English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 08 October 2009, 03:35   #1
Mogilny

Amiga demo scene nostalgia!

I'm sitting here getting overwhelmed with nostalgia from reading about the old Amiga times. Wonderful forums, really fun to browse.

I never left any big marks in the Amiga demo scene, I made some gfx for a few intros and was the leader/organizer (lol) in the pretty unknown groups Galaxy and Nirvana but otherwise I mostly swapped. However, my neighbour produced the Equinox European Top 20 so the demos I didn't get from my swapping I got from him which summed up in almost all of the famous ones. I also got most of the rumours about what happend on the scene thru this channel. I was pretty young at the time (I followed the scene between 11-14 yo I think) so all of this made a big impression on me. I even went to two demo parties in Sweden, which was a big thing in that age. Going away to a city 200 km away and staying for three days, yay!

Well, I don't really know where this post is going right now, I just got so overwhelmed so I needed to write something. But to the point of the thread - what's the things from the demo scene you miss most? The demos, the parties, the groups etc? Or what gives you the most nostalgia from the old days?

Fire away!
Old 08 October 2009, 08:57   #2
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Well, for me, I wasn't involved in the creation of demos, I was only on the spectator side, even if I've been doing quite a lot of creative stuff (GFX or music) with computers back in the days. But I always LOVED demos.

Nostalgia's in my nickname and thinking about it, what I'm the most nostalgic about as of today, was the feeling we were pioneers. Everything was still to be made somehow, and we felt like we were part of a kind of elite I think...not in a condescending way, I mean, only that computers were not so popular amongst the average Joe's, but we knew computers were gonna get bigger and bigger, and we were part of it. Everyday brought something new. There was a kind of overwhelming magic in the air. And this magic is kind of lost today I think...

Ah, nostalgia
Old 08 October 2009, 12:26   #3
BrooksterMax

I read some of the stuff on the demos - but what the hell were the parties? That sounds awesome.

I was too young anyway to have gone, but what happened? How were they organised and where were they held?
Old 08 October 2009, 12:29   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

There still are demo parties Have a look here for example : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43727
Old 08 October 2009, 12:33   #5
DH
Global Moderator

Actually TCD there is a site that catalogues all the up and coming demo parties around the world, I just can't think of the site atm I don't think they are all Amiga related, but there's quite a lot of them going on.

EDIT: Here it is http://www.demoparty.net/

Last edited by DH; 08 October 2009 at 12:39.
Old 08 October 2009, 12:35   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

This one maybe : http://www.demoparty.net/ ? Although you can't filter for Amiga only it seems.
Old 08 October 2009, 12:41   #7
DH
Global Moderator

^ two minds think alike
Old 08 October 2009, 12:43   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hehe Well, maybe BrooksterMax will attend one now and see it for himself
Old 08 October 2009, 19:04   #9
Mogilny

Yeah, those parties were really awesome. Drinking beer and being able to stay up as long as I wanted as a 13-year old was huge. Also meeting the famous guys from the scene and getting all the new cool stuff.
Old 08 October 2009, 19:37   #10
DH
Global Moderator

Tell you what I miss the most, the ingenious music creations, some were just so awesome and outstanding, I would played them for days. I even went to the trouble of recording some of the stuff onto cassette tape so I could listen to them in the car.

I've still got a working tape that has the LSD Grapevine#13 Grapevine-Xmas92.1.Mod on it, unfortunately there's far too many drop outs on it now Still, I have re-recorded it as an MP3 but I can't convince the wife to play it, even though she has started playing her Xmas cd already