English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 07 January 2008, 02:06   #21
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post

I'm considering spending some decent time on my launcher soon, would you guys honestly use it? Don't just say yes because you want some more amiga software
I would use EVERY WHDLoad launcher which eats not too much fast ram, that's for sure. And you got me... if your launcher supports tooltype editing, smoothing scrolling and a quick search filter.
Old 07 January 2008, 02:10   #22
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well it scrolls very nicely at the moment, and it kills itself before loading a game so it uses VERY little ram. I've yet to include a search filter but I should imagine it will be possible, just not sure how fast it'll be...
Old 07 January 2008, 02:16   #23
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This sounds to good to be true. I hope you are able to finish this project. I assume a lot of Amiga freaks would appreciate such a nice WHDLoad tool.
Old 07 January 2008, 02:22   #24
Bloodwych

I think it sounds like a great project KillerG. Bippy was working on one a while back too I seem to remember?

I think anyone with a real Amiga would love it, as long as the performance can be kept reasonable.
Old 07 January 2008, 08:49   #25
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I do appreciate this wonderful proggie, but what about some games that need the CUSTOM parameter?
By changing the WHDLoad.prefs I can easly change some of the most important parameters globally, but there are some games that need it.

I'd still wished it to check for some user-startup txt file, before execution and add those extra parameters when running... Yes, I know that it would prolly force the user to input those parameters anyways, either after clicking on the desired game name or in a predifinied file...
Old 07 January 2008, 11:12   #26
rare_j
Zone Friend

Might be an idea to have lazybench point at the slave's icon instead of the slave itself. Then all the tooltypes (including the custom parameter) get passed to whdload.

The search script could look for icons instead of .slave files. You could tell if an icon is to be included in the lazybench list because the default tool will be "whdload". TTTool off Aminet can be used to determine an icon's default tool.
Old 07 January 2008, 11:22   #27
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yeah, that could do the job! But would be slow if so, needing to load and search each icons contents...
Old 07 January 2008, 11:22   #28
Bloodwych

rare_j - It does search for the .info/icon files only - along with any custom tooltypes you set in them. In fact LazyBench will only Launch .info/icon files, not any files without icons. The script searches a given folder for .info/icon files that contain the text "slave" (case insensitive). The programs used are very fast, but this operation only needs to be carried out when you add new WHDLoad games. It makes a text file for LazyBench to read, which contains links to all the games icon/.info files and their custom tooltypes/settings.

5h00n4y, a feature built into the LazyBench to change tooltypes isn't going to happen as I'm no programmer.

You have to change the custom parameters like you would have done without iGame - go to the games icon, right click, select "Information" and change the tooltypes manually. This does the same thing as iGames tooltypes editor.

Like I said, it's a very simple launcher.
Old 07 January 2008, 11:26   #29
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Thanks B, that's all I needed to hear, so it is usable after all!
Old 07 January 2008, 11:45   #30
rare_j
Zone Friend

Oh that's good news, nice work Bloodwych!
Old 17 January 2008, 12:22   #31
obb

Hi guys,

Just getting back into the Amiga swing ... Got an A1200 coming from fleebay, anyway question for Bloodwych:

When searching for games does it only search DH0: the reason why I ask is in anticipation of getting the A1200 I have started building a real HDD with classicWB (great WB BTW!) using winUAE. Everything is fine other than I have seperated WB into its own partition. The games will be stored on DH1:, however it seems the script only looks for stuff on DH0:

Is there any way off adding this to the script, or if you can tell me where I can change it I will do.

Cheers again, ClassicWB is the dogs danglees ....

Old 17 January 2008, 13:20   #32
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by obb View Post
Hi guys,

Just getting back into the Amiga swing ... Got an A1200 coming from fleebay, anyway question for Bloodwych:

When searching for games does it only search DH0: the reason why I ask is in anticipation of getting the A1200 I have started building a real HDD with classicWB (great WB BTW!) using winUAE. Everything is fine other than I have seperated WB into its own partition. The games will be stored on DH1:, however it seems the script only looks for stuff on DH0:

Is there any way off adding this to the script, or if you can tell me where I can change it I will do.

Cheers again, ClassicWB is the dogs danglees ....
Welcome to EAB and the ClassicWB!

The ClassicWB is setup to support separate partitions for games/demos and the answer you seek is in the FAQ:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/faq.htm

and the TIPS:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/tips.htm

Quote:
At the start of the "S/User-Startup" file, assigns were added so common folders can be accessed and referred to easily in file requesters, programs, CLI and Scalos scripts. They're in the format "A-x", where "x" is the folder name. The prefix "A-" was added so they appear at the top of file requesters. If any of these folders differ in location (eg games folder is on DH1: not DH0:) then feel free to edit these assigns. Once edited, popup menus, Dopus and file requesters will all automatically be updated with the folders new location.
So all you need to do is open up the S/User-Startup file and change the A-Games: assign from DH0:Games to DH1:Games. You may want to do the A-Demos: one too.

All the popup menus, scripts etc will now look in DH1:Games and Demos for the files.

You'll also need to change the "A-" assigns in the S/MinBoot file also. ;)
Old 17 January 2008, 14:13   #33
obb

Cheers Bloodwych, I guess I should have read the FAQ thouroughly first! ... I will give that a try, I was sure it fairly simple, but my Amiga knowledge has disappeared from my brain in recent years!

Other than that congrats on a great WB, any chance of integrating a C64 emu into your WB? (I guess vice or frodo), not that they would run on a stock A1200.

Old 17 January 2008, 16:18   #34
Bloodwych

I have considered a C64 emulator, but decided not to in the end as it's something the user can very easily add themselves.

I may add one to the P96 and UAE packs, as they already have a spectrum emu.
Old 17 January 2008, 19:49   #35
DoogUK
Doogster

which install would you recommend on a 1200/040 with 32mb ram?
Old 17 January 2008, 21:29   #36
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogUK View Post
which install would you recommend on a 1200/040 with 32mb ram?
With an 040 and that much ram, any will perform fine.

The main deciding factor for you will be the type of monitor you're using. FULL is for TV set resolutions (640x256), ADV and above for interlaced or multisync resolutions (eg 640x512).

If you want to use hard drive storage over 4GB, you might be better off with OS3.9 as you'll have to mess around installing patches to Workbench 3.0/1 in order to get more storage space (see sticky at the top of the forum).