English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 February 2024, 17:39   #1
teppic

Directory drive emulation crashes on 1.3

I noticed when using the #? wildcard on a Windows folder emulated as a drive I was getting crashes under 1.3. Sometimes a guru, sometimes screen corruption and lock up. Just doing something like "dir a#?" is enough to cause it.

I narrowed it down to a long file name present in the directory ("Devpac3Manual [Devpac 3 User Manual.].pdf"), but it seems any long file name will cause the emulated machine to crash. Copying the file to RAM works, the name just gets truncated.

I'm not sure if this is a bug with the emulation or something unavoidable with names that are too long for 1.3 and wouldn't normally appear.

I tried with WB/Kickstart 2.04 and it seemed fine.
Old 25 February 2024, 18:33   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Anything can happen if program/OS does not like >30 character names. Usually it causes random memory corruption that may or may not cause any immediate visible problems.
Old 25 February 2024, 20:09   #3
mark_k

I wonder if the 1.x Dir executable (and any other commands affected by this issue) could be patched to use a larger filename buffer size. Don't really fancy looking at it myself since they're written in BCPL...

As a workaround, maybe try using the ARP commands instead?
Old 27 February 2024, 17:28   #4
teppic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
I wonder if the 1.x Dir executable (and any other commands affected by this issue) could be patched to use a larger filename buffer size. Don't really fancy looking at it myself since they're written in BCPL...

As a workaround, maybe try using the ARP commands instead?
I first noticed it when I tried to copy something (I think it was with copy p#? ram: ), so I imagine a lot of the commands crash the system with long file names. And that wasn't even referencing the file with the long name in the wildcard.

I guess it's simple enough to avoid since any Amiga filenames from real systems won't be that long.