English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 08 September 2009, 23:19   #1
Leffmann

Classic cracktro, but where is the tune from?

Everyone has probably seen and heard this classic:

http://flashtro.com/page.php?id=26

But where is the tune from? I've heard both Riku Kangas AKA Flotsam and more often Felix Schmidt being credited as the original composer, but someone suggested the tune is really from some old arcade game. Does anyone know for sure where it's originally from and who composed it?
Old 08 September 2009, 23:26   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Its an original tune by Felix Schmidt
Old 09 September 2009, 03:15   #3
hitchhikr

That reminds me how much i hate those flash remakes, the tune even loops before the end ! I think it's an original one from Schmidt too, i converted it and the replay and used it for an intro 2 years ago.
Old 09 September 2009, 11:42   #4
Leffmann

You're right, Felix did compose the original. He calls himself Enzo Cage these days and on www.enzocage.de you can read about this and other old Amiga tunes. Thanks.

It's a good example of how the music can make something plain, or at least something that isn't ground breaking, to look great. Enigma is a good example too. It has lived on the amazing song by Tip and Firefox.
Old 09 September 2009, 11:55   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Enigma is a good example too. It has lived on the amazing song by Tip and Firefox.
I have to disagree, sure, the soundtrack by Tip&Firefox is great but back when Enigma was released it also had some nice effects (T.V. cube, vector world etc.) thus I wouldn't call it a "plain" demo, not at all.
Old 09 September 2009, 12:12   #6
pmc
gone

@ Leffman - gotta agree with Sting on this one I'm afraid my friend.

The music's great in Enigma but, in my opinion, no demo stands on just the music or just the graphics or just the code. The three have to combine to produce something with that little extra 'magic' that makes a demo stand out and get remembered.

The code in Enigma is cool - the TV cube was a real jaw dropper when I first saw it, I also love the hidden points ball and the Star Wars scroller too. And as for graphics - you gotta love the raytraced fractal. \o/
Old 09 September 2009, 13:29   #7
Leffmann

What I meant was that Enigma was not plain, like the Paranoimia intro was, but it wasn't ground breaking either.

It made a big impression on me the first time I saw it, but I think there were more impressive demos around at the same time. I feel that the music in Enigma was what gave the overall composition its impact, and not the effects even if they're by all means good.
Old 09 September 2009, 16:52   #8
musashi9

Send a message via ICQ to musashi9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhikr View Post
That reminds me how much i hate those flash remakes, the tune even loops before the end ! I think it's an original one from Schmidt too, i converted it and the replay and used it for an intro 2 years ago.
"HATE" is such a strong word. This is the second time I have seen you post on forums saying such things about my site. Why do you "HATE" something that doesn't harm anyone and doesn't claim to be perfect and is 100% free for people to enjoy.

Flashtro is just for fun, it is nothing serious. I made the site because I love cracktros and so do many other people.
It is not very nice to read such strong words like HATE, especially when your opinion on the flashtros wasn't asked for. It is just something you have to say whenever someone mentions my site.

SIGH! I don't know what I or my site did to make you have such HATRED towards it.

It is just a bit of fun. Fun things shouldn't cause hate, should they?
Old 09 September 2009, 18:47   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I'll have to pipe up here and say I like the Flashtro stuff (not so keen on some of the cracking 'tutorials'), but the cracktros look great.

Crikey, even two of mine are on there... that must have been tricky to convert!

One thing I hate about Youtube is if you'd never heard on an Amiga before, you'd think everything was a jerky mess, at least the Flashtro stuff is as it was on a real Amiga.
Old 09 September 2009, 20:05   #10
pmc
gone

Well, I for one love cracktros and demos.

@ Galahad - out of interest, which ones are yours? It's nice to know whose work I'm admiring.
Old 09 September 2009, 20:12   #11
Asle

To the topic, this song used by Paranoimia was first released by Felix Schmidt in "The Suntronic disc 5" production. This song, amongst 33 others on the disk, was labeled as "Suntronic - Years old - 1988".
There's no exact mention of the author, but other songs are labeled as having been composed by someone else, originally. I guess that makes it a composition by Mr. Schmidt himself. It can probably be cleared up by asking him

Sylvain
Old 09 September 2009, 20:37   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Well, I for one love cracktros and demos.

@ Galahad - out of interest, which ones are yours? It's nice to know whose work I'm admiring.
Worms, Alien Breed 3D and Turbo Trax

First two are complete crap, but were done for specific reasons, and Turbo Trax was just something knocked up that was different, and again, another Fairlight logo that had to be used.
Old 08 October 2009, 00:26   #13
Evore
SuperDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi9 View Post
"HATE" is such a strong word. This is the second time I have seen you post on forums saying such things about my site. Why do you "HATE" something that doesn't harm anyone and doesn't claim to be perfect and is 100% free for people to enjoy.

Flashtro is just for fun, it is nothing serious. I made the site because I love cracktros and so do many other people.
It is not very nice to read such strong words like HATE, especially when your opinion on the flashtros wasn't asked for. It is just something you have to say whenever someone mentions my site.

SIGH! I don't know what I or my site did to make you have such HATRED towards it.

It is just a bit of fun. Fun things shouldn't cause hate, should they?
Keep up the good work! I have enjoyed visiting your site for years!
Old 08 October 2009, 00:48   #14
Peter
Still an Amiga user

The music is excellent on the Turbo Trax Flashtro - is there somewhere I could download that track?
Old 08 October 2009, 09:56   #15
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
The music is excellent on the Turbo Trax Flashtro - is there somewhere I could download that track?
Attached, have fun.
Attached Files
File Type: lha mod.lha (5.4 KB, 167 views)
Old 08 October 2009, 11:21   #16
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks StingRay !
Old 09 October 2009, 21:42   #17
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evore View Post
Keep up the good work!
Seconded. It's great that someone likes the old intros enough to keep the flame alight.

Anyone who has one of their productions remade in this way should treat it as a huge compliment.