Your Workbench setups stink, buy deodorant 1 2.78%
My setup is better than yours! I don't give a crap! 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 March 2009, 22:03   #121
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
There might well be an issue with soft reset, but no one has ever mentioned it before.

Since I've never really tested out OS3.9 version myself on a real Amiga or large hard drive I'm not sure. I was aware that this version was untested compared to other versions, and that's why I never released it to the public. It really is just a glorified beta and knew it may well have issues to iron out.

If anyone can tell me what needs changing I'll sort it out for the next release.

@Bloodwych

Got round to sorting it tonight using a 40GB HD - 1st Partition=1GB the rest 7.9GB max.
Very simple to solve, Once Classic Workbench is up & running simply re-install BoingBag 2 & of course say yes to the ROM update.
Once BB2 is installed & the system rebooted you will notice a soft reboot once the new Kickstart is mapped into FASTRAM and then only after the system has been powered off,
All drives then reappear on Real A1200/ A4000
and WinUAE when HD added under IDE0 with A4000 model selected & typical settings too

So you don't need to change a thing my friend

TC

Last edited by TheCorfiot; 29 March 2009 at 23:49.
Old 03 April 2009, 00:46   #122
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
@Bloodwych

Got round to sorting it tonight using a 40GB HD - 1st Partition=1GB the rest 7.9GB max.
Very simple to solve, Once Classic Workbench is up & running simply re-install BoingBag 2 & of course say yes to the ROM update.
Once BB2 is installed & the system rebooted you will notice a soft reboot once the new Kickstart is mapped into FASTRAM and then only after the system has been powered off,
All drives then reappear on Real A1200/ A4000
and WinUAE when HD added under IDE0 with A4000 model selected & typical settings too

So you don't need to change a thing my friend

TC
Thanks for the feedback; I'll update the instructions and get a better install routine sorted when I get some free time.
Old 03 April 2009, 22:02   #123
asm1

PM me the installer when you get a min, I'd like to try it
Old 06 April 2009, 23:52   #124
kouts28

I had the same problems, well sort of... After the install of classicwb os3.9 in a clean os3.9 installation with bb1+bb1 installed i noticed that the kickstart version was the old one 40.68. I renamed the file -Amiga OS Rom Update- and rebooted. Still the kickstart version showed up as 40.68. I copied setpatch from the clean installation to the classicwb one and rebooted. Voila kickstart version 45.57. So maybe it's better to install classicwb in an not boinged-bag install of os3.9 and then install bb1+bb2 over it?

Old 07 April 2009, 00:03   #125
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouts28 View Post
I had the same problems, well sort of... After the install of classicwb os3.9 in a clean os3.9 installation with bb1+bb1 installed i noticed that the kickstart version was the old one 40.68. I renamed the file -Amiga OS Rom Update- and rebooted. Still the kickstart version showed up as 40.68. I copied setpatch from the clean installation to the classicwb one and rebooted. Voila kickstart version 45.57. So maybe it's better to install classicwb in an not boinged-bag install of os3.9 and then install bb1+bb2 over it?
Yeah I agree.

I'll fix it in the next release; but I don't know when that release will be!
Old 13 April 2009, 12:59   #126
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
@Bloodwych
Once BB2 is installed & the system rebooted you will notice a soft reboot once the new Kickstart is mapped into FASTRAM and then only after the system has been powered off
TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouts28 View Post
I copied setpatch from the clean installation to the classicwb one and rebooted. Voila kickstart version 45.57. So maybe it's better to install classicwb in an not boinged-bag install of os3.9 and then install bb1+bb2 over it?
What does the BoingBag 2 change? The install routine on the main ClassicWB webpage says that in order to install the ClassicWB, you need a full OS39 HDF with BoingBag 1 and 2 installed and mounted as DH0: and the ClassicWB HDF mounted as DH1:

The install routine copies all the missing files from this, including the new BoingBag2 setpatch. What is it that BoingBag 2 does that enables the ROM update? Does it add something to the Startup-Sequence that I'm missing? I'm sure I have the ROM update lines already there.

Or are people installing the ClassicWB OS39 from a HDF that doesn't have BoingBag 1 & 2 pre installed?
Old 09 May 2009, 17:20   #127
Bloodwych

Quote:
What does the BoingBag 2 change? The install routine on the main ClassicWB webpage says that in order to install the ClassicWB, you need a full OS39 HDF with BoingBag 1 and 2 installed and mounted as DH0: and the ClassicWB HDF mounted as DH1:

The install routine copies all the missing files from this, including the new BoingBag2 setpatch. What is it that BoingBag 2 does that enables the ROM update? Does it add something to the Startup-Sequence that I'm missing? I'm sure I have the ROM update lines already there.

Or are people installing the ClassicWB OS39 from a HDF that doesn't have BoingBag 1 & 2 pre installed?
Did anyone get around to addressing the above issue?

I need to know what needs changing for the next update, if anything.
Old 14 May 2009, 18:44   #128
thommys
Zone Friend

Can you PM me the Installer?
I'll try it
Old 15 May 2009, 06:09   #129
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

To enable the BB2 ROM Patch, there is a file in the DEVS: directory called AmigaOS ROM Update (or similar) which needs to be of size ~320K. AmigaOS 3.9 installs one of size ~128K and BB2 overwrites this (optionally, if you select Yes in the BB2 Installer). I think the original OS3.9 ROM Update is renamed as a backup.

For some reason, both AmiKit and AmigaSYS do not use the BB2 ROM Update. I would prefer if it was there, just so the latest libraries are all there.

Not sure if there is anything else required regarding the BB2 ROM Update, a perusal of the BB2 install script will probably provide the answer.

EDIT:
Just read through the whole thread and noticed some issues with applying the ROM Update. I don't have my OS3.9 startup-sequence on me here, but there would need to be a command in startup-sequence to load the AmigaOS ROM Update file by resetting the Amiga, which then skips resetting after the first soft reboot. Perhaps it is the Setpatch command possibly with special parameter(s), as I don't remember there being a LoadModule there. I tihnk the original OS3.9 ROM Update gets applied in exactly the same way as the BB2 one.

EDIT2:
List of files changed by BB2 overall:
http://www.dietmar-knoll.de/Computer/BoingBag2.html

Last edited by Calgor; 15 May 2009 at 06:37.
Old 16 May 2009, 15:26   #130
Bloodwych

Thanks Calgor; I'll look into this soon.

Did some updates of the packs last week, but they are not released yet. They all now use one assign file for Games, Demos, Programs, Temp, My Files etc - so you can very quickly move any of these drawers to different partitions.
Old 16 May 2009, 15:42   #131
Bloodwych

Ok, I've fixed this - so simple - the file in the Devs directory needed renaming to "AmigaOS ROM Update". All the startup-sequence calls are in place and correct.

Because I updated files by hand while converting the ClassicWB pack to OS39, the file was incorrectly name "AmigaOS ROM Update.OS30_BB2" or something like that. The same goes for the NSDpatch files - they may need renaming.

I'll correct and update the pack soon, since it's a major error. Anyone using these packs without the renamed file will be using the older SCSI.device and not the newer v43 for large hard drive support - unless they have IDEfix running.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 16 May 2009 at 16:04.
Old 16 May 2009, 21:54   #132
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Thanks Bloodwych

That's why, from my post above, simply re-installing BB2 fixes everything as it installs the ROM-update file but with the correct naming convention.
Excellent news on the single Assign, my friend

Cheers for all your hard work & continued support.

TC
Old 16 May 2009, 22:04   #133
Bloodwych

Can't believe it took so long to get fixed. Loads of people have requested and downloaded this pack - I get about 3 to 4 pms a week - but they probably all ran into problems if they tried to use it on a real amiga with a hard drive bigger than 4gb!

I wish I had more time to get back to grips with the ClassicWB, but these days time is short. I really have to find a better way of earning a living. I want to be a student again!
Old 17 May 2009, 00:37   #134
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Can't believe it took so long to get fixed. Loads of people have requested and downloaded this pack - I get about 3 to 4 pms a week - but they probably all ran into problems if they tried to use it on a real amiga with a hard drive bigger than 4gb!

I wish I had more time to get back to grips with the ClassicWB, but these days time is short. I really have to find a better way of earning a living. I want to be a student again!
You talk about 4gb patches, would these be the strip patches?
Or would they be the patches from Aminet, FFS 45.14 and scsi.device 43.45.

If the strip, I take it will overwrite or mess up the Aminet patches?

Got a nice install of OS3.9, dont want to mess it up, .
Old 17 May 2009, 00:47   #135
Bloodwych

The OS39 patches I was referring too were just the standard ones that come with OS39 and called into action via Setpatch. The Amiga ROM Update and the NSDpatch config file. Nothing from Aminet has been added.

If you have a good install, just experiment in WinUAE first! I don't want to be held accountable for botched setups!