English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 April 2006, 16:32   #21
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi Gizmomelb

I have already had one order from Norway - so I'll pretty much post to anywhere.

You are more than welcome to drop me a PM with you addrees on and when it's completed I'll get one out in the post to you.
Old 20 April 2006, 17:43   #22
Macca
Zone Friend

Hmmm up to 2.14GB on the Zzap 64 issues and another 34 to add.

This may end up on two DVD's unless I can think of something clever to do - lol
Old 20 April 2006, 21:19   #23
StarEye
Zone Friend

If it does, make sure that you put the "proper" games on one disc.
Old 20 April 2006, 21:37   #24
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
@macca can you not rar or zip etc then have them unpack to a set place etc?
Old 20 April 2006, 22:18   #25
Macca
Zone Friend

The minor problem is that it is already zipped (the frontened unarchives everything you see) and PDFs are on maximum compression - its only a minor problem and worst case scenario is that it'll be 1 x DVD 1 x CD.

A quick update.

All tapes / disks for Zzap 64 and additional things such as calendars have been renamed so it looks tidier (and is of a certain standard).

Just converting the last 20 or so issues to PDF then that's finished after that I need a front-end for the autorun (hint hint) to work on.

Old 20 April 2006, 22:53   #26
Bloodwych

Go Macca, Go! Looking good. I'm definitely going to finish that C64 bloodwych!

Converting all those Zzap isn't a small task - that's dedication for you! Is it going to be HD installable only if it spans more than 1 disk? Have you got a dual layer burner? That would soon eat into your pocket sending DL disks out!!!

To be honest, I think most people would install this to the HD anyway rather than play from disk.
Old 20 April 2006, 23:01   #27
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi Mr Wych

It's going to be both - because of the really small nature of the roms and what have you, you can browse it from the DVD and run the games, etc. with no problems. Same really with the Zzap 64s as they're around 30MB each.

However as I know most people would like it to run from the HD there is going to be a copy routine (and probably an Autorun on DVD / CD) to copy everything to HD (or just the C64 Roms minus the magazines) - I'll probably be enlisting the help of Mr DamienD for this bit.

Then theres a few reg tweaks and we're good to go.

I'm glad to say that now the Zzap 64 is complete - having just had a look at the filesizes up to yet it has now gone over the single DVD mark - yes I do have a dual layer burner but the cost of dual layer disks are stupid still.

Anyway attached is a picture of the filesizes - lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FileSize.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	10847  
Old 20 April 2006, 23:14   #28
Bloodwych

Sounds like you have it all planned - you've really put this together quick! Nice that damien and sarek were so fast at lending a hand.

Yeah, dual layer is still so high, the last premium product media companies are grasping onto until the next big format arrives. Bet it comes tumbling down in price when blueray/HD gathers momentum. I only asked just in case you were filthy rich!

I may burn a copy on DL my end as it'll be nice to have it all on one disk.
Old 21 April 2006, 07:58   #29
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi Mate

Well all the routines that I have in mind it will allow recompositon from 1 DVD / 1 CD to 1 Dual Layer (i.e. all thats going to be missed out is the last 20 or so Zzap Magazines so when you copy them back into the folder the routine will know they're there).

I will look into getting some dual layers and the lucky ones of you will get it on one dual layer - hell if the way the projects going up to yet then it's going to be 2 DVD's (I need to calm down on content - lol)
Old 21 April 2006, 16:01   #30
dirkies
Zone Friend

awesome, when it is finalized, I wanna buy a copy (1 DVD & CD is fine for me, I can DL burn it myself afterwards)
Old 21 April 2006, 16:02   #31
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
what you want for the title of the dvd macca??? Macca's C64 Dvd?
Old 21 April 2006, 16:21   #32
Macca
Zone Friend

Yeah that would be fine mate.

Old 21 April 2006, 20:26   #33
Macca
Zone Friend

Okay another quick update.

The first bit of good news - there is no need to have registry files.

The bad news is that there is a need for INI files - this means that its a long and laborious task for me to support every drive letter.

Now this is where you come in.

What drives would you like to be able to install the stuff to? At the moment I have selected C: D: and Z: do you want more supported?
Old 21 April 2006, 20:41   #34
Bloodwych

Well, on my main PC I have 2 160GB HDs split into 3 partitions each, making a total of six partitions! That means I'd need C-H: and my CDRW is I:, DVDRW J: !!!! 8 letters in total, 6 are hard disk only.

I'm guessing your optical drive is Z: ?? Why else is it there?

On my retrobox I have 3 partitions plus the optical drive.

Taking in to account that very few people will have more partitions than me, perhaps H: can be the limit?

If it's too much trouble, then just stick to what you want. I can always add the drive letter(s) myself due to my odd setup.
Old 21 April 2006, 20:48   #35
Macca
Zone Friend

Ack

Just realised something else.

I need to be able to run this off DVD and if I can't find a way to change the paths so it's like %CurrentDrive% or something it may be a pain to do that!

Doh.

I'll suport those drives though Mr Wych - I wouldn't want you to have an excuse when you fail to complete the C64 version of Bloodwych...
Old 21 April 2006, 20:59   #36
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca
The first bit of good news - there is no need to have registry files.

The bad news is that there is a need for INI files - this means that its a long and laborious task for me to support every drive letter.
Welcome to my world Macca, luckily you do not need to setup different options for the emulators and will just copy everything from the DVD to the HDD. You would be up for a real mission otherwise... This is why just adding Zsnes to my DVD is taking me so long and the need for the complex batch file

The support for every drive letter should not be a big deal. I'm in the middle of finishing off those set of Zsnes config files, afterwards I'll give you a hand...

Last edited by DamienD; 21 April 2006 at 21:09.
Old 21 April 2006, 21:04   #37
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I need to be able to run this off DVD and if I can't find a way to change the paths so it's like %CurrentDrive% or something it may be a pain to do that!
Don't worry, I'll help you with this as well. In the end you will be able to run it from the DVD (which can be any drive letter)
Old 21 April 2006, 21:13   #38
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi Mate

I've sorted the links out (basically copying a shortcut to the desktop) which is no hardship (though I'll have to use my usb floppy to create the other shortcuts as it checks the files are there) anyway any advice you have on how to do this - I'm sure theres a variable I've missed somewhere...
Old 21 April 2006, 21:28   #39
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Hi Mate

I've sorted the links out (basically copying a shortcut to the desktop) which is no hardship (though I'll have to use my usb floppy to create the other shortcuts as it checks the files are there) anyway any advice you have on how to do this - I'm sure theres a variable I've missed somewhere...
Yup, it's a pain to create all shortcuts which need to point to all the different drive letters.

Say I have C: + D: (which are phsysical partitions) and E: which is a DVD drive. C: + D: are easy as you just copy the files to there and created the shorcuts...

Here's what you need to for the rest of them:

... Change the DVD drive to Z: for now.
... Say all your files are stored in the root of C: in a directory called C64. Create a directory called C:\___ and move the directory C64 to this.
... Now run a command prompt and type subst E: \___. Now if you do a dir on the E: drive you will see C64 in the root
... Create your shortcut.
... Once finished, run a command prompt and type subst E: /D.
... Now type subst F: \___ and repeat until all shorcuts for each letter are created.

Hope this makes sense

There's another way to do this but it involves burning a CD / DVD and then changing your CD / DVD drive to each letter so that you can create the shortcuts...
Old 21 April 2006, 21:42   #40
Macca
Zone Friend

Yeah I've got that I basically did it with a usb floppy drive though.. <G>

And used disk management to change the drive letter just the running off the DVD now that I'm going to have prob's with.