English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 11 October 2019, 18:12   #1
roondar

My (kind-of) absence of late

For those who are interested and in the spirit of openness (which usually helps me), I thought I'd write a quick note on why I've been mostly absent for the past few weeks.

The long and short of it is that I've been having a relapse of my depression and the symptoms that come along with it. Primarily anxiety related, but also the usual lack of interest in well, anything and a persistent and rather suffocating gloom. Luckily it's not as bad as it has been, but it's not been a picnic either.

I found that participating in certain types of thread makes matters worse (and I get way, way too involved in such threads), so I've tried to keep some more distance from the forum of late and with it, sadly, my Amiga hobby. It's actually really annoying as I have so many things Amiga related I'd like to actually create. Not just talk about, but actually make.
Old 11 October 2019, 18:50   #2
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Well, welcome back
Old 11 October 2019, 22:01   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Welcome back!
Old 17 October 2019, 18:10   #4
roondar

Thank you, I am indeed kind of back now. Though I'm doing my best not to touch any VS or "disappointed by <insert Amiga model>" thread any time soon. That A1200 thread nearly ended up making me quit EAB. And yes, that was predominantly my own fault for continuing to post ever larger and more time consuming posts/rants in it.
Old 17 October 2019, 18:15   #5
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Nice to see you feel better roondar
Old 17 October 2019, 18:37   #6
chip

In the spirit of openness, can i ask you the merit of your Amiga hobby ?

I mean, personally speaking, my hobby for Amiga stuff help me to keep away mental diseases

What about you roondar ..... it help you ?
Old 17 October 2019, 18:50   #7
Daedalus

This is unfortunately a problem common with many hobbies. The community aspect is usually a wonderful part of any activity, but there's always a less savoury element in any community, and online forums and social media make that element more accessible and more difficult to ignore. But it is possible to ignore those parts, and then hobbies become more like the pastime they're supposed to be - relaxing, fun and ultimately a positive and rewarding experience. Don't let the good of the hobby be tainted by the badness that, at the end of the day, isn't even a part of the hobby itself.
Old 17 October 2019, 21:13   #8
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
In the spirit of openness, can i ask you the merit of your Amiga hobby ?

I mean, personally speaking, my hobby for Amiga stuff help me to keep away mental diseases

What about you roondar ..... it help you ?
My Amiga hobby is mostly about two things: I enjoying the puzzle of making things work on an old and limited architecture. To me, programming is much more pure and rewarding when you can't hide behind 'effectively infinite' capabilities.

It helps that I'm fascinated by the Amiga chipset. The people who created clearly knew very well what they were doing, many things are implemented (for lack of a better word) elegantly. Often to the point of choosing for certain restrictions rather than upsetting balance (sprites, disk and audio DMA spring to mind here - all limited to happen inside of the horizontal blank so they can 'never' steal resources from the CPU).

The second part is nostalgia and enjoying old Amiga games, demos, software and using the system. Recently, I've also started to appreciate and enjoy the more modern releases more and more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
This is unfortunately a problem common with many hobbies. The community aspect is usually a wonderful part of any activity, but there's always a less savoury element in any community, and online forums and social media make that element more accessible and more difficult to ignore. But it is possible to ignore those parts, and then hobbies become more like the pastime they're supposed to be - relaxing, fun and ultimately a positive and rewarding experience. Don't let the good of the hobby be tainted by the badness that, at the end of the day, isn't even a part of the hobby itself.
Well, I wouldn't call the people in that thread unsavoury. Some of them ill-informed, sure.

But in general the VS discussions and the relatively high number of people that are consistently negative about the Amiga (and it's software) rather than seeing the positives are a constant let down. I come here to celebrate my hobby and enjoyment of the system and instead find a significant part of the community seemingly loving to bash the system, it's games and everything around it. Usually holding the Amiga and its games to a far stricter and rather nebulous standard than they ever seem to hold the systems and games they compare it to.

So, I've decided to try and ignore that stuff as much as possible and focus on what I do like here - the programming forum sections and the more positive or informative threads.
Old 18 October 2019, 10:50   #9
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Good on you and welcome back.

Not on the same level but I used to get wound up on car club forums and sometimes facebook.

It would be to the point I would be thinking about a comment, and my response, or their response, while away from the keyboard, or even when trying to get to sleep.

Like you, I had to step away at times.

I had to tell myself

1) It really doesn't matter
2) I dont even really know these people

And lastly, I discovered the block feature on such forums. It's not a nice step to have to take, but if you find yourself clashing with a particular user, just block them.

Life is too short.

Good luck

EDIT: Sorry forgot one point...
3) I realised that it's ok tobe wrong. It's ok for the other person to be wrong, but it's also ok for ME to be wrong, as that is the realisation that I have now learned something new. But when it comes to "opinion", there often is no right OR wrong. Goes back to point 1. "It doesn't matter".

Last edited by 005AGIMA; 18 October 2019 at 10:56.
Old 02 November 2019, 13:47   #10
roondar

You make some excellent points there, I agree with all of them.

On a side-note: my life on the forum has improved immeasurably since I've started to mostly ignore the VS threads and all of the "let's talk about how the Amiga sucks" posts and threads