English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 09 June 2020, 10:36   #41
thyslo

Hi meynaf,
thanks for this viewer! I've tested it and it surely will be set up as the default viewer for my A1200 with Blizzard 1230 IV.

Some posts above you were open for new features to add. So I've got two ideas:

1) Would it be possible to support the HighGFX monitor driver? So, if the picture is bigger than PAL the HighGFX monitor (if available) could be choosen for display.

2) More out of curiosity: would it be possible to display a 4000x3000 jpg file on an AGA Amiga? But this would probably need to load the picture in FastRAM first (36 MB or 4,5MB?..can't figure it out), then downscale to 'Chip RAM' / display mode size and then display it. Would probably take ages on a 68030, 'though..

Last edited by thyslo; 09 June 2020 at 11:42.
Old 09 June 2020, 12:08   #42
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyslo View Post
1) Would it be possible to support the HighGFX monitor driver? So, if the picture is bigger than PAL the HighGFX monitor (if available) could be choosen for display.
I don't think it would be nice to have code targeted at a specific monitor driver. But it would be cool to have general purpose code choosing the best available option depending on image parameters, be it PAL, HighGFX, or even RTG. Unfortunately i don't know how to do this - my tests with graphics.library/BestModeIDA failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyslo View Post
2) More out of curiosity: would it be possible to display a 4000x3000 jpg file on an AGA Amiga? But this would probably need to load the picture in FastRAM first (36 MB or 4,5MB?..can't figure it out), then downscale to 'Chip RAM' / display mode size and then display it. Would probably take ages on a 68030, 'though..
This is what the SCALE option is for. Normally the picture does not need to be fully loaded in memory.
But you would be better off by downscaling it with some pc software instead of willing to show it directly (not only in regard to speed but also for quality).
Old 09 June 2020, 12:19   #43
Seiya

The fastest i think is ViewT that you find also in many Almathera Cd-rom that run on old 1.3 system to view images

edit:
oops. as usual, i fast read the topic name and of course i wrong answer
Old 09 June 2020, 13:59   #44
thyslo

@meynaf Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, BestModeID() was the one I was really wanting to ask for, but got overshadowed by HighGFX being in my mind. Too bad that your tests with it didn't succeed. But nevertheless, your viewer is great as it is:-)
Old 09 June 2020, 14:13   #45
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
The fastest i think is ViewT that you find also in many Almathera Cd-rom that run on old 1.3 system to view images

edit:
oops. as usual, i fast read the topic name and of course i wrong answer
if you were talking about ViewTek is very slow, perhaps the slowest image viewer
Old 09 June 2020, 14:37   #46
Misclegend
Banned

btw,

the Amiga sucks to view JPG files
even the 040 and 060 are slow to uncompress jpg images
not to mention to view those big JPG / BMP/TIFF files which are very large in size which always say there are not enough memory/ the viewer crash etc

only ILBM images and GIF images are shown fast in the Amiga
Old 09 June 2020, 14:51   #47
nikosidis

First of all you don't bring 8 Megapixel picture to your PAL Amiga. Just scale the picture from Linux or whatever and save to PNG. Problem solved. Jpeg sucks.
Old 09 June 2020, 17:00   #48
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Unfortunately i don't know how to do this - my tests with graphics.library/BestModeIDA failed.
Maybe this can help: http://aminet.net/search?query=bestmode
I'm not sure but I guess Visage use BestModeID() for its BESTMODE option. PicShow has a bestmode function too. So Thomas could give you example code.
Old 09 June 2020, 17:09   #49
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Maybe this can help: http://aminet.net/search?query=bestmode
I'm not sure but I guess Visage use BestModeID() for its BESTMODE option. PicShow has a bestmode function too. So Thomas could give you example code.
The problem isn't using the function, it is that it doesn't always return the best mode...