English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What game do you want to see ported to the Amiga?
Rolling Thunder (Arcade) 21 6.58%
Gauntlet (Arcade) 29 9.09%
Shinobi (Arcade) 49 15.36%
Pacman (Arcade) 7 2.19%
Final Fight (Arcade) 35 10.97%
Rastan (Arcade) 30 9.40%
Side Arms (Arcade) 1 0.31%
Nemesis/Gradius (Arcade) 13 4.08%
Raiden (Arcade) 10 3.13%
Raiden II (Arcade) 11 3.45%
Space Invaders (Arcade) 2 0.63%
Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja (Arcade) 6 1.88%
Wonder Boy (Arcade) 46 14.42%
Axelay (SNES) 9 2.82%
Double Dragon (Arcade) 13 4.08%
None - Do my own game! 37 11.60%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 August 2019, 01:36   #201
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
How someone can't "understand what is all the hype" is a mystery; unless of course you won't there at the time, or if you never played it enough in the Arcades.
I was pretty young when SF2 came on the arcade, but I was there.
The trouble with this game /for me), is that in multiplayer mode, some girl could just randomly press keys and beat the hell of the some guy that played that for long time.
That I didn't liked.
However, I must agree that this game is responsible for born of many cool fight games, and the whole gender.

Do I have to repeat myself?
When Mortal Kombat came, there's no chance of someone randomly pushing the buttons and expect the win, against the professional.
It became a strategy.
And that... I did like.
Old 30 August 2019, 01:39   #202
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
The trouble with this game /for me), is that in multiplayer mode, some girl could just randomly press keys and beat the hell of the some guy that played that for long time.
That I didn't liked.
Don't think so... that would never, ever happen if you're an experienced player

They would block / counter attack any feeble attempts of any button bashers and smash them to bits
Old 30 August 2019, 01:45   #203
d4rk3lf

I disagree.
But Ok...

The whole idea about Street Fighter 2 gameplay is pure luck.
No one can anticipate (or react), when some guy put's in a special move.

In Mortal Kombat (if you are careful enough), you can react.

So... the 1 VS 1 fighting games (for me), are the ones that someone can anticipate other moves, and where the luck factor is up to minimum.
Luck factor in SF2, imho, is far beyond minimum.
Old 30 August 2019, 01:47   #204
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I disagree.
But Ok...

The whole idea about Street Fighter 2 gameplay is pure luck.
No one can anticipate (or react), when some guy put's in a special move.
Pure luck, you can't be serious?

Have you ever played against Japanese masters? I did in Australia when growing up.

No luck there; total strategy / timing and execution of moves.

I used to mainly play with either Guile or Ken. If a player put's in a "special move" you could dragon punch / somersault kick through if timed correctly, and then follow through with combos
Old 30 August 2019, 01:54   #205
d4rk3lf

Quote:
You can't be serious?

I used to mainly play with either Guile or Ken. If a player put's in a "special move" you could dragon punch / somersault kick through it if timed correctly
Let's make it real then.

I personally like Blanka, and even I don't like SF2 at all, I will crush you with my storm. :P I will just randomly press buttons, and even if you are professional SF2 user, I'd beat you 1 to 3.
That wouldn't happen with MK.

I play MK a lot.. so.. if you random press the buttons (both arcade, or Amiga), I'd beat you 10 out of 10.

That's why I like Mortal Kombat better.
Old 30 August 2019, 01:57   #206
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Let's make it real then.

I personally like Blanka, and even I don't like SF2 at all, I will crush you with my storm. :P I will just randomly press buttons, and even if you are professional SF2 user, I'd beat you 1 to 3.
Bahahaha; you use Blanka... I'd wipe you out in 10 seconds flat

Do you even know about "secret" moves i.e. Guile's "stance" / "reset machine" / "stick to enemy" / "fake throw"; and Dhalsim's "disappearing" etc...

Quote:

I play MK a lot.. so.. if you random press the buttons (both arcade, or Amiga), I'd beat you 10 out of 10.

Don't think so; I'm also a master of MK / MK 2 and can easily finish them with every character available

Anyway; we are getting way off topic so let's just leave it there.

...but if you ever come to London though, come over. I have a HotRodSE and we can have it out

Last edited by DamienD; 30 August 2019 at 02:04.
Old 30 August 2019, 02:05   #207
d4rk3lf

[QUOTE=DamienD;1342170]Bahahaha; you use Blanka... I'd wipe you out in 10 seconds flat /[QUOTE]
Well, I'd need some advice here, on how to stop you.
Share the wisdom man!

Quote:
Don't think so; I'm also a master of MK / MK 2 and can finish them with every character available
I would not need advise here.
You know how our galaxy big is? It's more then 100 thousands light yeas. Your fragments on body would fly beyond that distances, and even it will hit Andromeda Galaxy that is on our way, and change it's velocity.

For the sake of 870 billion souls, we must play MK2.
Old 30 August 2019, 02:08   #208
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Well, I'd need some advice here, on how to stop you.
Share the wisdom man!
Using Blanka, or indeed almost any other character again a master using Ken / Ryu / Guile; there really no advise that I can give you.

You are going to get cleaned up

Quote:
I would not need advise here.
You know how our galaxy big is? It's more then 100 thousands light yeas. Your fragments on body would fly beyond that distances, and even it will hit Andromeda Galaxy that is on our way, and change it's velocity.

For the sake of 870 billion souls, we must play MK2.
Bring it on
Old 30 August 2019, 02:12   #209
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Using Blanka, or indeed almost any other characters again a master using Ken / Ryu / Guile; there really no advise I can give you.
So the game is like that there is a characers that is weaker then others?
I thought, all are similar.

So, Ken, Ryu, or Guuiule is all about?
Old 30 August 2019, 02:43   #210
vulture

Chun Li's strong too , but yes, a pro Ryu, Ken or Guile will have the advantage on SF2. No way a button masher can beat even a moderately good player btw.
Old 30 August 2019, 03:33   #211
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Amigans: "The A1200 was underpowered! We needed a more powerful machine!"

Also Amigans: "We want a black-and-white game port that fits into 4K of RAM!"
Well, it definitely will NOT fit in 4k or ram nor be playable in a 500, but for an A1200 The unfinished swan seem an interesting project to port or recreate... is in black and white only so pure chunky

Last edited by saimon69; 30 August 2019 at 04:22.
Old 30 August 2019, 04:50   #212
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Let's make it real then.

Mate.... you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Unfortunately we are too far away so I doubt a match at SF2CE (Or even World Warior if you want it) against me would work properly on Fightcade.

But you REALLY need to play with some people who know to play the game properly, they will ALWAYS wipe you out if you just "randomly press buttons with Blanka".

SF2 basically started the whole competitive arcade scene for a reason. And yes, some characters are better than others, but you have different matchups. Certain characters are better against some and worse against other. Thats how it works in basically any fighting game that actually has characters well designed....

.... which is NOT the case of Mortal Kombat or MK2. Mortal Kombat isn't a bad game, but it EONS away of SF2 in terms of gameplay depth. Mortal Kombat only got all that attention because of its digitized graphics + fatalities.

It was that Sub-Zero fatality that made everyone look at Mortal Kombat. Without fatalities, I doubt the game would be much more remembered nowadays than , say, Pit-Fighter. The gameplay is very simplistic.

That being said, I can play Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition with any character but Zangief, which I could never learn properly... I love playing with Chun-Li, I really think it's the most fun character to play, but her low damage is really annoying... in the other hand, people who I play against usually say my Dhalsim is my strongest character.

Same with Super Turbo... I can't play with Zangief, but I can be competitive with any other character. But there I think Balrog (boxer) is my best one

Even though World Warrior has lots of issues, I am really amazed how RIGHT Capcom got that game so early in the genre history. And then Champion Edition was just freaking amazing, and took a LONG time up until any one else could do something that matched it, SNK included (Who I think actually ended up making the best 2D fighting games of their era).

Yes, SF2 is GOAT.
Old 30 August 2019, 10:09   #213
jotd
This cat is no more

Mortal Kombat was clearly a ripoff of Street Fighter 2 (note the way to send ice vs Ken fireball...) but decided to be super trash & violent, which some tongue in cheek humour. And that worked.

The gameplay isn't that bad, the AI is okay, and characters are well balanced. I agree SF2 is great but I have more fun with MK because of all the useless things in it that you quoted

Moreover, the first movie is "so bad that it's good", when SF movie just sucks
Old 31 August 2019, 15:18   #214
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Mate.... you obviously don't know what you're talking about.
Sorry mate, I had a few drinks that night, and I was in the mood to joke with DamienD (by challenging him), I wasn't that serious.

But anyway, we could really organize some online tournament with SF2, MK or MK2. I guess, today that shouldn't be a big deal.
Doesn't have to be Amiga, and I think it would be lots of fun.
Old 31 August 2019, 16:18   #215
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Latency is a big deal. I'm in South America, I won't be able to get a decent ping against you guys
Old 31 August 2019, 16:32   #216
d4rk3lf

Even for a games that are few MB in size?
I never played these old games online, but I guess. there is some service... something, that can make Mame (for example) go online.
I will try to google something, when I have time.
(If anyone knows, please share)

After all, it will be a good excuse for you, after you get kicked in MK2 match against me.
Old 31 August 2019, 17:56   #217
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yes, there's a thing called "Fightcade", it's great to play those arcade games online.

Problem is, those games weren't made for online play and they require very good synchronization. When you play againt someone who is near you its ok, because you can get very low pings. At higher distances, there's just no way to not have latency.. and then you have either unacceptable lag input or the game just completely loses sync, and each player ends up "seeing" a different game. The problem is not the size of the game, but how long it takes for a packet of data to travel from, say, Brazil to Serbia.

And I was very competent in both MK2 and MK3 back at the day (which is a more competitive game), but I haven't played any of those in ages (Exactly because.. well, they aren't really that good, hehe ), so I guess I would probably get my ass whipped on MK2 anyway But SF2? Bring it on
Old 01 September 2019, 00:28   #218
d4rk3lf

What about MameHub? Anyone used it?
I am googling now and see that people play both MK2 and SF2 on it.

I mean... I can't understand that I can play (for example) Starcraft 2 online with some man from Brazil, and that game needs to transfer million more times bigger data then any of the old game, and it had no lag at all.

What about Hamatchi and PC?
That should basically create something like lan between comps...
Old 01 September 2019, 00:41   #219
alpine9000

Quote:
What about MameHub? Anyone used it?
I am googling now and see that people play both MK2 and SF2 on it.

I mean... I can't understand that I can play (for example) Starcraft 2 online with some man from Brazil, and that game needs to transfer million more times bigger data then any of the old game, and it had no lag at all.

What about Hamatchi and PC?
That should basically create something like lan between comps...
Modern multiplayer games are designed to work with lag, lots of cool techniques for example things like "Client-side prediction".

If you're playing a game that was not designed to handle lag, then you are often stuck with syncronising the frame rate to the ping time. If you have a ping time of 250ms (1/4) of a second, then welcome to 4fps action.
Old 01 September 2019, 06:56   #220
Lilura

I voted for Wonder Boy but Rastan would be great, too.