English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 October 2004, 22:29   #21
oldpx

Most of the nes games I played were boring level based games with outdated style of gameplay. Most had levels that looked mostly the same with more difficulty added to them each time oh and different background colors and crap too Valkyrie, Mappy, A sf clone fighting game I happily don't remember the name of, bomberman, excite bike, galaxian and many many more I don't remember. They were poorly done whereas master system games were always unique scene by scene independand of the genre and were much more modern gameplay-wise.

Old 31 October 2004, 09:54   #22
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I loved the NES.

It had Castlevania. 'nuff said.
Old 31 October 2004, 11:04   #23
Fissuras
Old Luny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512
It's still being manufactured in Brazil by Tec Toy.
Yeah. and it is expensive, go figure. They still produce SMS and Megadrive, but no more Dreamcasts, no Gamecube, PS2 nor even X-Box. Go figure :P
Old 31 October 2004, 16:22   #24
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hey! The Gamecube is produced here in Brazil!

Only 4 systems are being produced here in Brazil: SMS, Mega-Drive, GBA and . . Gamecube. Up until recently, SNES were being produced, but I think it's not being anymore..

Historically, from what I know, in a commercial point of view, NES sold a lot more than the SMS and the Mega-Drive sold more than the SNES.

If you ask my personal opinion... The SMS has a much superior hardware than the NES, but its library of games isn't as good as the NES one, though it has some excellent games too.

Comparing both SNES and Mega-Drive in the hardware aspects only isn't that easy. The SNES had more colors on screen and the Mode7 chip which could do wonders, but the Mega-Drive CPU was faster, which gave it a bigger advantage in action games... if you compare both library of games, they both had a good library.. but I'll stick with the Mega-Drive anyday

And pirated stuff is common here in Brazil.. of ANY kind... NES 50-in-1 carts are easy to find, so is pirated games for gameboy, and PSX and PS2 ORIGINAL games are RARE, everyone has dozens of pirated games, but it's rare to find an original PSX game.. Same goes for the X-Box...
Old 01 November 2004, 09:13   #25
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand
Same goes for the X-Box...
Why anyone would willing pay money for anything of an XBoxular variety is beyond me.
Old 01 November 2004, 11:12   #26
Peanutuk

Surely there aren't pirated Gamecube games?
Old 02 November 2004, 05:02   #27
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I have never seen any pirated gamecube games here.... I think it's something to do with the media it uses it.

And that's really funny, because it's the only next-gen console being oficially produced here in Brazil.

I've seen X-Box pirated games being sold here in Brazil, so my bet some people have imported it or something, but I don't know anyone here who owns one.

And pirated PS1 games you can find being sold at every corner...
Old 08 January 2005, 18:16   #28
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Exclamation new [UberNES] version !!!

Here you can find the newest version for download.

Some info about what's new

Direct link to the emu executable

Now, there are games that support the newest hiscore feature:
- Donkey Kong
- Galaga
- Ghosts 'N Goblins
- Gradius
- Ice Climber
- Kung Fu
- Mario Bros.
- Pac-Man
- Pinball
- Popeye
- Rush N Attack
- Snow Bros.
- Tetris (Tengen)

So, come beat the worldwide hiscores
Old 09 January 2005, 02:37   #29
Titler
Zone Friend

Good Master System Games?

The console I spent the most money on! (Although the Amiga was the most time, he he he). So good games? *looks at rom list* Well, I can personally give my seal of approval to;

Alex Kidd In Miracle World
Choplifter (more a personal choice that though)
Galaxy Force
Gauntlet (excellent conversion!)
Impossible Mission
Lemmings
Phantasy Star
Populous
Power Strike (damned hard shoot 'em up, but I was so proud when I beat it without cheating! Getting old and rusty now though... get off my lawn you kids!)
R-Type
Rampage
Rastan
Spy Vs Spy (but only with two human players... My brother still laughs to this day in memory of the time where he chased me across half the map, a single screen behind as I legged it with all the items for the airport, only for me to fall prey to a booby trapped door he'd left on the door into the room, after which he grabbed the stuff and ran the last inch to freedom and victory... Grrr!
Thunderblade (not that fun to play, but impressive conversion)
Time Soldiers (crap arcade, fun SMS version)
Ultima IV (Oh god yes! Truly one of the most incredible RPG games ideas ever; the plot is more or less incidental to your exploration of Brittania, and more importantly, your development of in game virtues... Then watch years later as your romantic medieval dreams crash around your ears after trying Ultima Online and getting killed, looted, and l33t sp34k'd at by a hormonal teenager in a skull mask)
Y's: The Vanished Omens.
Wonderboy II
Wonderboy III

Admittedly, a lot of those are conversions from other systems, but that just proves the point someone else made earlier... the SMS was a very competent machine for it's time. I'm not going to make a comparison to the NES though; I never owned one, and besides, if it gave you some measure of joy, then it's a worthy machine by the only measure that matters. But it was possible to gain such fond memories on the SMS too... and many of us did, no matter how poorly it sold over all. And perhaps some of you still can... Certainly, at some point I intend to try some of the old NES classics, just like I am occasionally doing with the SNES emulator, and the Amiga games I never owned... Life's too short for partisan bickering... Give me all the pleasures you've got to offer, oh world of gaming!
Old 09 January 2005, 07:03   #30
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Do what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirminator2k
Fair enough, but just so you know:

The Sega Master system was a phenomenal flop worldwide apart from in the UK where it was the second most popular console system of its time, next to the NES. The Master System II was eventually released and, although fairly popular, still didn't outsell the NES (which, at the time, was being manufactured by both Nintendo and Mattel).

The Sega MegaDrive (Genesis in the States) was the clear winner of the 16Bit Wars, knocking the SNES over with its superior hardware (except for the sound though, which was basic MIDI in most places). The MegaDrive II rocked the world's socks, but Sega lost it with the MegaCD, an add-on which flopped, and the SNES crept back into first.
You liken the NES to some huge selling monster in the UK.... alas it wasn't. It sold ok, but the UK was different to the rest of the world in that they further embraced the 8bit computers such as Spectrum, C64 and to a lesser degree, the Amstrad cpc464. Yes the NES sold slightly more than the Master System, but in comparison to the 8bit computers, the NES wasn't even remotely close. By the time consoles became popular again in the UK, it certainly wasn't the NES or Master System that was being bought, it was the turn of the Megadrive and SNES.

As for the Megadrive having superior hardware? Err, no it didn't! The sound chip on the SNES was superior to the FM junk on the Megadrive by quite a large margin, the SNES outgunned the Megadrives paltry 512 colours of which only 64 could be displayed, and had superior graphics modes. The one area that the SNES did lack was a decent enough processor to shift polygon graphics around, but seeing as there wasn't exactly a deluge of polygon games on the Megadrive, the addition of the Super FX chip made the Megadrive look rather mundane in comparison.

Dont get me wrong, the Megadrive was a good machine, but clearly, it wasn't ever superior in the hardware department over the SNES, and for you to repeat this claim is ludicrous.

Megadrive II didn't 'rock the worlds socks' either. Simply a redesigned system so that it was cheaper for Sega to manufacture. Segas market share didn't grow significantly because of the redesign.

As for the Mega-CD being a flop... yes, you are correct, but the SNES then didn't regain a foothold, because less than a year later Playstation arrived which pretty much killed off Megadrive/SNES/Saturn/Amiga/Neo Geo/Jaguar/CD32 all in one hit.

You have a rather odd slant on how things actually were.
Old 09 January 2005, 11:34   #31
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

You are entirely correct. However despite Sony's bastardising of the Videogames Industry with the release of the PlayStation, the Amiga was doomed long before it's 1995/96 release.
Old 09 January 2005, 12:47   #32
RuySan

I think every NES game looked awful...there's was something very odd about that color pallete. I have a Master System and i think it was great. And there was fantastic games like Phantasy Star and Ultima for it, which just gives a big kick in the ass of NES
Old 09 January 2005, 14:03   #33
oldpx

I just have to say I finished Phantasy Star yesterday. For the first time since 1990 Still great game though!

Old 08 August 2008, 12:08   #34
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Is this thing still on?
Damn, my favorite NES emu 3 years ago, with the never-seen-anywhere-else Hiscore support feature!

Here's a working home page where everyone can download this one, and try (I dare you to, just try! ) and beat my scores... both of them left...

Last edited by Shoonay; 08 August 2008 at 12:14.
Old 08 August 2008, 14:24   #35
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Too bad Burseg is not around.
Old 08 August 2008, 14:26   #36
Shoonay
Global Caturator

maybe he is, using some secret nick ?
Old 08 August 2008, 14:32   #37
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Nop...

He posts sometimes on TE forum.

How long took you to get those scores??
Old 08 August 2008, 14:51   #38
Shoonay
Global Caturator

not long, a few hours i guess, those aren't really great ones it's just that those game's aren't really popular