English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 February 2024, 17:48   #641
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"don't work" reports are not acceptable.

Seems to work fine when using right/player 2 controls. (I guess it is single player but gun is connected to player 2 port)
Old 20 February 2024, 18:22   #642
utri007
mä vaan

Now that we've figured out how these work, is it possible to turn them into, say, a CD game for Amiga?
Old 20 February 2024, 19:54   #643
phasermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
"don't work" reports are not acceptable.

Seems to work fine when using right/player 2 controls. (I guess it is single player but gun is connected to player 2 port)
In service mode you can enable 2 players

I don't know what to say, as with -log -ldlog 2 I don't see anything relative to input. Coins and starts work but I can't shoot with any of both guns.

But it's the only game I can't get to work. Are you using rom version 1.01 right?
Old 21 February 2024, 14:36   #644
LanceT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasermaniac View Post
Triggers don't work.
I had the same problem "Slow Ram" must be set to none(0)
bogomem_size=0

Hope this helps
Old 21 February 2024, 15:49   #645
phasermaniac

Wow it worked!
How did you know that? was already commented?
Should I use bogomem_size=0 in the other games? What does it do?
Old 21 February 2024, 16:15   #646
LanceT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasermaniac View Post
How did you know that? was already commented?
This was all Toni actually. I loaded my config then went to Quickstart and selected the ALG=TLBHv1.01 saved it. It worked, so I did a file compare to see the differences. Left side was my original.

As far as should all ALG games have this setting, I have some set to 2 and they seem to work. So "If it aint broke don't fix it"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compare.png
Views:	63
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	81704  
Old 22 February 2024, 00:01   #647
phasermaniac

Thanks you both I haven't messed up with quickstart configs
And last, what about platoon? This one shows me unemulated commands in -log -ldlog 2 in some monents, also when it goes to a new segment of the video, it has a big delay until it plays.
Can I make something to make it work better?
Old 23 February 2024, 16:32   #648
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Platoon (never tried to start the game until now) wants to use LD player's internal character generator (probably used for subtitles etc) to show some texts or something like that. (Huh? Why not use Amiga do that..)

Not sure if I am interested in emulating that, at least for now.. But I can add ACK reply to those commands without emulating any character generator features.
Old 23 February 2024, 17:15   #649
LanceT

Regarding Platoon, can someone confirm that it's not just my setup that errors.
When I press "RIGHT COIN" the "LEFT and RIGHT HOLSTERS" also activate, but when I press left and right holster buttons they don't register on the switch test. I believe the holsters are used in this game to reload? All other buttons seems to act the way they should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Platoon-keys.png
Views:	59
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	81713  
Old 23 February 2024, 20:16   #650
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Game seems to hang for few seconds without doing anything at all, not even sending any LDP commands. So far I have no idea whats wrong.

Holsters also work strangely (as reported in previous post). Also no idea how they are wired in this game. At least not yet.
Old 24 February 2024, 12:16   #651
phasermaniac

yes, it does what you say, when pressing right coin it activates left and right holsters.
But it seems to reload simply shooting offscreen
Old 25 February 2024, 15:05   #652
mrbabbage

Certainly Platoon used to work, and used the Amiga GFX as Damien and I spent some time trying to postprocess the video to align the targets. It's worth noting, though that Nova's other games heavily lent on the OSD text, to the extent of even using 1450 players for UK only releases, as there wasn't a 1450P player. COPS, for example, uses a '.' character positioned around the screen as the bullet mark, they got away without any true sprites in their entire laserdisc game range! They also relied on offscreen shooting for COPS, or rather, pretend that you had to shoot a specific part of the bezel to reload. It does make me wonder how much of a vestige of their original engine is here, maybe moving from the COPS hardware to ALG-like boards once they realised they needed more GFX than their rough and ready solution.
Old 25 February 2024, 18:30   #653
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbabbage View Post
Certainly Platoon used to work
Used to work? In some older UAE version? (if it did, someone needs to check, I am not that interested) Actual arcade cabinet worked?
Old 26 February 2024, 10:18   #654
mrbabbage

Yes, in the last beta cycle - the game was very laggy, took a long time to load up but you could coin up and play it in WinUAE. Seek times were very, very long though, so it may be that there are underlying issues.

EDIT: When I say "long seek times", the game seems to get to the appropriate frame quickly enough, but not play it until some time later, like it's waiting for a status flag or something else to time out. I didn't think anything of it, because it's unreleased code, but it's slower than the other Nova setups. I'm looking at other games they made on their original hardware to see how they exercise the player, I will get back to people on that.

Last edited by mrbabbage; 26 February 2024 at 10:57.
Old 26 February 2024, 19:50   #655
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Platoon delays fixed. It didn't like too fast seek complete responses.
Old 28 February 2024, 18:55   #656
phasermaniac

Very nice, it's very playable.
I only have one problem:
Ingame you need to shoot bottom to reload. This works in double line mode but wont in single line mode.
Also very nice you can map a button to do this, setting trigger + lightpen down ( and increasing digital joy-mouse speed) (it doesn't work neither in single line mode)

In the coments here [ Show youtube player ]
Someone say he saw the arcade cab (might be a prototype) years ago, but there are no photos nor videos of it.
Also, people have done some version for Daphne singe, I was looking in case it shows some clue about those unemulated LD texts: [ Show youtube player ] or [ Show youtube player ] (omg these huds )

But they are so amateurish it isn't reliable in any way. It can't compare to how it works in winuae
Old 28 February 2024, 19:27   #657
phasermaniac

One question Toni:
In 5.0.0 new features, you say:
Quote:
Added screen rotation support, to fully support Fast Draw Showdown (American Laser games) game that had 90 degree rotated display. D3D 9 and D3D 11 modes only.
I cant't find this option, I'm using d3d9. Where is it?
Old 28 February 2024, 19:52   #658
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

After few test plays, I noticed Platoon uses LDP char generator to show message "YOU'RE HIT!!". I have no idea what kind of font the LDP uses. If I decide to emulate this someday...

Now every edge of screen equals gun not pointing at the screen, allowing easier reloading. (Reloads happens if trigger is pressed without lightgun position detection)

Rotation: gfx_rotation=-90 in config file.
Old 29 February 2024, 11:45   #659
mrbabbage

Oh, I have the font, I've been thinking about HLEing the player as a MAME device for other things, and came across it. I'll send you directly, but it's probably a lot of effort to key graphics on top as well.
Old 01 March 2024, 15:56   #660
phasermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
After few test plays, I noticed Platoon uses LDP char generator to show message "YOU'RE HIT!!". I have no idea what kind of font the LDP uses. If I decide to emulate this someday...

Now every edge of screen equals gun not pointing at the screen, allowing easier reloading. (Reloads happens if trigger is pressed without lightgun position detection)

Rotation: gfx_rotation=-90 in config file.
Many thanks, it works perfect.