English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 August 2002, 07:08   #1
Amiga1992

Games featuring undercover drugs!

Talking about Shatterhand's new shmup and his now famous powerpills, I thought about games that seem to have in them a "drug" element.

I mentioned there a PC Tetris clone that "simulated" drug effects... This was quite direct. You could chose LSD, Psylocibin, you name it. The screen would strobe, swirl, get upside down, oo! :eek :eek

But what about other games, where the thing could be just hinted and not explicit?

Mushrooms that make you stronger, Mario? Some round-shaped object that makes you go crazy, Giana? you're ready for the rave when you grab that thing eh hun?
And I remember seeing you, Yoshi, chomping those fluffy 'shroom things and getting all dizzy in your game Yoshi's Island!

How about the powerpills that Pacman eats? The whole idea of the powerup seems to be like that of a drug. You grab one, you are invincible for 15 seconds, and then you need another "hit" to be invincible again! GIMME MOREEEEE!

Drugs are everywhere. Have you got any other examples? This is fun

Where's my 1up blotter? :eek :eek
Old 03 August 2002, 07:28   #2
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I have this game.. is called Tetripz... is very fun to play. The longer you play, more doses of the drug you select in the beggining you take, and after getting 10 doses, you get an "overdose", and the game goes completely berzerk.

Playing with an overdose of LSD is very cool, I should say

In Yie ar Kung Fu 2, on MSX and C64 (And probably others systems too), there was a secret "thing" you could get, by making a certain move in a certain area of the screen. That thing would give you invencibility

And in this same game, if you destory 3 of those little guys in the beggining of each stage, you get a leaf. 5 Leafs gives you something I can't remember now what was, but it would give you extra energy if you pressed CONTROL. But what were those leafs? 5 Leafs of this plant would be the recipe of a super drug?

There was an amiga game, I think the name was "Wicked" .. it was supposed to be an anti-drug game, or something. It was a crap plataform game, and there was drugs to be collected, but if you get it, the main hero gets uncontrollable, while the screen flashes and stuff.

The One said something like that about this game: "I think Wicked is actually doing a good merchandising of drugs, because the only way you could enjoy this game is by having a high trip"

Probably doesn't were the right words, but it was something like that.
Old 03 August 2002, 07:47   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Remeber N.A.R.C?
I loved killing those drug dealers so much, I bought the NES version.
Then I decided I wanted to kill the guy who sold it to me.
Old 03 August 2002, 08:08   #4
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
In Yie ar Kung Fu 2, on MSX and C64 (And probably others systems too), there was a secret "thing" you could get, by making a certain move in a certain area of the screen. That thing would give you invencibility
And in this same game, if you destory 3 of those little guys in the beggining of each stage, you get a leaf. 5 Leafs gives you something I can't remember now what was, but it would give you extra energy if you pressed CONTROL. But what were those leafs? 5 Leafs of this plant would be the recipe of a super drug?
Ahh, the dealer passing on you some secret thing (perhaps the back of a toad!), and after such a rush, nothing better than a smoke of weed
Quote:
There was an amiga game, I think the name was "Wicked" .. it was supposed to be an anti-drug game, or something. It was a crap plataform game, and there was drugs to be collected, but if you get it, the main hero gets uncontrollable, while the screen flashes and stuff.
OH OH OH OH YOU BAST! We've been looking for this game! Have you got it???? Or did you just read about it in The One!? (I read about it in there too!)

Fred: LOL! Isn;t the re a french Amiga game where you fought drug dealers? Something california, or whatever? you would advance from screen to screen, and beaten up baddies would leave some cocaine. Damn shame you couldn't sell it afterwards, I managed to be loaded with a kilo or more!
Old 03 August 2002, 08:18   #5
Drake1009

I'd like to see tetripz.
Old 03 August 2002, 09:15   #6
Amiga1992

If you want tripz, errr... tetripz, look no forther than here:
http://213.193.146.106/exelsys/mute/tetripz.html

Ahhhh, there you are, 1up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trip.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	3213  
Old 03 August 2002, 11:01   #7
Paul
RIP Friends

I think MegaWorm could be classed as another example, when eating white pills you grow in size, eating different coloured pills did other things.
Old 03 August 2002, 14:07   #8
TikTok

In Syndicate you can alter the the levels of three different 'drugs' for your cyborgs (adrenaline, stamina, strength?). The more you use this option, the more your cyborgs get to depend on them, needing more and more just to provide the same performance .
Old 03 August 2002, 18:46   #9
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Stick out tongue

Add Darkseed to the list too-remember what happened if you didn't take your asprin first thing in the morning!!
Old 03 August 2002, 20:47   #10
Amiga1992

Yeah, great examples guys!

I loved drugging the Syndicate peeps so they would run faster. go go go go!
Old 04 August 2002, 00:47   #11
Drake1009

Non Amiga game again, System shock 1 had a way to handle drugs, just like Ultima Underworld handled effects of herbs.

A drug to allow you to see better would leave you almost blind afterwards. And a drug to boost your physical skills for fighting would end up messing your view for a while with strange colors, and as far as I recall, halucinetic sounds.

Death Rally also featured drugs sending the screen swirling sickeningly if you bumped into a mushroom.
Old 04 August 2002, 11:24   #12
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
The games with most drugs must be Fallout and Fallout 2, you can even get to be a junkie!
Old 04 August 2002, 13:12   #13
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

Just thought of another, on the C64. In Ghettoblaster,when you go into the main park to collect the final tape,if you hit the mushroom's the screen starts flashing & you can temporarily hold off the bad guys from hitting you.
Old 04 August 2002, 14:27   #14
Drake1009

I never got that hard. But I did bump into the mushrooms a lot of times havint the screen flash.
Old 04 August 2002, 22:47   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

No I don't have Wicked. I only readed about it in The One too.

How could I forget Syndicate, though?
Old 04 August 2002, 23:11   #16
v8juice

How did I miss this thread? There must be a reason... I can't remember any games like this & I forget why...! God bless the Seventies!
Old 04 August 2002, 23:22   #17
Doozy

Tetripz & XP

Anyone succesfully get thi sgame to work in WinXP? If so HOW?

Old 05 August 2002, 00:42   #18
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by v8juice
How did I miss this thread? There must be a reason... I can't remember any games like this & I forget why...! God bless the Seventies!
You know, I was expecting a lot of feedback from you in this thread
Old 05 August 2002, 00:56   #19
v8juice

I was afraid. Didn't want to freak anyone out, again... Least of all myself for not being able to actually remember some subliminal drug refrences in nintendo games, 'cause I can, that's what frightens me most! (pops another mushroom...)

Actually, come to think of it, there was an Alice In Wonderland quality to Mario, where was the white rabbit, they left that out I guess...? (one pill makes you...)

Last edited by v8juice; 05 August 2002 at 01:37.
Old 05 August 2002, 04:29   #20
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and
listening to repetitive electronic music."

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.