price £150 without 060 (so people can upgrade what they got)."
That's what my miggy needs and I would buy.
Dream off ...
Old 20 August 2010, 11:06   #178
cv643d

Blue LED replacement for A1200D case?
Old 20 August 2010, 12:40   #179
Ratte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
Blue LED replacement for A1200D case?
New Commodore-branded DD-Disks?
Old 20 August 2010, 12:49   #180
Cammy