English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 July 2005, 11:31   #1
Peanutuk

Edge August 2005 - The Making Of...'Robocod'.

This month's edition of EDGE magazine features the Amiga game James Pond II: Robocod as part of its regular 'The Making Of...' feature.

Last edited by Peanutuk; 13 July 2005 at 13:53.
Old 15 July 2005, 12:26   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Scan it! Yay!
Old 15 July 2005, 15:23   #3
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Yeah!!! wanna read it
Old 15 July 2005, 15:24   #4
Peanutuk

There's also an interview with the creator of Monkey Island that's quite interesting-ish.
Old 24 July 2005, 01:13   #5
girv
Mostly Harmless

...in The Zone
Old 24 July 2005, 02:25   #6
kriz

thanks
Old 24 July 2005, 08:54   #7
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Thumbs up Awesome!

There is NOTHING worse than someone saying there is a great article in some magazine and not scanning it for everyone to enjoy!

So thanks a bunch Girv!
Old 24 July 2005, 12:22   #8
Peanutuk

i shan't bother next time.
Old 24 July 2005, 15:57   #9
kriz

yes you should peanutuk And where is this monkey island article?
Old 24 July 2005, 16:35   #10
Peanutuk

I remember a while back when the Amiga was featured in an Edge Retro article some users, especialy those living far away from the UK wanted scans uploading to the Zone. RCK was, rightly, uncomfortable in regards to hosting scans from a magazine that has only been on sale a few days. As such they were up for 24 hours for overseas users and then taken down.

The Making Of.. article was a bit crap, as is much of Edge, but if you want to read it you can buy the magazine no matter where in the world you are, asking for a scan is a little lame in my opinion.
Old 24 July 2005, 16:53   #11
EmuChicken

I enjoyed the read ;-) Thanks for that

... so that guy made 70% of robocod by himself.... woah
Old 24 July 2005, 20:57   #12
girv
Mostly Harmless

To avoid any ... problems ... its been deleted from The Zone.

That was the first issue of Edge I'd ever bought and probably the last. Too highbrow for me, I'm more at the PC Gamer level
Old 24 July 2005, 21:50   #13
Codetapper

Peanut: That's a great attitude. Remember some of us do not live in the UK and magazines take weeks/months to arrive. And I wouldn't buy a rag like the Edge for just one article - especially when it would probably have fitted on 1 or 2 pages in Amiga Format back in the day! The article itself was very brief on details - your average Zzap diary of a game used to have more information.
Old 25 July 2005, 01:08   #14
Peanutuk

Thanks, you won't buy it but you'll happily let me buy it so I can scan it in for you. Apart from that it is indisputably illegal which is why it's been removed from the Zone. I remember that I had this exact discussion with you last time.

And you're wrong about it being a "rag", it's printed on ridiculously high quality paper which no doubt excuses its £4 price tag.

Last edited by Peanutuk; 25 July 2005 at 01:14.
Old 25 July 2005, 06:56   #15
Codetapper

Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to buy the magazine. Just like nobody could stop you going into a store and reading that article then walking out without buying it. (Assuming of course you can wait a few months then find the magazine in the shops).

You chose to start this topic with nothing but "bait" about Robocod. You could have said that the article was really about 2 pages expanded to fill 4, with huge amounts of whitespace and barely mentioning any technical details about the game. I thought for a "making of" article it was poor.

And just because it's printed on high quality paper doesn't mean it ain't a rag. I would rather have decent content on a fish'n'chips-style bound black and white Zzap from 1985 than a "fancy" mag full of articles like that Robocod one...

As for RCK being worried about hosting the file on EAB, there is no reason the file couldn't be hosted on any old website. There's nothing wrong with hosting a LINK to a file afterall. I'd happily upload those scans for anyone else that missed it and wants to read the article...

Last edited by Codetapper; 25 July 2005 at 07:50.
Old 25 July 2005, 10:42   #16
nzo
WHD/oldskool maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
I'd happily upload those scans for anyone else that missed it and wants to read the article...
Please do it! I've missed it.

regards,
enzo
Old 25 July 2005, 13:59   #17
Codetapper

Here you go enzo:

http://www.codetapper.com/Edge - 200...II RoboCod.zip
Old 25 July 2005, 14:09   #18
keropi

thanx Codetapper!
Old 25 July 2005, 14:16   #19
Peanutuk

Quote:
Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to buy the magazine. Just like nobody could stop you going into a store and reading that article then walking out without buying it. (Assuming of course you can wait a few months then find the magazine in the shops).

You chose to start this topic with nothing but "bait" about Robocod. You could have said that the article was really about 2 pages expanded to fill 4, with huge amounts of whitespace and barely mentioning any technical details about the game. I thought for a "making of" article it was poor.

And just because it's printed on high quality paper doesn't mean it ain't a rag. I would rather have decent content on a fish'n'chips-style bound black and white Zzap from 1985 than a "fancy" mag full of articles like that Robocod one...

As for RCK being worried about hosting the file on EAB, there is no reason the file couldn't be hosted on any old website. There's nothing wrong with hosting a LINK to a file after all. I'd happily upload those scans for anyone else that missed it and wants to read the article...
The post was a news item to alert users that the article existed without which nobody would have the chance to read it. To insinuate that I posted it as 'bait' ,which I assume to mean that I was teasing those who couldn't read it, is perfectly dullard statement to make; the Edge Retro article was announced, scanned in and uploaded by myself, I stated quite clearly above that the article was "a bit crap". I’m hardly waving my precious copy of 'eDgE' in your face. You seem to be under the impression that I should not only buy the mag, but scan it in, send it to you and then read it for you!

I seem to remember that the exact same thing happened last time; seriously, it isn't my fault if you live in New Zealand.

I completely agree what you say about the link, however the term 'rag' is usually applied to tabloid-style papers that are full of crap. I couldn't care less what an article is printed upon but try and find any magazine on a news shelf that isn't printed on glossy mahogany. Today's publishing culture seems to insist on this glossy treatment as though every magazine was something to cherish. It clearly isn't.
Old 25 July 2005, 16:13   #20
nzo
WHD/oldskool maniac

Quote:
Thank ya!
Bonus for you: LINK REMOVED.. CONTAINED LINKS TO KICKSTARTS -- NOT ALLOWED HERE... SORRY

A hungarian article about Putty Squad. I'll try to contact the author

cheers,
enzo

PS. what about a WHD version of SuperCars 2?

Last edited by BippyM; 25 July 2005 at 16:29.