English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 May 2024, 20:32   #181
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Does anybody know when the first Wolfenstein 3D port for Amiga came out?
I'm almost 100% sure the first Wolfenstein 3D port was released in 1999, as shown here https://web.archive.org/web/20010711...pa-wolf3d.html
Old 16 May 2024, 21:29   #182
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
I'm almost 100% sure the first Wolfenstein 3D port was released in 1999, as shown here https://web.archive.org/web/20010711...pa-wolf3d.html
About 7 years after you have a port that a "68030 or better CPU".

It seems that with some optimization in the end it runs well on a A1200 in 2x1.
[ Show youtube player ]

And eventually it came also a Dread version which runs even on a A500, which had been released at the time the story would be way different.
[ Show youtube player ]

Still I think point of the mvg still stands, while people are used to say Doom killed the Amiga, its downfall started with Wolfenstein, at the time we didn't even got Wolfenstein, the new kid on the block in gaming.

PS- Nice reference
https://scalibq.wordpress.com/2022/0...olfenstein-3d/
Old 16 May 2024, 21:53   #183
Amigajay

Nobody outside PC gaming gave too hoots for Wolfenstein in all honesty, we were shown it back around 1992, and thought it was ok and moved on to the next game that day, remembering more of the awful sfx that came out of his speakers, it never had the wow factor that Doom did.

Even the console ports didn’t make headline news, just another game reviewed in the SNES magazine that month. The 8 page reviews and front covers were reserved rightly so for Doom.
Old 17 May 2024, 00:36   #184
Adropac2
Zone Friend

possibly a bit controversial but I remember at the time of seeing Wolfenstein on a friends pc at his work and personally speaking it wasn't impressive to me. In terms of what it was doing technically then fair enough sure but it didn't engage in the same way Starfox for example was with it's altogether more complex and dazzling gameplay. Doom was something else altogether of course because that was very standout in lots of ways but Wolfenstein always felt to me at least like this thing that got more mention than it deserved. Baby steps I know

Then again I was also playing Goldeneye by the time I eventually got to see and play Doom and that too felt overshadowed. Thing is though Doom was especially good considering just how much more advanced and perfect an arcade shooter it was over Wolfenstein and it boggles my mind how they went from that to the miracle that is Doom. Quite the most amazing achievement and it absolutely must have been mind blowing at the time. I just missed the boat
Old 17 May 2024, 01:04   #185
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Wolf3d is a grind for sure, extremely repetitive. Back in those days it was easier to forgive shallowness in games when the tech made a leap forward. There weren't many games in which you could mow down mecha-Hitler either.
Old 17 May 2024, 01:14   #186
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Wolf3d is a grind for sure, extremely repetitive. Back in those days it was easier to forgive shallowness in games when the tech made a leap forward. There weren't many games in which you could mow down mecha-Hitler either.

i was probably weird, wolfie did look new/different but its novelty wore off on me pretty quickly, i went back to playing 1 or 2 player hired guns not that long after. Probably more weird but i also liked playing the demo version of HG in multiplayer, never finished HG so no idea if that map was included somewhere in the full version.
Old 17 May 2024, 04:46   #187
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
That makes sense. Thank you
Old 17 May 2024, 04:56   #188
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Nobody outside PC gaming gave too hoots for Wolfenstein in all honesty, we were shown it back around 1992, and thought it was ok and moved on to the next game that day, remembering more of the awful sfx that came out of his speakers, it never had the wow factor that Doom did.
I gave a hoot about when I first saw it. Especially the enemy animation and sounds were pretty good (given the PC you played it on had a sound card) and of course the new 'view angle' was enticing. Granted it didn't make me run to the next store to get a PC, but it certainly didn't look like most PC games at the time.

Wolfenstein 3D didn't make headlines indeed, but then again it was an indie title. It was more of a slow burner. The fact that Wolf 3D put id on the map so that Doom got the attention it did before release tells a lot.
Old 17 May 2024, 05:58   #189
dreadnought

Quote:
The copium is super strong with this one
Old 17 May 2024, 07:07   #190
Cris1997XX

I mean...hey, we're all shitting on Wolfenstein 3D right now but Hovertank 3D and Catacomb 3D were even worse. They both ran in EGA mode and had next to no music, so there's that too
Old 17 May 2024, 07:26   #191
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Hovertank 3D
Bloody hell
Old 17 May 2024, 08:05   #192
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] but Hovertank 3D and Catacomb 3D were even worse. [...]
Never heard of them. But based on YT looks like you're right.
Old 17 May 2024, 09:04   #193
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
To be fair in 1992 people were playing SMD, SNES, Amiga, ST, NES, SMS, C64, ZX Spectrum. 2D games were still dominating the market and the consoles did give the Amiga a second lease of life too. I don't even remember seeing Wolfenstein 3D advertised anywhere or many people talking about it. PC still wasn't there yet in terms of popularity for gaming.

Amiga 500 could probably do something similar to the Mega Drive port of Wolfenstein 3D. I see a similar technique being used in GRIND.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Whitesnake; 17 May 2024 at 09:10.
Old 17 May 2024, 09:17   #194
Dunny

We already had stuff like Driller, Dark Side et al, Infestation, Cybercon III so the 3D aspect of it wasn't that surprising - it was just textured is all, as it was pretty obviously just a grid layout.

It was fun though, I used to play it on my friend's 386SX. What really blew me away and - if it weren't for the awful sound - the game I was most envious of was Underworld. Even though it was largely a slideshow with floor and ceiling textures, it was just incredible.
Old 17 May 2024, 09:49   #195
Amigajay

Quote:
Cheer up! We all don’t come from the land of the PC where every dude was walking down the street with a ghetto blaster and 286 over their shoulder!

Your perspective is no more valid than mine, PC gaming was laughable in the UK until 1993, yes there were some impressive games coming out the last couple of years, but like the Neo-Geo we looked, we moved on and played games that were fun on less powerful machines.

Wolfenstein was just a blip on the radar in most countries, in hindsight people like to think it was bigger, it was a massive step in fps games sure, but thats it.
Old 17 May 2024, 12:51   #196
dreadnought

Quote:
I mean...hey, we're all shitting on Wolfenstein 3D right now but Hovertank 3D and Catacomb 3D were even worse. They both ran in EGA mode and had next to no music, so there's that too
By all means, an evolution of a groundbreaking 3D engine should be judged on the music quality. Logic: 11/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
To be fair in 1992 people were playing SMD, SNES, Amiga, ST, NES, SMS, C64, ZX Spectrum. 2D games were still dominating the market and the consoles did give the Amiga a second lease of life too. I don't even remember seeing Wolfenstein 3D advertised anywhere or many people talking about it. PC still wasn't there yet in terms of popularity for gaming.
Yes, people were playing 2D games on a multum of different platforms and the appearance of W3D didn't make any of us stop doing that - but that's obvious. Playing whatever games were available on your platform didn't mean you wouldn't pay attention to what was happening elsewhere. And even if some dude who liked SF2 or what have you didn't care, you can be more than assured that the industry was watching very closely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
We already had stuff like Driller, Dark Side et al, Infestation, Cybercon III so the 3D aspect of it wasn't that surprising - it was just textured is all, as it was pretty obviously just a grid layout.
As somebody who has been enthralled with the FP 3D concept since I could first climb up and peek through Battlezone visor in the arcades, I have always been following the evolution of this genre. All the games you mention were amazing but also still on the other side of the divide, gameplay and tech wise. And that's from somebody who considers Corporation a Top 10 game.

Of course 3D itself was nothing new, you could play flight sims, etc since forever, but that's precisely why Wolfenstein 3D was such a pivotal moment in gaming history. It was the first time the holy grail of fast action with free 360 degree movement in a textured space was realized. That, alongside Ultima Underworld 2, has opened the door to 3D in a way which in the space of a few years has completely transformed the videogaming landscape.

Quote:
Cheer up! We all don’t come from the land of the PC where every dude was walking down the street with a ghetto blaster and 286 over their shoulder!
A "cheer up!" is a strange bit of advice coming from somebody who has just spent an entire post complaining about a videogame. Also, that wild swing later is a really amusing miss, seein' as you're talking to a person from a fairly backwards country, who was stuck with the good ol' A500 up till ~1996

Look, if you want to go on record saying silly things like "nobody gave a hoot about W3D outside of PC gaming" and that was a "blip" then by all means it's your god given right to do so, but so is mine to mock it. Although, I'd rather not do it here, we have a perfect thread just for this kind of comical stuff: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=86674&page=222
Old 17 May 2024, 12:56   #197
Dunny

Quote:
As somebody who has been enthralled with the FP 3D concept since I could first climb up and peek through Battlezone visor in the arcades, I have always been following the evolution of this genre. All the games you mention were amazing but also still on the other side of the divide, gameplay and tech wise. And that's from somebody who considers Corporation a Top 10 game.

Of course 3D itself was nothing new, you could play flight sims, etc since forever, but that's precisely why Wolfenstein 3D was such a pivotal moment in gaming history. It was the first time the holy grail of fast action with free 360 degree movement in a textured space was realized. That, alongside Ultima Underworld 2, has opened the door to 3D in a way which in the space of a few years has completely transformed the videogaming landscape.
Was the beginning of the standardisation for controls in fast-moving 3D/FPS games too. Prior to that it was either flight-sim controls or various keyboard operations for looking and moving and none of them were anything other than clunky.
Old 17 May 2024, 23:35   #198
idrougge

Quote:

Even the console ports didn’t make headline news, just another game reviewed in the SNES magazine that month. The 8 page reviews and front covers were reserved rightly so for Doom.
I remember my father reading about it in a national newspaper in 1992 and telling me about it, so it certainly made headlines.
Old 18 May 2024, 00:20   #199
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It would have made headlines for the fact that you're shooting Nazis in it alone, forget the pseudo-3D aspect of it.
Old 27 May 2024, 01:31   #200
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Back to GRIND: important update incoming!

We have FINALLY fixed all wall collision issues!!!
This is a big deal fellas, this issue has been plaguing the engine since the very-very first Dread demo! We're talking about the player getting into the map geometry with ease, most explosions and projectiles thrown to them disappearing and even enemies often passing through them effortlessly...

You can understand that all these game breaking problems are massively serious. People have been patient enough and never complained, however I knew it would suck (big time) if I released the game with such important bugs still left in. Hence this has been in my priority list since the birth of the project.

And today, I'm pleased to announce this milestone is also done & ready!
Big kudos to the team!