English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 April 2006, 15:01   #21
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I'm still buying PS1 games. But they are becoming rare...

And I never was aware that there is 'Panzer General' for PSX.
Old 04 April 2006, 16:55   #22
Dizzy
Pirate

Well Sony did release some "mouse-game" to support their mouse,in the early year. I still got mine, bought it 1 month after I bought my playstation, to be able to play discworld
But the playstation wasn't the best way to play adventure game, to much loading time between levels (but being a amigaowner and have played Indy 4 on my Amiga500 I was very Patience)
Old 04 April 2006, 23:13   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

All Amiga users are patient Ah the times where I would fool myself into thinking Castlevania was fun and having to wait for it to boot for AGES. Or Dune. I owned it on the PC, but no, I just had to play the six disk Amiga version with endless swapping...
Old 05 April 2006, 00:03   #24
bluebrummie
bluebrummie

Send a message via MSN to bluebrummie Send a message via Yahoo to bluebrummie
Smile

Well they say you learn something new every day and this is true! I didn't know that it was thanks to Nintendo that the Playstation got developed?!

"The history of the Playstation begins in 1988 when Sony and Nintendo were working together to develop the Super Disc. The Super Disc was going to be a CD-ROM attachment that was intended to be part of Nintendo's soon to be released Super Nintendo game. However, Sony and Nintendo parted ways business-wise and the Super Disc was never introduced or used by Nintendo. In 1991, Sony used a modified version of the Super Disk as part of their new game console - the Sony Playstation. Research and development for the PlayStation had began in 1990, headed by Sony engineer, Ken Kutaragi". Full report here:

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...laystation.htm
Old 05 April 2006, 01:15   #25
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I wonder what happened between Nintendo and Square in those days. What made Square turn to Playstation and basically make it the most popular console with FF7? It took years before Square would release another game on a Nintendo platform!

If only FF7 would have been a N64 game... what would the world today look like?
Old 05 April 2006, 01:37   #26
bluebrummie
bluebrummie

Send a message via MSN to bluebrummie Send a message via Yahoo to bluebrummie
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal
I wonder what happened between Nintendo and Square in those days. What made Square turn to Playstation and basically make it the most popular console with FF7? It took years before Square would release another game on a Nintendo platform!

If only FF7 would have been a N64 game... what would the world today look like?
I don't know but I bet Nintendo were kicking themselves when the popularity rose with the Playstation!
Old 10 April 2006, 00:16   #27
StarEye
Zone Friend

Well, Squaresoft wanted to create a much bigger game, and FFVII was simply too large for the cartridges - it would have to end up on two cartridges or more. The original idea was that N64 was supposed to have a CD drive instead of being cartridge based, so Squaresoft was counting on CDs. Sony was developing that CD drive for them, and the project was called PSX.

Well, Nintendo changed their minds and decided to go for cartridge, which was a blow against Sony. The contract was off, and Sony decided to make their own CD-based console instead, thus the Playstation was born.

Squaresoft switched "sides" because they already had FFVII in development for a CD-based system. They converted what they had from FFVII (which is why the characters look like N64 style characters) to the Playstation, and the main FF series has been Playstation exclusive ever since.

EDIT: seems my facts aren't completely right. But I know that FFVII was in development for the N64 (there was even a very early demo of some sort from it).
Old 11 May 2006, 02:17   #28
petza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Good as the PS1 was in its day, play some of the games on a PS2 today, and some of them are absolutely shocking. Need For Speed is absolutely horrendous.
i know what your going to say m8 the
C64 is way better
Old 11 May 2006, 12:34   #29
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter
dont forget sony holds the rights to the GTA franchise

PS3 will be 360's bigdaddy! just u wait
http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/actio...ml?sid=6149747
Old 11 May 2006, 21:23   #30
gotmashed

ive come to understand that gaffics dont make a good game ive put my ps1 ps2 and xbox in to storage and got my amiga back out as 90% of the games have far better game play than 99% these days they seem to spend more time making them look pretty so im not holding out much hope of the ps3 beening much better but saying that ive enjoyed more games on the ps than i have the on the xbox the ff games being some