English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 October 2023, 22:05   #1
oRBIT
Zone Friend

Remapping keys in WinUAE

Amiga-environments in WinUAE are causing me headaches sometimes since I've problems finding certain characters on the keyboard. Especially problematic are symbols like {}and such that are triggered by a combination of keys.
I don't understand how to manage that in WinUAE?

Thanks
Old 27 October 2023, 22:15   #2
Photon

Hey fellow Swede and friend.

This assumes a hardware Windows computer.

Can't bind key combinations in most/all emulators. Same here. If you have a Swedish PC keyboard this means Alt/shift 8/9 can't generate []{} if you hope to bind character (not same as key presses) to key presses. Just make sure Alt isn't mapped to something weird.

But probably the Amiga keyboard layout is similar, so emulation is faithful and you don't get the characters you expect because a different keymap is set in CLI/WB? Or no keymap which defaults to US which has them on the å^ keys right of P.

If you need a solution without WB or before Kickstart 2.0, I recommend SetMap and SetKey from a 1.3 disk. These let you remap how you want in a booted Amiga environment without ENV:Keymaps.

So, generally Amiga has you covered and you don't have to remap anything on a Windows PC to make characters of any* language work.

*Obviously I mean what ANSI and ISO supports. No OS supports all languages today.

Last edited by Photon; 27 October 2023 at 22:20.
Old 29 October 2023, 19:29   #3
oRBIT
Zone Friend

The problem is usually AsmOne and using special characters that are nowhere to be found (or very cleverly hidden).
Old 30 October 2023, 07:23   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You can use the 'custom event' in the input panel to map anything to your host keyboard.
Old 30 October 2023, 10:49   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Photon already told the answer: you almost surely have wrong AmigaOS keymap (sys:prefs/input -> keyboard types) or you expect AmigaOS keymap to behave like it does not.

WinUAE does not know or care about characters, it only sees key scan codes (=physical key locations)

Amiga keyboard is mostly same as PC keyboard, physical key locations are nearly identical. Only special case is one missing key left side of back space which is in recent WinUAE versions mapped to F11.
Old 30 October 2023, 10:55   #6
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRBIT View Post
The problem is usually AsmOne and using special characters that are nowhere to be found (or very cleverly hidden).
AsmOne uses nothing special, apart from using menu shortcuts instead of key combinations for Jump to Mark 0-9. This was fixed in AsmTwo.

Your keyboard should display all characters that you need in assembly, if what you get doesn't match it's a problem with uninitialized or wrong keymap.

This could be the case if you boot straight to CLI, then start a program. On 2.0 and up, it's recommended to boot to WB to get your keymap with your ENV settings. But you can always set your keymap with SetMap from the 1.3 disk on all OS versions.

Sorry for generic answer, as usual it always helps with a specific error:
1. What did you do
2. What did you get
3. What did you expect instead