English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 04 March 2021, 23:37   #4141
hitm4n

How does this version of WC compare to the PC original, or WC2 ? Is it a direct port with updated graphics, or is the game really quite different?
Old 04 March 2021, 23:51   #4142
twitek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n View Post
How does this version of WC compare to the PC original, or WC2 ? Is it a direct port with updated graphics, or is the game really quite different?

From https://www.mobygames.com/game/super-wing-commander:
Quote:
Super Wing Commander is a remake of the first Wing Commander with new graphics and sound.

As in the original game, the player takes control of a young pilot on the carrier TCS Tiger's Claw to fly missions in the war against the Kilrathi.

The game includes the Vega campaign from the original game and the first Secret Missions add-on campaign. Secret Missions 2 is replaced with a new campaign in which the Tiger's Claw must find and destroy the base where the Sivar dreadnought from Secret Missions 1 was developed.

The look of the original game has been completely redesigned, with ships and people looking completely different from the original. All dialogue is now heard through digitized speech.
Old 05 March 2021, 00:15   #4143
twitek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Heroes of Might and Magic II - The Succession Wars [RTG] [ShapeShifter]

I unpack HoMM2 from the Updatepack #47-2. When i start the game, i see this error. Notice the missing CDROM icon.

When i start the game the first time with the CDROM, the .hdf file changes. Next time i boot it, there is a long delay at the startup, but the game starts without problem.

Edit: instead of two pictures, there a lot of Base64 encoded stuff in this post like below. I attached the pictures.

(IMG)http://http.//eab.abime.net/data:ima...AEXwIkQAKOgDR0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-05 00_08_38-Window.png
Views:	90
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	71153   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-05 00_09_51-Window.png
Views:	88
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	71154  
Old 05 March 2021, 00:16   #4144
hitm4n

Thanks. Looks decent. And it seems theres a 3DO version as well. I think i will look into adding a 3DO section in my BigBox install and adding this game there instead. I like to keep the Amiga collection to Amiga games so i got rid of all the Mac ones. Cheers.
Old 05 March 2021, 01:30   #4145
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitek View Post
I unpack HoMM2 from the Updatepack #47-2. When i start the game, i see this error. Notice the missing CDROM icon.
I can reproduce the first screenshot, but only if I tick "Jit", but it's not set in the configuration file I provided.

Quote:
When i start the game the first time with the CDROM, the .hdf file changes. Next time i boot it, there is a long delay at the startup, but the game starts without problem.
I haven't experienced that; and I've played this game many times.

Try re-extracting from the Update Pack again.
Old 05 March 2021, 01:35   #4146
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. Looks decent. And it seems theres a 3DO version as well. I think i will look into adding a 3DO section in my BigBox install and adding this game there instead. I like to keep the Amiga collection to Amiga games so i got rid of all the Mac ones. Cheers.
Does that mean you delete any of the ports that I include my collection e.g. ScummVM games, Heart of Darkness, Heart of the Alien etc?

Last edited by DamienD; 05 March 2021 at 01:55.
Old 05 March 2021, 02:00   #4147
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
May i suggest to reduce the speed to -50%? The game is running much too fast on my PC.
You're saying Super Wing Commander runs too fast?
Old 05 March 2021, 09:33   #4148
twitek

Quote:
I can reproduce the first screenshot, but only if I tick "Jit", but it's not set in the configuration file I provided.

I unpacked your original config, which was unchanged on my PC.
I disabled my hardware and host config. Jit is definively disabled.

Every time i start HOMM2, it shows the ANIM folder is missing.
Maybe my PC is too slow to mount the CD fast enough?
i5-6600K overclocked from 3.5 to 4.5GHz.

Quote:
I haven't experienced that; and I've played this game many times. Try re-extracting from the Update Pack again.
I think I found the culprit, but i cannot reproduce it consistently. When I start the game, then shutdown MacOS/Shapeshifter, i always get the error message from the attached screenshot: "Shapeshifter failed. Suspend/Reboot".
When I press "Suspend" (quickly?), the next time i start HOMM2 the startup is delayed, but no more ANIM folder error message is shown.

The wonderous world of emulation...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-05 08_51_06-Window.png
Views:	96
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	71160  
Old 05 March 2021, 09:34   #4149
twitek

Quote:
You're saying Super Wing Commander runs too fast?

On my PC - yes, definitively.
Old 05 March 2021, 09:36   #4150
twitek

Quote:
Does that mean you delete any of the ports that I include my collection e.g. ScummVM games, Heart of Darkness, Heart of the Alien etc?

He did? Heretic!
Old 05 March 2021, 11:21   #4151
hitm4n

Quote:
Yep. All the games marked "MAC RTG" or "ShapeShifter" and all the "ScummVM" ported games are removed. Heart of Darkness is not in my collection either and Gabriel Knight II is gone as well. Heart of the Alien though, that says AGA on it so assumed that was an Amiga game and i kept it, it's a curio for me too as i've never seen it, so i need to check it out.

I've kept native Amiga RTG games and the native P&C games like Secret Of Monkey Island etc. For me this collection should be Amiga only. Some games were marked as ports but are still Amiga games like Heroes of Might and Magic II - The Succession Wars [AGA] [Macintosh conversion]. I've kept games like that as its essentially now an Amiga game, a true port. If i'm wrong and this is being emulated, then i would remove it.

I don't feel the need to muddy the Amiga collection with Dos/Mac emulated games. I have a dedicated emulation PC now and it hosts many many systems, including ExoDosV5 so i like to keep systems seperated. All the ScummVM stuff at least is in the Dos collection, so it's just doubling up. I mean, in the same way you are adding an emulated Mac, or the ScummVM emulators to the Amiga, you could keep going and add a C64 or Spectrum emulator and start adding all those games too (please don't)

Its your collection, i aint complaining, i'm just tailoring it for my setup. Upon checking, my folder has 3189 games in it now, so not many had to go. 60 or so? Oh i deleted a few game demos where a full game existed too, like Alien Breed or Monkey Island. I'm just not interested in those.

I'm working on an unofficial addon pack of my own next. Currently i'm preparing lists of what i wish to have included (including what i've requested from you recently and what some others have requested but you've either missed them, or chosen not to include them over the years). The requests of others are inspiration for more to add, so i shall be checking HOL and Lemon, to see what they are about and if i like the look of them there i shall give them a play and decide. This will take some time, but the addon could be quite a number of games. I shall await your next pack or two so we aren't doubling our efforts, and i will probably provide you a list first in case i missed some from your set or they have alternative titles. Then i'll start adding these games in myself. List is 66 games long so far but i don't even know a lot of these titles so there might be a load of rubbish in there

Last edited by hitm4n; 05 March 2021 at 11:59. Reason: added some notes and formatting
Old 05 March 2021, 12:50   #4152
DamienD
Banned

As I've said before, do what you want with your copy of my collection.

Quote:
I don't feel the need to muddy the Amiga collection with Dos/Mac emulated games. I have a dedicated emulation PC now and it hosts many many systems, including ExoDosV5 so i like to keep systems seperated. All the ScummVM stuff at least is in the Dos collection, so it's just doubling up. I mean, in the same way you are adding an emulated Mac, or the ScummVM emulators to the Amiga, you could keep going and add a C64 or Spectrum emulator and start adding all those games too (please don't)
Good for you; I don't bother emulating DOS games and these can be a pain to setup on modern systems i.e. run too fast, black screens etc...

I'm not interested in C64 or Spectrum games...

For me, adding in some of these DOS / Windows ports and MAC games via Shapeshifter is a good thing and they run very well so I'm happy.
Old 05 March 2021, 13:00   #4153
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I unpacked your original config, which was unchanged on my PC.
I disabled my hardware and host config. Jit is definively disabled.

Every time i start HOMM2, it shows the ANIM folder is missing.
Maybe my PC is too slow to mount the CD fast enough?
i5-6600K overclocked from 3.5 to 4.5GHz.
Hmmm, I don't think your computer is too slow. I'm using an Acer Aspire 5951G that I purchased in December 2011.

Quote:
I think I found the culprit, but i cannot reproduce it consistently. When I start the game, then shutdown MacOS/Shapeshifter, i always get the error message from the attached screenshot: "Shapeshifter failed. Suspend/Reboot".
When I press "Suspend" (quickly?), the next time i start HOMM2 the startup is delayed, but no more ANIM folder error message is shown.

The wonderous world of emulation...
Yes I've seen that error when you restart / shutdown the Mac.

When you finish playing a Mac game, always just quit emulation using <Ctrl> + <F11>, and don't "Restart" or "Shutdown" as I've seen this cause issues for some reason and corrupt the .HDF.
Old 05 March 2021, 13:13   #4154
philgood1351fr

I confirm Super Wing Commander runs too fast on emulation. mounted the track on a real MAC and it's more playable. About 30% slower. Maybe a problem with the MAC Emu.
Old 05 March 2021, 13:50   #4155
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgood1351fr View Post
I confirm Super Wing Commander runs too fast on emulation. mounted the track on a real MAC and it's more playable. About 30% slower. Maybe a problem with the MAC Emu.
Ok

Well I can get rid of "Fastest possible", but it may then run way too slow...

So I could turn off "Fastest possible" and then set the "CPU Speed" to say "100%", "200%" or "300%". Just need to find the optimal setting

If you guys could play around too and let me know what works best for you, it would be much appreciated
Old 05 March 2021, 14:20   #4156
DamienD
Banned

Re: Super Wing Commander running too fast...

So I've turn off "Fastest possible" and then set the "CPU Speed" to either "100%" or "150%".

It seems good now

...but I don't really know this game, so can I ask one of you guys who reported the issue to try say "100%", "150%" and "200%" and let me know what seems most accurate?
Old 05 March 2021, 14:27   #4157
philgood1351fr

With a cpu_throttle=4000.0, it's closer to Real hardware.
My config file attached.

+
Attached Files
File Type: uae Super Wing Commander [RTG] [ShapeShifter].uae (20.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 05 March 2021, 14:50   #4158
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgood1351fr View Post
With a cpu_throttle=4000.0, it's closer to Real hardware.
My config file attached.

+
CPU Speed = 400+ hey?

Ok, I will wait for twitek to test and give his optimal CPU Speed setting also... hopefully they match.

Cheers
Old 05 March 2021, 15:40   #4159
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I'm working on an unofficial addon pack of my own next. Currently i'm preparing lists of what i wish to have included (including what i've requested from you recently and what some others have requested but you've either missed them, or chosen not to include them over the years). The requests of others are inspiration for more to add, so i shall be checking HOL and Lemon, to see what they are about and if i like the look of them there i shall give them a play and decide. This will take some time, but the addon could be quite a number of games. I shall await your next pack or two so we aren't doubling our efforts, and i will probably provide you a list first in case i missed some from your set or they have alternative titles. Then i'll start adding these games in myself. List is 66 games long so far but i don't even know a lot of these titles so there might be a load of rubbish in there
If you are going to do some "unoffical Update Packs" then please use this thread: "Unofficial" Update Packs - DamienD's WinUAE Collection
Old 05 March 2021, 16:01   #4160
twitek

Quote:
CPU Speed = 400+ hey?

150% feels very sluggish. Makes you wish you bought a faster Mac.

400% is like having 60fps / driving a Porsche. Can't complain about that.

300% is totally fine to play.

I played it at fastest possible -50% before, but that's CPU dependent and cycle-exact isn't, right?