English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 13 December 2021, 23:34   #81
roondar

Oh, by the way - just one detail I did want to add because my last few posts might have given the wrong idea: make no mistake, I actually really like the SNES and it's games
Old 14 December 2021, 13:19   #82
Photon

I answer the question as stated in original post. This helps keep the topic on topic.
Old 14 December 2021, 13:59   #83
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Yeah, that post of mine was a mistake. Sorry. Anyway, I'm not going to edit it now - that would be rather silly. Instead, I'll just leave the thread and not add more mistakes. Two in one day was enough.
I dont know what that was really all about, but this was the most honest and funniest stuff i had read today. Congrats

Besides, i have major respect for any man - or woman - that stands up for his - or her - "mistakes"

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Yeah man... this is so true.
Today's games (I mean AAA games, not indie), looks similar like egg to egg.
The reason i play almost only older titles, or "indie" games.
Those so called "AAA" games are mostly so freaking boring

There are a few exceptions, like the "SOULS-BORNE" games that i really enjoyed

But back on topic
I think we have concluded that every plattform had its own strength and weaknesses.
The Snes was and is still awesome, but this is also true for the Amiga and Mega-Drive. (and others too)

Can i just say here; i love them all

AMIGA
[ Show youtube player ]

Mega-Drive

[ Show youtube player ]

SNES

[ Show youtube player ]

Have fun with them, thats the only thing that really matters

Yours, Torti

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 14 December 2021 at 19:36. Reason: adding a fews smileys :)
Old 14 December 2021, 14:48   #84
frikilokooo

The Snes had less resolution 256x224 than Amiga 320×256, for this reason I usually prefer Megadrive before Snes when a game was in both systems. Better if you can see more game area when it comes to playing.

The Snes not was very flexible with its sprite formats although theoretically Snes moves more sprites than megadrive in the practice it is the opposite, beat em ups are the proof. Regarding the Amiga, I think Snes handled more sprites than the Amiga, not sure though.

Moving polygons was pretty slow the Snes against the Amiga, however certain Snes games have customs chips improving that.

Lotus 1 is pretty smooth compared with Top Gear, not smooth and good driving games with scaling in Snes except Mode7 ones and they are not fun.
Old 14 December 2021, 23:58   #85
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Lionheart is a brilliant game in it's own right it doesn't matter if a console has this or that.

For a console style game check out
ACSYS
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 December 2021, 00:29   #86
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Whilst generally the hardware is better in the SNES, some are forgetting key points as to why games might generally look better overall.

It's quite simple, whether it be Megadrive or SNES, developers are going to spend more effort on those machines for the simple reason that cartridge production is magnitudes more expensive than floppy disk duplication was for Amiga, its part of the reason the Amiga still got consideration, because it didn't need to sell as many copies as its console counterparts, because it was a much cheaper format to release on.

The Amiga proved quite conclusively that it was perfectly capable of high quality games of all genres, some comparable to its console counterparts, others not because of varying reasons.

Considering the OCS chipset was quite a good deal older than competing consoles, whilst we can accept that the sprite hardware of the Megadrive and SNES was better, in decent hands, the Amiga could do wonders with the limited sprites it had, and on paper the SNES sound hardware was better, but frequently, the older Amiga was able to compete and exceed because of its design, and the penalty of trying to produce the same results on SNES made it too expensive for cartridge production.

There is no doubt that the SNES could have reproduced something like Cannon Fodder music as good as the Amiga, but the storage requirements meant it was an expense too much.

We can't ignore those aspects when they were actual commercial concerns enough to not include them.

Say what you like about Xenon 2 on the Amiga and its subsequent conversion to other formats, but I remember quite clearly pretty much every single Megadrive review slagging the game off because it didn't remotely equal or try to give the same audio experience as the Amiga did.

And then there was all the other game styles not possible on SNES, again, due to cartridge considerations, and the extra hardware put into cartridges to try and deliver a better experience over a standard SNES.

SNES was a great machine, in lots of ways better than the Amiga, but in lots of other areas, it was lacking, and because the SNES wasn't a killer machine, is why other machines like Amiga and Megadrive were able to flourish in their own right.
Old 15 December 2021, 01:00   #87
Pyromania

When Blackfag comes out it will wipe the floor with most SNES games.
Old 15 December 2021, 01:29   #88
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Blackfag

wat? I mean I picture a game... but... hmm.
Old 15 December 2021, 17:10   #89
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Lionheart is a brilliant game in it's own right it doesn't matter if a console has this or that.

Yes, Lionheart is the greates Amiga Game imho. ( finished it yesterday. again . . . ) *

But Games do matter. They are the Reason we buy a certain Console/Plattform in the first place

Sonic, Streets or Rage, Shinobi > more Action = Mega Drive
Mario, Metroid, Zelda > way more RPG´s = SNES

At least; games did matter for me; as i saw Sonic for the first time , i knew, i had to get one of those Mega-Drives.

This little blue blur... Sanic i love(d) the MD; especially the Amiga and played Snes at a friends house. This where great times

Sometimes; just sometimes; i wish i have a Delorian to go back in Time,
Not that today is not.. well.. aehm.. great; but you know.

Just, sometimes

But then on the other Hand; i still be old AND if i would meet myself in the Past..........well ....... GREAT SCOTT !!! ......
Maybe not so a good idea...

Well then,... enjoy the present

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 15 December 2021 at 17:51. Reason: * Only on Normal ; It has different difficulty Levels, with actual different Levels. Man, Lionheart is just the best ! :)
Old 18 December 2021, 12:14   #90
d4rk3lf

Can SNES (without a hassle), run game like The Settlers?
What about Genesis?
Old 18 December 2021, 14:41   #91
freehand

To answers c0dehunter, yes the snes was a very capable platform for playing games that is why nearly 50 million owned one.
Old 18 December 2021, 19:14   #92
donnie

Amiga did not even sell 10m. It was only mainstream in germany, uk and scandinavia. Snes america and japan and parts of europe. Amiga was rampart with piracy and there where simply to many games released, sort of like modern mobile games.

A high end amiga games maybe sold a 100k. an high end snes game 1m.

Western games development in general was in its infancy.

Japan on the other hand had a proper industry. Thanks to the arcade industry which was an mature industry.

An major release on snes had 30 people working on it where as on amiga 4-5.

I think games like lionheart and turrican 2 hold up to snes and megadrive games, both in gamplay, graphics and sound.
Old 18 December 2021, 21:49   #93
nobody

The SNES was more capable at moving things, had more colors, a bit better sound. Games were better developed by big teams 20-30 persons working versus 2-3 on the Amiga.
The Amiga on the other hand had more "computer games" like Eye of the beholder, had cheaper games and it still had copper
If you ask me now, I wouldn't want to miss games like Civilization, Beholder, Monkey island etc to play Mario. But if I had both then hey, no problem.