English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 September 2019, 00:12   #21
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Back then coming from ZX Spectrum and C64 it was the best home port for a while until Super Famicom release and later SNES official release in Europe then quite alot later Mega CD version.
Those sequels though on the Snes, they were soo letterboxed squashed, huge top and bottom borders, what was all that about?!
I played the 2nd and 3rd games, they just didn't feel like Final Fight, it was if they were coughed up just to try and sell more Snes consoles.

And as for the C64 version,...GOOD GOD!!! :-(
Old 20 September 2019, 00:20   #22
Retro1234
Phone Homer

The sequels never captured the original but Sega had Streets of Rage so I was surprised it also got Final Fight.

Games like Final Fight could never have excellent conversions on the Amiga unless it was through love or the publisher investing money in the Graphics, Coding and Sound.
Old 20 September 2019, 00:34   #23
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
The sequels never captured the original but Sega had Streets of Rage so I was surprised it also got Final Fight.

Games like Final Fight could never have excellent conversions on the Amiga unless it was through love or the publisher investing money in the Graphics, Coding and Sound.

Cor don't get me started on Streets of Rage, the second game was incredible, that along with Rambo III was the sole reason I bought a megadrive, I actually placed SOR2 against the arcade version of Final Fight in one of my "VS" videos, SOR2 won!
Old 20 September 2019, 00:53   #24
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Saimon69, is that using just 2 channels? Wow, I'm impressed, very good job!

-

I haven't watched the video completely (for now), but Final Fight on Amiga plays very badly, and from what I heard from Zeus on the video, I agree with him (But I haven't heard any part where he mentions Richard Aplin)

I have zero problem with its graphics (which IMO are pretty good in spite of the silly animations, 16 colors or whatever, I think they are good enough), I think the game is very well programmed (even more considering all the restrictions) with smooth scrolling and all (and the slowdowns were to be expected), I know why it has no ingame music (fuck US Gold), but the gameplay is very bad with just too many issues that makes the game really bad.

With this being said, I have all respect for ANYONE who made anything that was playable and commercialy released back at the time, and this is obviously better programmed than a lot of shit we had back at the day. Having no support to port a complex game for 2 systems on 6 months it's just a no-win situation and the fact that some games actually were good under those circumstances it's just amazing. But the game is awful.

It has been 28 years. Are people still bitter about it?
Old 20 September 2019, 01:14   #25
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
It has been 28 years. Are people still bitter about it?
That is purely in Amiga style, do i still need to mention Outrun? :P
Old 20 September 2019, 01:19   #26
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
That is purely in Amiga style, do i still need to mention Outrun? :P

Or Street Fighter 1 Both featured on my SGT video series.
Old 20 September 2019, 03:47   #27
ransom1122

Final Fight is a better game then Human Killing Machine.

I won't disgree that Final Fight on Amiga is a bad game, But for it's time I didn't mind the game, I thought it was quite good and enjoyable.
Old 20 September 2019, 03:57   #28
lmimmfn

I'm with Zeuz on this. Richard did the best he could in the time he had but gameplay wise it's not a great game. Richard is a legend, but 1-3 people in a short timeframe can't really port a game like this and do it justice.
Old 20 September 2019, 09:38   #29
Dunny

Wait, so we're not allowed to say a game is bad if the author is resident on here?
Old 20 September 2019, 09:56   #30
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Wait, so we're not allowed to say a game is bad if the author is resident on here?
Resident or not you can say what you want as far as I care.
Old 20 September 2019, 10:34   #31
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Well there's 84 editions so I guess sooner or later there would be one you wouldn't agree with
That's the trouble in these videos I guess, there is no real middle ground. Either you agree with the shit stamp in which case the video is a blast, or you don't agree with it at which point you become the enemy for a brief moment for slamming the games with such audible disgust

There is a compliment in there somewhere.
Old 20 September 2019, 11:44   #32
Hewitson

Quote:
Those sequels though on the Snes, they were soo letterboxed squashed, huge top and bottom borders, what was all that about?!
It's called having a shitty PAL console.
Old 20 September 2019, 11:53   #33
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

I don't have an opinion on FF, but even if some (otherwise respected) developer(s) do a good job/the best they could, the outcome could still be bad, and of course people are allowed to call that out.
Old 20 September 2019, 13:23   #34
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Don't, stick to MAME or PS2 compilation for the real experience, you also won't have to deal with loading times and will have a pumping arcade soundtrack to keep the mood going
Now I am really intrigued, will have to check the game on A1200 over weekend.

What I wonder, does controversy here on EAB and flashy provocative title helps your channel on youtube?

On this one I am with Gimbal, at the time many games I could label 'shitty' today were 'fine' for me back in the day. My expectations were much lower, specially after C64 and A2600.

Come on, more than 10 pixels presenting character, and you call it shitty?

What I find surprising is that big name companies were not able to get source code for game to make them look/play close to real thing?! What a fck?
Old 20 September 2019, 15:44   #35
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
I don't have an opinion on FF, but even if some (otherwise respected) developer(s) do a good job/the best they could, the outcome could still be bad, and of course people are allowed to call that out.
Yep especially if you've coughed up £25, then as far as I'm concerned you've paid your dues and have the right to shame it if It's bad,...which many are agreeing this game is.
Once a creator of whatever they do as a profession release their work to the public then we can say whatever we feel especially when you've paid your money for their work, they know this, that's the risk they take.

Many publishers should have been taken to court back in the day for screwing kids out of their pocket money and in return giving them a crud game especially when screenshots were not the same as the version that was displayed, U.S. Gold were notorious for this crime.
Old 20 September 2019, 15:48   #36
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
It's called having a shitty PAL console.
But those boarders were HUUUUUUGE, the Snes seemed to be much bigger than the Megadrives, even many Amiga games which came out way before the Snes were displaying full screen in PAL, once the PS1 came along all games became full screen.
Old 20 September 2019, 15:51   #37
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That's the trouble in these videos I guess, there is no real middle ground. Either you agree with the shit stamp in which case the video is a blast, or you don't agree with it at which point you become the enemy for a brief moment for slamming the games with such audible disgust

There is a compliment in there somewhere.
Too true buddy, I'm always being thanked for putting myself through such torture reviewing shit games but some of them have me in stitches,...HKM for Amiga and Outrun for Dos were 2 prime examples where I lost it lol.
The are also ones that blew my anger fuse, Bad Cat (amiga), Robocop 2 (c64) and Top Banana (amiga),...my blood boiled!
Old 20 September 2019, 16:47   #38
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I don't know. I thought Final Fight on Amiga had serious issues when I first played it, but I believe I had already played Streets of Rage at home on the Mega-Drive, so I had something proper to compare with it.
Old 20 September 2019, 17:08   #39
roondar

Quote:
But those boarders were HUUUUUUGE, the Snes seemed to be much bigger than the Megadrives, even many Amiga games which came out way before the Snes were displaying full screen in PAL, once the PS1 came along all games became full screen.
It's weirder than you think. The MD actually has specific screen modes for PAL screens that do use a bigger portion of the screen (240 lines vs the Amiga's 256). It's just that AFAIK no games actually use these PAL screen modes and instead just stuck with the NTSC display size.

I'm not sure if this is also the case for the SNES, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened.

In essence, it seems most (if not all) developers decided to not go through the trouble of changing their games to better fit PAL screens and instead simply kept the same vertical resolution as in their NTSC games. It's the same kind of laziness as we saw with the many ST to Amiga ports. It's the same with the many console games whose music slowed down on PAL consoles - there's no reason for this, other than developer laziness.
Old 20 September 2019, 18:42   #40
th4t1guy

Never played Final Fight on the Amiga, but I can imagine if I did when it came out, I would've had fun with it. I've definitely had fun with games that looked/played much worse. But since there's a much broader choice we have with emulators these days and can easily compare it to all the other versions, it's easier now to knock it. But I would say this point gives a little context to the high rating from Amiga Action for it.

Enjoyed the video though.