English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 26 July 2006, 23:28   #1
DamienD
Banned

A few things I noticed since the upgrade...

As per title:

Added: at bottom of threads, the section that displays similar threads (or was this already there).
Removed: at bottom of threads, the part that says how many users / who is viewing the thread (not really important but a nice feature).

Did the above two things happen since the upgrade or am I just going crazy?

Obviously there are loads of improvements after RCK's hard work

Just out of interest what have you guys noticed that's different in terms of features?
Old 26 July 2006, 23:48   #2
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
As per title:

Added: at bottom of threads, the section that displays similar threads (or was this already there).
This was already there before...

Quote:
Removed: at bottom of threads, the part that says how many users / who is viewing the thread (not really important but a nice feature).
Yep, it has dissappeared - was a nice feature and I'm thinking if this may be a temporary thing while all the migration/updates are in progress?

Quote:

Just out of interest what have you guys noticed that's different in terms of features?
I'm still getting mixed up icons appearing as mentioned in other post here
Old 26 July 2006, 23:52   #3
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
Quote:
i liked this feature too. Let's hope RCK will give it back to us.
Old 27 July 2006, 04:56   #4
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Ummm ... Is it just me (and my crash-prone PC), or has the handy search box for HOL at the top of just about every page on EAB been removed?
Old 27 July 2006, 08:33   #5
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
Ummm ... Is it just me (and my crash-prone PC), or has the handy search box for HOL at the top of just about every page on EAB been removed?
HOL is offline now due to server migration, so there isnt HOL search box on top of pages
Old 27 July 2006, 08:51   #6
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
HOL is offline now due to server migration, so there isnt HOL search box on top of pages
HOL is back since yesterday
Old 28 July 2006, 01:24   #7
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Maybe a bug?

I just copied some text from my editor (the one that comes with WinXP) and pasted it into the reply text field.
All looked fine but after a klick on "Preview Post" the format, spaces, new lines etc. are gone and all chars are transformed into lowercase ones.
Advanced mode or quick reply does not matter, the format of the text will be deleted and all letters became lowercase.

This is a new behavior. Before the server upgrade the copy & paste worked fine.
RCK may you can fix this? The txt file and the shreddered post can be found here:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=182
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=183

this also happened 3 days before and i needed to heavily edit a pasted text (http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=258259&postcount=32)
Old 28 July 2006, 04:06   #8
snyp
'Difficult'.

Quote:
As per title:

i would like to see a picture of RCK. would i trust this person to babysit my kids/login to my shell/borrow my car

Old 28 July 2006, 12:38   #9
Adderly
[Satan^God]

addition to by bug report of post#7

I wanted to edit my thread/post http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=235889&postcount=3
If i klick on "edit" and then on "advanced" the same bug occurs, all is transformed into lowercase etc. in the edit window. I did not typed/pasted text or anything, just klicked on the edit/advanced buttons! (note: i cancelled to edit the post to avoid that my post is shreddered)
This makes me think that it has nothing to do with pasting to the edit box as i guessed before, it must be some problem within the forum software.
Old 28 July 2006, 17:23   #10
Adderly
[Satan^God]

RCK fixed my problem, thanks!
Old 28 July 2006, 20:06   #11
Marcuz

Quote:
actually that can be useful, for instance if a moderator is checking a thread, you can avoid to report him bad posts, as you know he is reading them already.
Old 28 July 2006, 21:24   #12
RCK
Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
I dropped it because this was slowing down the EAB and I would like to see how fast I could make EAB run on new install. Now the migration is complete, I will reactivate the "Users Browsing Threads" option to see how much is will slow down the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
This is now back online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adderly
I just copied some text from my editor (the one that comes with WinXP) and pasted it into the reply text field.
All looked fine but after a klick on "Preview Post" the format, spaces, new lines etc. are gone and all chars are transformed into lowercase ones.
Fixed after a PM session

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy
I'm still getting mixed up icons appearing as mentioned in other post here
I think this problem is linked with your computer, maybe try other web browser to be sure it's not from you ? (Firefox, Opera)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyp
i would like to see a picture of RCK. would i trust this person to babysit my kids/login to my shell/borrow my car

You can see me there http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=19296
Old 28 July 2006, 21:59   #13
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
I think this problem is linked with your computer, maybe try other web browser to be sure it's not from you ? (Firefox, Opera)
It is mighty strange. As I wrote in another post (with attached screenshot of icon mix-up), I had recently upgraded my browser to IE7 beta 3 while EAB was being migrated and had not experienced this problem beforehand with IE6.

As you mention, the only other option is to try another Browser as IE7 can not be reverted back to IE6 (well, it can, but it's a painful process - Cheers Microsoft!), but, I can't see the point of this when I've visited numerous other sites with IE7, and not encountered anything unusual - especially icon mix-ups.

The actual running of EAB is not affected in any way on my computer. Tried clearing the browser cache, to no avail.

I can live with this one though, RCK
Old 28 July 2006, 22:02   #14
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

I viewed two entries in HOL and was told off for exceeding my daily search allowance - Locked out again!
Old 28 July 2006, 23:17   #15
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magno Boots
I viewed two entries in HOL and was told off for exceeding my daily search allowance - Locked out again!
What is you ISP ?
Old 28 July 2006, 23:19   #16
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy
I can live with this one though, RCK
give a try to http://www.getfirefox.com/, it's only 5 Mb and then I will be sure it's IE7 fault
Old 01 August 2006, 13:31   #17
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK
I dropped it because this was slowing down the EAB and I would like to see how fast I could make EAB run on new install. Now the migration is complete, I will reactivate the "Users Browsing Threads" option to see how much is will slow down the board
Many thanks RCK

Just out of curiosity, does it slow the board down by much?
Old 01 August 2006, 16:13   #18
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Many thanks RCK

Just out of curiosity, does it slow the board down by much?
with the new APC system cache, arround 5 miliseconds.