English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 18 August 2009, 23:15   #1
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Blizkick question

Hello,

Has anyone ever tried using the blizkick modules with a Microbotics M1230XA board?
Old 19 August 2009, 07:16   #2
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
from the Bliz-readme:
"Requires: OS 1.2+, phase5/DCE turbo with MAPROM feature or CPU Card
BlizKick has been tested with BLIZZARD 1230-I, 1230-II,
1230-III, 1230-IV, 1240-T/ERC, 1260, 2040-ERC, 2060, Cyberstorm MK I,
Cyberstorm MK II, Cyberstorm MK III, CyberStorm PPC, Blizzard PPC and
A3640 boards."

So AFAIK it only works with Blizzard cards. I have personally tested it with 1230-IV, 1240-T/ERC, 1260 and Blizzard PPC.
Old 19 August 2009, 08:17   #3
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
from the Bliz-readme:
"Requires: OS 1.2+, phase5/DCE turbo with MAPROM feature or CPU Card
BlizKick has been tested with BLIZZARD 1230-I, 1230-II,
1230-III, 1230-IV, 1240-T/ERC, 1260, 2040-ERC, 2060, Cyberstorm MK I,
Cyberstorm MK II, Cyberstorm MK III, CyberStorm PPC, Blizzard PPC and
A3640 boards."

So AFAIK it only works with Blizzard cards. I have personally tested it with 1230-IV, 1240-T/ERC, 1260 and Blizzard PPC.
Figured as much but people have been recommending the speedyIDE module left and right, I thought maybe it was something that could run on other systems with MMU.
Old 19 August 2009, 08:34   #4
NovaCoder

Hiya speedyIDE is not really part of BlizKick, it's just a module that you can use. You can use SpeedyIDE on it's own, someone even included it in an update to scsi.device on this board.

There are also other utils that will allow you to move your OS from ROM to your FASTRAM which will help boost your performance.
Old 19 August 2009, 08:41   #5
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Hiya speedyIDE is not really part of BlizKick, it's just a module that you can use. You can use SpeedyIDE on it's own, someone even included it in an update to scsi.device on this board.

There are also other utils that will allow you to move your OS from ROM to your FASTRAM which will help boost your performance.
Well I have CPU FASTRAM to toss the 3.1 roms into the MMU of the Microbotics board, I am not sure if that is what you are talking about.

Is speedyide easy to install on its own? I couldn't find it on Aminet, only the blizkick archive.

***EDIT*** I downloaded Blizkick and extracted speedyIDE and tossed it into C: When I typed SpeedyIDE from a command line and nothing barfed. Noticed a SMALL increase in writefile speed over my already speedy IDEFIX/Express combo. Can I just toss SpeedyIDE into C: and call it from Startup Sequence or do I need to run it in any special way? For an OS 3.1 guy like me, any other of those modules useful?

Last edited by illy5603; 19 August 2009 at 09:05.
Old 19 August 2009, 19:15   #6
Mozzerfan

Blizkick doesn't work with the 1230XA.

I also have an 1230xa and idefix-express, and I use Doobrey's scsi.device 44.2. It includes the speedy-ide patch.. I get 4.1 MB/s with my 2GB Sandisk CF card.

thanks Doobrey Been waiting for someone to patch scsi.device with speedy-ide.

Edit see this thread to download scsi.device 44.2: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ht=scsi.device (post #13)

Edit2: You can't use speedy-ide on it's own. Either use a tool like blizkick or remapollo, or Doobrey's scsi.device.
Or if you use a normal harddisk or a CF card which is fixed instead of removeable use idefix.

Last edited by Mozzerfan; 19 August 2009 at 19:50.
Old 19 August 2009, 20:12   #7
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
***EDIT*** I downloaded Blizkick and extracted speedyIDE and tossed it into C: When I typed SpeedyIDE from a command line and nothing barfed. Noticed a SMALL increase in writefile speed over my already speedy IDEFIX/Express combo.

Sorry to say it, but if there is any speedup it wasn't caused by SpeedyIDE.
When run directly, it won't do anything, just return back to the CLI (All Blizkick modules start with moveq #0,d0 : rts)
Old 19 August 2009, 20:50   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobrey View Post
Sorry to say it, but if there is any speedup it wasn't caused by SpeedyIDE.
When run directly, it won't do anything, just return back to the CLI (All Blizkick modules start with moveq #0,d0 : rts)
Are the are programs that will map any rom to fast on a board with MMU?
Ive been hunting round for ages, nothing seems to work.
Old 20 August 2009, 01:34   #9
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzerfan View Post
Blizkick doesn't work with the 1230XA.

I also have an 1230xa and idefix-express, and I use Doobrey's scsi.device 44.2. It includes the speedy-ide patch.. I get 4.1 MB/s with my 2GB Sandisk CF card.

thanks Doobrey Been waiting for someone to patch scsi.device with speedy-ide.

Edit see this thread to download scsi.device 44.2: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ht=scsi.device (post #13)

Edit2: You can't use speedy-ide on it's own. Either use a tool like blizkick or remapollo, or Doobrey's scsi.device.
Or if you use a normal harddisk or a CF card which is fixed instead of removeable use idefix.
Thanks for the reply,

Ok I downloaded the file and now have scsi_44.2_a1200.pch sitting on my DH1: work area. So where does this go? Does it require more software to run?

The problem I am having is that people are describing all of these things that in and of themselves don't work without another application that sometimes requires ANOTHER application to kick stuff up to another application.

All I have is an Amiga 1200 with ClassicWB (3.1 OS W/3.1 Roms on board) on a CF card and that is it. No boing bags, no 3.9 patched boot ROMS, no other applications outside of my BBS software.

What do I need to do to make this work?
Old 20 August 2009, 02:59   #10
NovaCoder

Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

Ok I downloaded the file and now have scsi_44.2_a1200.pch sitting on my DH1: work area. So where does this go? Does it require more software to run?

The problem I am having is that people are describing all of these things that in and of themselves don't work without another application that sometimes requires ANOTHER application to kick stuff up to another application.

All I have is an Amiga 1200 with ClassicWB (3.1 OS W/3.1 Roms on board) on a CF card and that is it. No boing bags, no 3.9 patched boot ROMS, no other applications outside of my BBS software.

Hiya,

scsi.device resides in your ROM.

I think you have 2 options.

1) Extract your scsi.device from your ROM and then apply the patch 'scsi_44.2_a1200.pch' to it, this will create a version 44.2 scsi.device. Then you need another application (a BlizKick equivalent, sorry don't know what they are called) to push this updated scsi.device to FASTRAM.

2) You could use SETPATCH to patch your ROM version of scsi.device using the 'scsi_44.2_a1200.pch' which means it will also reside in FASTRAM.
Old 20 August 2009, 04:03   #11
Mozzerfan

Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

Well, you need scsi.device from os3.9 boingbag 2.
Use Doobrey's Remus/Romsplit tool to split the Boingbag2 romupdate.

Download Spatch from aminet and apply Doobrey's patch to scsi.device file which was created by ROMsplit.

Download loadmodule from aminet, and use it to load the updated scsi.device.
If you ever update your system to a full os3.9 system, don't forget to change the setpatch command to:
Setpatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET.
Old 20 August 2009, 05:43   #12
illy5603

Quote:
Well, you need scsi.device from os3.9 boingbag 2.
Use Doobrey's Remus/Romsplit tool to split the Boingbag2 romupdate.

Download Spatch from aminet and apply Doobrey's patch to scsi.device file which was created by ROMsplit.

Download loadmodule from aminet, and use it to load the updated scsi.device.
If you ever update your system to a full os3.9 system, don't forget to change the setpatch command to:
Setpatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET.
ROMsplit cannot find any ROM images in the boing bags 1 or 2 directories but it was able to extract my scsi.device from my 3.1 Roms.

Spatch, seriously, I have no f'ing clue how to use this... All I get is "Argument missing" and when I managed to pull the "help" file from the command line the arguments make no sense.

Also, Remus doesn't run, says "missing file wbstart.library" whatever that is. Probably some other application that I have no idea what it is.

I haven't even gotten to loadmodule yet but I am sure it is more command line stuff that I will have no idea how to use. *EDIT* This actually looks easy and has decent documentations, lets get to this part!!! :-) *EDIT*

For what it is worth I actually own the 3.9 OS on CD, I just don't have a CD-ROM drive. Is there anyway I can get the "finished" and doobrey patched scsi.device for an Amiga 1200, so I could just go to the load module step?

And thanks for trying to help! I do appreciate it!

Last edited by illy5603; 20 August 2009 at 05:49. Reason: info
Old 20 August 2009, 05:53   #13
illy5603

Quote:
Hiya,

scsi.device resides in your ROM.

I think you have 2 options.

1) Extract your scsi.device from your ROM and then apply the patch 'scsi_44.2_a1200.pch' to it, this will create a version 44.2 scsi.device. Then you need another application (a BlizKick equivalent, sorry don't know what they are called) to push this updated scsi.device to FASTRAM.

2) You could use SETPATCH to patch your ROM version of scsi.device using the 'scsi_44.2_a1200.pch' which means it will also reside in FASTRAM.
I actually got my scsi.device extracted but alas I can't get the patching part to work.

For option 2, here is a great question. HOW do you use setpatch? Can someone throw me an example?

Thanks!
Old 20 August 2009, 07:00   #14
NovaCoder

This may help

It is a bit confusing, took me ages to work out how to patch my scsi.device
Old 20 August 2009, 07:29   #15
illy5603

Quote:
This may help

It is a bit confusing, took me ages to work out how to patch my scsi.device
Excellent command line examples but I am still stuck with not knowing where this is:
44.57 AmigaOS ROM Update from OS3.9 BB2

All I have in the BoingBag3.9-2 drawer is "AmigaOS-Update"
unless I am missing something.

From the looks of that documentation, it won't work just patching the 40.12 scsi.device I did manage to extra, right?

Do I really have to go through all of this?

Last edited by illy5603; 20 August 2009 at 07:57.
Old 20 August 2009, 08:15   #16
NovaCoder

BlizKick contains some excellent info and utils even if you can't actually use it with your card.
Old 20 August 2009, 13:24   #17
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Extract the correct scsi.device with RomSplit from the "AmigaOS ROM Update" -file (usually found in DEVS: -drawer).
Old 20 August 2009, 14:30   #18
Mozzerfan

Like I said, you need scsi.device from os3.9 BB2.

"AmigaOS-Update" from BB2 is a password protected archive. To unpack it, look here for
instructions: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=405346.
If the passwords to unpack it don't work, see post #10 to unpack it.

When you successfully unpacked it, there is a new AmigaOs Romupdate file, and you can use ROMSplit to extract scsi.device.

Edit: Instead of spatch you can also do this:
Quote from Doobrey's post
If anyone is scared of using spatch on a CLI, just plonk the .pch files in Remus/Patches and extract the scsi.device with ROMsplit, it'll save the original, then apply the patches automagically.

Last edited by Mozzerfan; 20 August 2009 at 14:37.
Old 20 August 2009, 18:01   #19
illy5603

Quote:
Like I said, you need scsi.device from os3.9 BB2.

"AmigaOS-Update" from BB2 is a password protected archive. To unpack it, look here for
instructions: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=405346.
If the passwords to unpack it don't work, see post #10 to unpack it.

When you successfully unpacked it, there is a new AmigaOs Romupdate file, and you can use ROMSplit to extract scsi.device.

Edit: Instead of spatch you can also do this:
Quote from Doobrey's post
If anyone is scared of using spatch on a CLI, just plonk the .pch files in Remus/Patches and extract the scsi.device with ROMsplit, it'll save the original, then apply the patches automagically.
Well, thanks again for the help, but I am sitting here staring at another 38 posts just to get the ROM file out of this archive? It's like being right back at square one. That and I am missing some library that Remus needs to run anyway.

I am just going to forget about it. If I had known that updating the scsi.device on the 1200 took 5 different applications each with their own lengthy forum posts dedicated to getting each of them working, I would have never bothered with it.

I was thinking more like "Oh here is the file, and here is the program to kick it up into ram and for kicks, here is the short command line you need to add to startup-sequence." I know this is at the end of the rainbow somewhere. I paid full price for an OS3.9 CD that I have never even installed so my conscience is clear when I do get it running.

Thanks again for trying, I just can't get it going.
Old 20 August 2009, 23:25   #20
hit

didnt made it myself but, it cant be that difficult

where exactly are you stuck? did you installed BB2 already?
the readme of http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/SCSI4345p explains it really well - just use the tools it mentions. remus/romsplit you dont need.

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/LoadModule (which has ExtractModule and LoadModule)
http://aminet.net/package/dev/misc/spatch

if you have BB2 installed, you only need to do what the scsi-patch.readme says.
copy the tools into c: folder an follow the steps in the scsi-patch.readme.
maybe open it in a text-editor and copy/paste the lines into the shell you are working in.