English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 October 2018, 20:49   #21
Mikerochip

Not specifically for the Amiga, but I use a Logitech z5500 set.
The Amiga sounds great on them!
Even though the A1200 is only stereo.

And also a pair of Altec Lansing Gateway 2000 speakers, whenever I remember I have them.

Old 07 October 2018, 23:59   #22
Nobby_UK

At home = Mains Powered Genius SP-G06

Otherwise = Couple of Rechargeable Kocaso BlueTooth Speakers.
Old 08 October 2018, 00:32   #23
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Back in the day, used the Monitor integrated speaker. Later plugged the Amiga to subwoofer speakers and later to a Sony system (can't remember the model).
Once I had the opportunity and plugged the Amiga to a Cabasse Hi-Fi system for a plain afternoon. Even if it was a short experience, I will never forget it. Was so goooood ! Much better than my Sony .

Last edited by malko; 24 July 2019 at 13:50. Reason: changed BiT -> BitD
Old 08 October 2018, 11:44   #24
demolition
Unregistered User

I use the same speakers as I use for my PC and all other computers at my work desk - a pair of Dynaudio Excite X18 speakers:
https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/excite/x18

They just deliver great sound without any spacy design features or flashing blue/RGB LEDs.

Edit: And in my opinion they deliver much crisper bass performance than any subwoofer system can. A subwoofer based system almost always have issues at the cross over point between the sub and the satellites. Also since the sub radiates sound from a single point, the bass level will change a lot when you move around in the room which is less of an issue when you have two sources like in a stereo setup.

It can be argued that some of the sound may have been designed with crap speakers in mind, but since there were hundreds of different monitors, TVs and speaker systems in use back then, it would be impossible to point to something specific and say 'this is the reference system that this music was produced for'. Personally I think that C64 and Amiga sounds better on proper speakers. It may not be period correct, but that is not what I am going for.

Some graphics were also designed with RF modulators and bad TVs in mind and can look quite different when you look at it on a good monitor with an RGB connection. I still generally prefer the RGB connection even if it may be less correct.

Last edited by demolition; 08 October 2018 at 11:58.
Old 09 October 2018, 08:42   #25
fatboy

Having connected my A1200 to an old Lifetec 21" CRT TV it produced decent stereo sound. Although the picture is generally pretty good some 'warping' is noticeable each side of the speakers (insufficient magnetic shielding, I guess?). A second option is my 14" Sony Trinitron CRT TV. The picture is great BUT it only has a mono speaker (though still sounds better than my 'modern' 19" Sony Flat screen TV's 'tinny' stereo speakers!). My third option is rigging it up to my Technics SU-V600 Amp and Technics SB-EX3 floor standing speakers...... then it's 'BOOM, BOOM, SHAKE THE ROOM!'...... total overkill but sounds great
Old 09 October 2018, 12:18   #26
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
You have tested them all ?
Some stuff will sound amazing. Some other will sound crap.
TVs and monitors always have built-in speakers as an afterthought. Definitely don't use crappy speakers because some games have crappy sound.

But that doesn't mean you have to get expensive speakers. Stereos ("receivers") from early/mid 1990s have fine components and decent speakers, and can be had in thrift shops for virtually no money at all. My best one is a Philips 80W with big speakers.

And a PC 2.1 system is pretty OK too, as long as the speakers aren't plastic. The speakers are usually quite small though, which means any subwoofer will take over; there won't be much oomph in the rest of the frequencies. I have one such for the living room Amiga, and it's pretty good, but not the best.

And a very few "mobile party speakers" with AUX are OK. I have a really good one for demoparties, but even though it's stereo, it's mono because it's so small. And even though it's loud, frequency response varies with volume. It's my third best.

So basically just get something you'd consider playing CDs on, and you're in the right ballpark and will get good sound without breaking the bank.

A speaker on either side of the monitor with a few inches of air is perfect stereo separation. Not too much, not too little.
Old 13 November 2019, 23:56   #27
aeberbach

These are fantastic (Apple M6082 powered speakers, from about the same time period as the A1200):

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...red-1852436519

BUT most of them have the speaker surround foam entirely crumbled away by now. If you find some and they don't sound as they should have them repaired or replace the drives with car speakers.
Old 14 November 2019, 07:58   #28
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Used to plug my amiga to an europhon double decker ghetto blaster, was having the right jack for direct stereo output, then i did use the Kenwood hi-fi pre-amplifier of my brother and a semi-pro mixer good times
Old 14 November 2019, 13:39   #29
Tyball

Great thread! I use an KEF eggs through a subwoofer powered by a 90s technics amplifier from my dad. Adds to that nostalgic feeling. Operating the amplifier does.
Recently I picked up a sharp wq-t232 cassette recorder. The same one I used to have as a kid. It has aux in. And while it doesn't sound great. It certainly is fun using it and listening to it.
Old 14 November 2019, 13:49   #30
chip

I use a Logitech 2.1 system

Anyway it's not attached to real Amiga, but to a PC

Emulation world here, sorry

Anyway speakers are really good for my ears
Old 14 November 2019, 16:30   #31
th4t1guy

Right now I just have a mix of leftovers hooked up to my cd32.

The satellite speakers from this (this thing was horrible....sats were the only good thing going for it):
https://www.klipsch.com/products/pro...speaker-system

hooked up to a LP-2020A tripath amp powered with an adapter from a lcd monitor.

There's not really much bass, but for the most part it sounds ok.
Old 14 November 2019, 16:57   #32
Bren McGuire

Good old speakers inside my 1084S!
Old 14 November 2019, 17:57   #33
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Sharp MD-X5 system

Old 14 November 2019, 18:12   #34
chip

Nice Lord Aga

Out of curiosity, it is able to play .WAV files ?

To be honest i don't know if such kind of format is supported by any stereo
Old 14 November 2019, 18:36   #35
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

It is, if you play them through Amiga

Joking aside, I have never tried playing wav files directly on my Sharp, so I don't know.
A quick look through my manual yields no mention of wav files. I'm afraid I'm not much of a help here.
Old 14 November 2019, 18:48   #36
chip

Thanks Lord Aga
Old 14 November 2019, 19:16   #37
Wachi

Smile

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 November 2019, 20:02   #38
Juz400

I hooked my A500 up to my little JVC music system the moment I set it up after purchasing it back in 1988
I was supposed to be on a 1 hour lunch break from work, I crept back into work many demos and 2 hours later

These days, PC with ASUS Essence STX hooked up to a Vintage Yamaha DSP-E800 surround decoder.

The Main Left/Right are Something special,
3 way Active with 2x MiniDSP 2x4 and SIX HackerNap amplifiers (500VA transformer each, 100Watt/channel)
https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...kernap.124486/

Scanspeak D2095/9000 tweeters, Focal 7W4411 Midbass and Scanspeak 32W4878T00 Bass Drivers
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...bwoofer/#tab-1
https://www.audioxpress.com/article/...8t00-subwoofer

Centre is Focal Chorus CC800VW
https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foca...tion_sheet.pdf

Surrounds are Focal Cobalt 806S
http://www.audioreview.com/product/s...alt-806-s.html

Music be it a CD or an Amiga Module, Laserdiscs, Blurays or MKV files all sound Effin awesome!
I have a CD32 awaiting a recap and then that will be hooked up too.
Yep, Theres some nice Bass in lots of Amiga tunes, the Remix mp3 stuff too!

Have a play with this, at 16Hz you feel pressure acting on your whole body, think Chinook flying overhead
https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
Old 15 November 2019, 04:42   #39
amiwolf

Many moons ago, my A1000 pumping out the Brataccas theme through a Magnavox D8443 Boombox always annoyed the neighbours. Nowadays, my A600 rumbles along with a TDK Tremor S150 2(electrostatic).1(subwoofer) set, rescued from a council cleanup. The stuff some folks throw away!
Old 15 November 2019, 12:09   #40
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I use this :

https://www.sonovente.com/behringer-...ire-p4909.html