English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 21 April 2023, 11:10   #1
kamelito
Zone Friend

Latest version of DICE Pro C compiler

Hi
I have googled a bit and also checked grandis but I cannot find the latest version of DICE Pro C compiler, not even any version can someone put it in the zone or point to a download link?
Cheers
Old 21 April 2023, 11:13   #2
kamelito
Zone Friend

Might be it http://aminet.net/package/dev/c/dice-3.16
Old 14 May 2024, 22:04   #3
talybont

Haven't seen this posted here already, so just for anyone who might be interested. I know the source has been released before, but I believe it now has a new license (BSD) and some work done to it to make it work on 64-bit hosts.

Quote:
This is the DICE C compiler suite which I wrote as shareware for the Amiga in the early 90's. I no longer do any development work on this project but there seem to be enough people still in need of it, including myself for some old commercial projects, that I decided to wash it off and report to run on a BSD or Linux host. Recently I reported and revalidated it to work on a 64-bit host (mostly involving changing all instances of 'long' to 'int32_t', as well as some other issues).

This compiler can generate generic 68000 output, it doesn't have to be targetted to the Amiga. It contains all utilities required to compile, assemble, link, rom, etc.

Version 1.15 is cleaned up and the copyright has been changed to the BSD license. dmake is needed to compile it up under unix. It will generate 68K code, amiga binaries and objects, etc.
http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeSrc/dice-1.15.tgz
Old 15 May 2024, 13:09   #4
offog

That was partly my fault - I asked Matt Dillon last year if he'd considered releasing DICE under an open source license, and he very kindly did so.

I've put some work into getting the source to build cleanly on modern Linux systems, and to be able to cross-compile a minimal Amiga compiler that can then build the full commercial compiler on the Amiga. I've not tested it extensively but it seems to work OK - you can even run a minimal version (C standard library only) from two floppies on a 1MB A500.

My changes are in a GitLab repository here. See the build instructions for how to compile it. Suggestions welcome...

Some notes if anyone does look at it: because the 1.15 code made use of several C99 library features, I've implemented them in DICE. This means you can't just compile it with the last Aminet release of DICE, unfortunately. I've also imported the changes from the latest Dragonfly version of dmake - I haven't tested whether all the new features work on the Amiga (I suspect some won't without a bit of work).

Last edited by offog; 15 May 2024 at 13:16.
Old 15 May 2024, 21:06   #5
talybont

@offog: Nice! I can't contribute anything meaningful to your efforts, but I applaud them!