English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 December 2001, 22:47   #1
MethodGit

Hooooo Hmmm....

What do you think of this multi-games CD (PC games, emulation roms/emus and all that fine shit)?

http://www.dith.cwc.net/games4pc.html

I'm not saying I wanna buy it, but is it considered an honest deal?
Old 19 December 2001, 23:28   #2
Jim

I think it's a con. It states that all games on the CD are shareware or freeware.

If it is then how come he charges £12 - this is far more than would be expected for reasonable costs in copying the CD - remember you are not allowed to charge far more than the cost of CD & duplication when making shareware compilations.

Why does he show pictures of obvious commercial games - Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Street Fighter etc....? if he lists as shareware. Either he's making money of old commerical games, or he's lying and these games are not in there.

Why pay for all of this when it can be downloaded ?

Old 20 December 2001, 02:44   #3
TikTok

Marz, do you really need to ask this question? Surely you could have worked this out for yourself, especially after the other threads there have been on this subject.

Its a total ripoff like Jim says. There are clearly screenshots of commercial games, including N64 titles. At the bottom of the page it states that all titles are freeware and distributed with the authors permission. Now either a) He is talking bollocks there, or b) There are no commercial game roms included, in which case is is blatantly trying to give you the impressive that there are by showing screenshots of them all. Either way, he's trying to con you. Even with a 56K connection, you can download almost anything and everything that you might need without having to finance ripoff merchants like this.
Old 20 December 2001, 03:20   #4
birdy-scc
Banned

The actual price of the disc is £8, which includes p+p.

For a new user, without any knowledge and a 56k modem, I'd say that is an ok deal. If it gives good instructions on how to use the emulators, and the freeware games are good, then it's not really a ripoff.

On a normal modem you'd pay a lot more than £8 for that amount of crap!
Old 20 December 2001, 04:04   #5
TikTok

I'm still not convinced because the content seems so ambiguous. If there really are no commercial games on there (and lets face it, that is what Marz is after), I would definitely say the CD is not worth it. The guy is basically selling the emulators and the PD roms, both of which are illegal. A lot of the PD roms for systems like the SNES or the Megadrive are tiny technical demos - hardly something most people would use a great deal.

As for the freeware or shareware - a lot of shareware can be crippled to an extent that it becomes effectively just a demo, and if the freeware is so good, why doesn't he post screenshots? IMHO showing screenshots of something which is not on the CD is blatantly attempting to mislead people, no matter how many warnings there are about their actual non-existence.

There are actually some fairly good deals on Internet access in the UK, and it is quite possible to get free net access anytime for very little. Or better still, get a job and use their internet access!
Old 20 December 2001, 04:24   #6
Jim

I am ignoring wheteher it's irrelavant as to wether it's cheaper to buy the CD or pay telephone bills downloading these files yourself.

And also ignornig the contents of the disc.

In my opinion it is still a con.

He's doing one of the following which is not helping this scene at all:

A - Selling "abandonware" (old COMMERICAL games). The games companies might turn a blind eye to people downloading XXXXXXX, but if they see people selling it on CD's on the web or in markets they will not be amused - and surely if anyone profits it should be them ?

-- or --

B - Selling freeware or shareware at vast profit. Most authors allow you to sell their programs for a reasonable cost on a PD disk/disc - e.g. the old PD houses. But to sell a 50p (max) CDR of someone elses work for £8+ is despicable. I'd say a reasonable charge would be £2.50 + shipping (£1 to UK).

Maybe he could be forgven if he also offered a link from where to obtain this stuff online yourself as only the lazy, narrowband or stupid people would pay and the rest of us could download.

Old 20 December 2001, 13:37   #7
birdy-scc
Banned

I say good luck to the guy.
Old 20 December 2001, 13:38   #8
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by TikTok
If there really are no commercial games on there (and lets face it, that is what Marz is after)
Ahem, maybe you didn't look closely at my initial post, but I did exclaim:

Quote:
Can you guess what that means?
Old 20 December 2001, 13:43   #9
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I don't think that there is anything illegal on the CDs - the guy is just using the arcade game screenshots to make gullible people buy a CD full of free stuff.
Old 20 December 2001, 18:53   #10
TikTok

Quote:
Ahem, maybe you didn't look closely at my initial post, but I did exclaim:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're not saying you don't want to buy it either, and since you were asking for opinions on the "deal", certain conclusions are were drawn.

I still say its not a good deal; if you want freeware or shareware, go to one of the directories and download only what you think you will like. If you want roms etc, there are even some people around who will copy you CDs full of Mame roms etc just for the cost of the media and P+P.