English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 02 August 2020, 10:30   #3481
AMIGASYSTEM

Hi PeterK, let me ask you a silly question, just for the curiosity.
The miniature icons shown by AsimCDF on Kodak CDs are currently generated or physically exist on file.

They seem to be real because you can copy the icons, even if as icons they are in a particular format, I enclose a video of mine that shows the icons shown by AsimCDFS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jRu...cr6sj5QJv/view
Old 02 August 2020, 12:21   #3482
thomas

They are generated by AsimCDFS. You can change their size and quality in Asim's prefs program.
Old 02 August 2020, 12:46   #3483
AMIGASYSTEM

Thanks thomas
Old 02 August 2020, 12:54   #3484
PeterK

Thank you Thomas for answering to that question, because I don't have any CD drive, PhotoCD or ISO file, nor do I use AsimCDFS. All I have is a Parrots.pcd file as shown on that Kodak CD, which I sometimes use for testing datatypes.

Quote:
... even if as icons they are in a particular format ...
Interesting, please upload one of these icons. I'm always happy to discover new icon formats for the Amiga ...
Old 02 August 2020, 14:05   #3485
thomas

archive.org has it all:

Asim: https://archive.org/download/Commodo...pplicationsADF
PhotoCD: https://archive.org/details/KodakPhotoCDSampler

The icons are not specific. They are standard WB 3.1 icons. Asim automatically uses the screen's depth to generate the images if you don't override it in the prefs.
Old 02 August 2020, 15:23   #3486
PeterK

Thanks, I've downloaded both and will try it out a little later. Maybe the Kodak CD needs to be converted from Cue/Bin to ISO first ...

No, to be honest, I didn't expect to find out that my icon.library would support a new format, something I don't know yet, but some programs like PhotoFolio are able to generate their own thumbnail images of pictures which are looking and handled very similar to icons.
Old 02 August 2020, 18:22   #3487
AMIGASYSTEM

PeterK No need to convert Cue/Bin to ISO, on WinUAE just add the .BIN file, AsimCDFS also supports MAC HFS and Audio CDs.

Anyway here you will find a Kodak Photo CD in ISO format

https://archive.org/details/kodakphotocdsoftware1992

I understood that the thumbnails were created by AsimCFS, the thing that intrigued me is that it does it quickly (instantaneous) even though there are so many images on the CD.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 22 October 2020 at 12:35.
Old 02 August 2020, 22:31   #3488
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
the thing that intrigued me is that it does it quickly (instantaneous)
No, it doesn't. Change screen mode to AGA with 256 colors and change Asim prefs from Quick to Quality, then you'll see that it loads really slowly.

It's just WinUAE being so fast that it apears like instantly.

Note that although AsimCDFS shows separate directories for different sizes, there is only one single .pcd file for each picture on the CD which contains all sizes. Thumbnails in all directories probably are made from the smallest size. Or maybe the thumbnails are even contained in the picture file and only need to be remapped to the Workbench palette. I don't know the features of the .pcd file format.
Old 03 August 2020, 00:07   #3489
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes on an RTG Screen is much faster, but "Eastern" for example on RTG shows much more slowly as on AGA Screen

The icons shown by AsimCDFS are the same for all thumbnails regardless of the image format

Some info Photo CD:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_CD

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 August 2020 at 01:23.
Old 03 August 2020, 12:10   #3490
PeterK

The AsimCDFS thumbnail icons have only one image, not even a darker second image, all of them are using the same pens and colors, no color mapping or optimization and it seems not even a pen allocation occurs, and these icons are buffered for each CD in AsimCDFS_Buffer: in a separate subdirectory. After once being stored in the buffer they can be reloaded instantly. Delete the buffer subdir and you can see that creating the thumbnail icons takes longer. The thumbnail icons are just linked from the buffer into the drawers with the different sized PCD files.

The method how these images are created is very buggy and the result looks like crap. Sometimes they are losing some of their colors, because they probably never allocated or locked the pens that they use. And there is no guaranty that those pens will still have the same colors when these buffered icons are loaded again.

If you don't use AsimCDFS but WinUAE and Eastern the result looks much better, but it may take a little longer.

Last edited by PeterK; 03 August 2020 at 12:34.
Old 03 August 2020, 12:28   #3491
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter I'm not if it's a fiction but I see two faces of the icons from Dopus4, one in "Negative", see video

On the system in the "SYS:AsimCDFS_Buffer" folder there are no image icons but only old drawer icons that I don't use because my AsimCDFS uses those in "SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/AsimCDFS".

http://eab.abime.net/zone/TestKodaIcon.zip
Old 03 August 2020, 12:44   #3492
PeterK

"Negative" needs no second image, it can be done by the blitter, but it looks ugly for more than 4 colors. AsimCDFS uses only one image to gain speed.

No, I'm not talking about deficons! Look into "AsimCDFS_Buffer:PhotoCDIcon_Buffer" for some subdirs with the CD number, there are the thumbnail icons stored.

With Eastern or AsimCDFS:

Last edited by PeterK; 12 April 2022 at 12:47.
Old 03 August 2020, 21:42   #3493
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
""AsimCDFS_Buffer:PhotoCDIcon_Buffer" for some subdirs with the CD number, there are the thumbnail icons stored.
:
Yeah as you can see from the screenshot, I've got these axed paths.

Assign AsimCDFS: SYS:AsimCDFS
Assign AsimCDFS_Buffer: RAM:

In the path PhotoCDIcon_Buffer you have the icons with numerical names, see screnshot

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 August 2020 at 15:34.
Old 03 August 2020, 22:00   #3494
PeterK

Ok, you can also change the path for the icon buffer with the AsimCDFS prefs program or disable it there.

I've found a problem with using PNG deficons for the drawers of the PhotoCD which causes Enforcer hits and crashes. Maybe AsimCDFS expects a normal DiskObject structure as used by old icons, ColorIcons and OS4 icons. Don't use PNG deficons until I have found the reason for this issue, which did never occur on Workbench yet.
Old 04 August 2020, 11:09   #3495
AMIGASYSTEM

I also found a strange thing, er "PhotoCD_Drawer.info" I used a Kens Icons v4 is the icon you can't see well.

Then used a Kens Icons v4 that i had on my HD and this one you can see well.

I enclose the two icons and a screenshot showing the differences that shows AsimCDFS

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 07 October 2020 at 20:58.
Old 04 August 2020, 11:35   #3496
PeterK

Thanks for your patience, Carlo !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I've found a problem with using PNG deficons for the drawers of the PhotoCD which causes Enforcer hits and crashes. .... Don't use PNG deficons until I have found the reason for this issue, which did never occur on Workbench yet.
Unfortunately, I don't have much time today and tomorrow to look into this, so please wait some days ...

Update: It could be a problem with the links that AsimCDFS uses to add virtual icons to the PhotoCD, maybe unbuffered reads, accessing the CD filesystem directly are not supported correctly. I noticed that even DOpus4 crashes or throws Enforcer hits when you open CD0: and try to copy the icons to RAM: (icon.library is not involved), but the same works with the Copy command from a shell window. This needs more investigations ...

Last edited by PeterK; 05 August 2020 at 15:08.
Old 06 August 2020, 08:47   #3497
AMIGASYSTEM

Me with Dopus4 I have no problem copying the icons in RAM, no crashes, see video

http://eab.abime.net/zone/TestIconsKodak.zip

I have problems viewing thumbnails with PCD files, which version of datatypes.library, pcd.datatypes and render.library do you use?

When I open the window with .PCD files if I use datatypes.library v44.47/44.48 (2010) the system crashes

If instead I use datatypes.library v45.3 (1997) I don't have any block but I don't have the thumbnails anyway

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 August 2020 at 08:53.
Old 06 August 2020, 11:09   #3498
PeterK

You are copying the thumbnail icons from the CD to Ram:, which I didn't try yet. I've copied the drawer icons from the root dir (those with the image size as name) and that freezes or crashes DOpus4.

My current datatypes.library is 46.3 (OS 3.1.4), don't use 45.x because it's not 100% compatible. Use 44.47 or 44.48 of OS 3.9 or 46.3.

My render.library is 31.0 (68020) which is still optimized assembler unlike 40.8. My pcd.datatype is 43.14.

And don't forget, I'm always using a 68020 system, not 040/060.
Old 06 August 2020, 12:38   #3499
AMIGASYSTEM

Please note that the crash caused by the "PCD" images was a problem with the "Kodak_PhotoCDSoftware_1992 (.ISO) CD, no crash with the "KodakPhotoCDSampler (.BIN)" CD.

With datatypes.library v46.3 OS 3.1.4 no thumbnail for PCD images as with datatypes.library v44.47 / v44.48

I have pcd.datatypes v44.3, tried with render.library v30, v32 and 40.8, no thumbnails for "PCD" images, I have no render.library v31.

Only with datatypes.library v45.3 strangely enough I have no crash with "Kodak_PhotoCDSoftware_1992 (.ISO)" and everything works fine except thumbnails "PCD".

If I understand correctly I have no crash in copying the icons with image size name, you can see it in the attached video, you can also see the crash of the CD "Kodak_PhotoCDSoftware_1992 (.ISO)

http://eab.abime.net/zone/TestIconKodak2.zip
Old 08 August 2020, 20:25   #3500
PeterK

Some of the crashes, freezes or Enforcer hits did only happen with AsimCDFS 3.9, which already has a comment about "digital corruption" in the name of its zip file.

AsimCDFS 3.10 from the EAB file server seems to work a bit better, but I still have problems with OS4 and PNG icons, so please wait for a fix or a workaround.

Look for "AsimCDFS" at http://grandis.nu/eabsearch