English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 June 2008, 01:49   #1
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

My new VIC-20 multicart has arrived

Chaps,

I'm quite excited as my new 127-in-1 VIC cart has arrived from Canada.

It claims to have a simple menu and is compatible with an unexpanded machine.

The build quality appears to be good and I intend to test it out at the weekend.

I will post my findings should anyone be interested.

See pic..

Attachment 16967

Last edited by Magno Boots; 17 September 2008 at 23:05.
Old 26 June 2008, 02:27   #2
Amiga1992

.me wants to grab it and hack it
Old 26 June 2008, 04:54   #3
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
behr bonz is a great card. last time I checked eslapion was out of stock. did you buy from him ?
Old 26 June 2008, 07:12   #4
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Did they make a PAL version?
Old 27 June 2008, 02:28   #5
andy
Back.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magno Boots View Post
...should anyone be interested.
What do ya think? Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magno Boots
I will post my findings...
You'd better!

P.S. Thanks for your sharing so far.
Old 27 June 2008, 03:10   #6
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
behr bonz is a great card. last time I checked eslapion was out of stock. did you buy from him ?
eslapion is the only guy I know that makes/sells em..he's a great guy to deal with too
Old 27 June 2008, 05:33   #7
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
The list of games included in the PAL version are: AE, Aggressor, Alien Blitz, Alphabet Zoo, Amok!, Arachnoid, Artillery Duel, Astroblitz, Atlantis, Attack of the Mutant Camels, Avenger, Black Hole, Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom, Cave-In, Centipede, Choplifter, Cloudburst, Clowns Joystick, Clowns Paddles, Computer War, Congo Bongo, Cosmic Cruncher, Cosmic Jailbreak, Creepy Corridors, Crossfire, Cyclon, Deadly Duck, Deadly Skies, Defender, Demon Attack, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Dragonfire, Droids, Fourth Encounter, Frogger, Galaxian, Gorf, Gridrunner, In the Chips, Jawbreaker II, Jelly Monsters, Jupiter Lander, Keyquest, Krazy Antics, KStar Patrol, Lazer Zone, Lode Runner, Lunar Leeper, Maze, Medieval Joust, Menagerie, Mine Madness, Miner 2049'er, Mobile Attack, Money Wars, Monster Maze, Moon Patrol, Mosquito Infestation, Motocross Racer, Ms Pacman, Mutant Herd, Omega Race, Outworld, Pacman, Paratrooper, Pharaoh's Curse, Pinball Spectacular, Pipes, Poker, Polaris, Pole Position, Predator, Princess and Frog, Protector, Q-Bert, Quackers, Radar Rat Race, Raid on Fort Knox, Rally-X, Rat Hotel, Renaissance, River Rescue, Road Race, Robot Panic, Robotron 2084, Scott Adams: Adventureland, Scott Adams: Mission Impossible, Scott Adams: Pirate's Cove, Scott Adams: The Count, Scott Adams: Voodoo Castle, Sargon II Chess, Satellite Patrol, Satellite and Meteorites, Scorpion, Sea Wolf, Seafox, Serpentine, Shamus, Sir Lancelot, Skibbereen, Skyblazer, Space Ric-o-shay, Spiders of Mars, Spike's Peak, Spills and Fills, Springer, Star Battle, Star Post, Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator, Sub Chase, Submarine Commander, Super Amok, Super Slot, Super Smash, Terraguard, The Sky is Falling, Threshold, Topper, Turmoil, Tutankham, Type Attack, Typo, Video Vermin, Videomania, Visible Solar System
$30US plus postage
Old 14 July 2008, 22:41   #8
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Update..

Tested the VIC cart and can report that it's excellent

I fitted the board into an old case, pushed it in and switched it on (as usual!).

What you are then faced with is a menu in alphabetical order which can be scrolled down using either the joystick or cursor keys.

Press return or joy button and the selected game starts instantly.

This is the recently issued PAL version from Eslapion in Canada (search for 8bitcentral) and I am happy that no bugs have been found so far.

Many games are cart images and are therefore good quality.

The only downside is the poor choice of colours on the menu screen and the fact that you need a hard reset when changing games.
No hardship really.

This cost me £25 all in and is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Some poor quality pics..

Attachment 17132

Attachment 17133

Attachment 17134

Attachment 17135

Attachment 17136

Attachment 17137

Last edited by Magno Boots; 17 September 2008 at 23:05.
Old 14 July 2008, 22:55   #9
Bloodwych

Thanks for the update. The cart looks ace!

Just looking at those screenies brings tears to my eyes. The Vic-20 was my first computer. I was aged 7 I think.

The games were so simple yet fun. No spending hours learning how to play a game, just pick up and go. I can't be arsed to play some modern games with friends, as if I don't own the game myself I know I'm going to get hammered.

I had great times challenging my parents to gain the highest Jelly Monsters score. Frogger was another fav.

Great.
Old 14 July 2008, 23:36   #10
alphonsus

Does this work on a C64?
Old 14 July 2008, 23:53   #11
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

No.

I bet there are similar carts available for the C64 though.
Old 26 July 2008, 06:22   #12
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sune Salminen View Post
I bet there are similar carts available for the C64 though.
Not exactly. The equivalent device would be something like the now discontinued MMC64 or its successor, the MMC Replay. From them you can launch most cartridge images (crts).

By the way, anyone that finds the Behr-Bonz of interest may be also be interested in a far more advanced cartridge called the VIC-20 MegaCart (that webpage is quite out of date, I'll see if I can't get it updated this weekend). The cartridge will cost closer to $100 Canadian dollars which include a custom cartridge case with label art and a full colour printed box and should be available in the next few weeks.

The big difference is that it has 200+ games (every game ever released on cartridge for the VIC-20 which includes everything in the Behr-Bonz) as well as dozens of other games, applications, programming languages, utilities, demos and more. It can also function as any of the RAM expansion cartridges released for the VIC-20 from 3K to 32K, has a built-in reset button and non-volatile memory. Oh, and it automatically adjusts for use in either a PAL or NTSC VIC-20. I'm really just scratching the surface here. I'll explain more if there's any interest.