BarryB
Amigaholic

Well look what turned up today:

Old 06 June 2019, 15:58   #83
Puggsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
We were pretty aware how important the scene is for Amiga community, long before a community was even called like that. In Amiga Joker we wrote about scene stuff in every issue. I for example did two page demo reviews for about four years. Believe me, I know the scene.
Demoscene != crack scene
Quote:
But what if someone not only adds infinite powerups, but also exchanges the Tars enemys with jewish symbols, and replaces the ingame dialogue with Nazi parole? This is not just a thought, comparable things have happend before.
This is insane train of thought. Where has it happened? Really, this is going way too far. You realize that's, like, crazy-talk?
If it ever did happen, in recent years, by people whor are actually adults and not 8 year olds giggling in their bedroom, with an Amiga game, then show it to me, I'll eat my words.

But we're talking just about a damn TRAINER. And nobody ever required permission from anyone to make a trainer, and never should.
Old 06 June 2019, 16:18   #84
roondar

Surely you can see there's a difference between 'requiring permission' and being a nice chap and asking for it anyway even though you don't think you need to?

IMHO, that's what this is all really about. Being an adult (again IMHO) means acting respectfully to others. That obviously goes both ways, but would include such things as being nice enough to at least notify people when you want to do stuff to their intellectual property.

I honestly don't see why people think buzzybee's position is an issue here. He never said "outlaw trainers", he merely said "would've been nice to tell me".

Edit: do note that part of the reason I agree with him is the online highscore tables. You don't want potential cheaters on those.
Old 06 June 2019, 16:23   #85
Puggsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I honestly don't see why people think buzzybee's position is an issue here. He never said "outlaw trainers", he merely said "would've been nice to tell me".
I disagree, I find the note standoffish and entitled. Like if it was owed to him. Otherwise he would not have mentioned it. Just look at his conversation above with the guy who made the trainer.

also the key thing was mentioned in your post. Making a trainer for a game is in no way an act of disrespect. Quite the opposite.
Old 06 June 2019, 17:00   #86
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
I disagree, I find the note standoffish and entitled. Like if it was owed to him. Otherwise he would not have mentioned it. Just look at his conversation above with the guy who made the trainer.

also the key thing was mentioned in your post. Making a trainer for a game is in no way an act of disrespect. Quite the opposite.
Edit: I've decided to remove this post as I don't see it going anywhere useful.

Suffice to say I disagree with you. I read the conversation you refer to and IMHO it wasn't buzzybee that came across as acting entitled.

Last edited by roondar; 06 June 2019 at 17:33.
Old 06 June 2019, 23:31   #87
rsn8887

Quote:
Originally Posted by thairacerjp View Post
done it ! , i have post on the uae4all Vita thread
Check again in the Vita thread. I attached a special test version of uae4all2 for Switch and Vita that allows you to get past the intro. However, the game might just be too much for our little Vita: it runs really slow and the detail in the blue background layers is missing.

On Switch it runs full speed, but still missing that background detail.

On Switch, I had to create a hdf because the hd-Dir mounted version didn’t load level one correctly. Maybe it was file corruption on my sd card, or some file locking issue.
Old 06 June 2019, 23:58   #88
buzzybee

@Puggsy: Sorry, not only do I disagree with you, but also you are wrong. A trainer changes the original code, which is clearly forbidden unless otherwise stated by its creators. Let me enlighten you with an excerpt of a common terms of usage which goes with a lot of software:

"This program is copyrighted software. You cannot sell it, copy it,
share it, redistribute it and/or modify it without written
permission from the copyright-holder." (from the RESHOOT R copyright notice, in this case)

Also, may I ask you to carefully read my postings prior to answering them, or at least think about what Roondar wrote? I mentioned already I do appreciate all efforts which went into the trainer, and I´d also appreciate you to realise this.

@rsn8887: You must be kidding – RESHOOT R runs on Switch?! Is it possible to download the emulator onto a basic console, or do I need some kind of hack? Need to check out the Vita-thread ...
Old 07 June 2019, 01:00   #89
rsn8887

The thread and test versions of the emulator are here: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...3&postcount=59

More details and screenshots for the Vita/Switch Amiga emulator are here: https://github.com/rsn8887/uae4all2/releases/latest.

I have made many improvements to the emulator over the last 2 years. It works well.

To run the emulator on Switch, you need a jailbroken Switch. Only certain Switches can be jailbroken. I think it has to be manufactured before approximately June 2018. More info is here or here. The hacking can be done for example using the commercial SX Pro package. One could also use the free package "Kosmos/AtlasNX" with some other dongle or Android phone and cable and jig.

Most Amiga games run great on Vita/Switch. On Vita, a few demanding games have slowdown (Jim Power, Leander). On Switch, everything is full speed. The few games that require cycle exact don't run correctly. For example, the doors in Nebulus 2 are invisible because the game requires cycle-exactness.

Reshoot-R runs in full-speed on my Switch, but the blue background detail is missing. There are only blue color gradients, but no blue scrolling parallax layers. I will try to post a screenshot later. It is still very playable. But it doesn't look as good as on a real Amiga without the blue background layers. The plasma transparency effect later in the level seems to work just fine.

EDIT: BTW thanks for the great game! It reminds me of Project X in a very good way. But it is also different. I had to buy it. Of course I wanted to test it on Vita and Switch, but I also love Project X so I figured that I would like this game for sure. The transparency effects remind me of X2 on Playstation 1, a sequel to Project X that also had lots of transparency effects.

Last edited by rsn8887; 07 June 2019 at 05:30.
Old 07 June 2019, 05:05   #90
rsn8887

Here is a screenshot how Reshoot-R looks on my Switch. You can see the missing detail in the blue background. Apart from that, it plays great.

It requires setting "Sprite Collisions: On" in the menu, otherwise the bullets don't harm the player. It is surprising how many bullet sprites the game displays at the same time. It must be a sprite multiplexer.

The second image is an example how it looks on real Amiga (at a different time in the level), for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019060622251800-AF6E0DEC5D19A8CF16A6DC64E6B97170.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	63401   Click image for larger version

Name:	reshootr-10_Amig.png
Views:	225
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	63402  

Last edited by rsn8887; 07 June 2019 at 17:11.
Old 07 June 2019, 08:37   #91
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post

Well, somebody spent a couple of YEARS creating this game.
And you think someone asking you to drop that guy a line and getting in contact before you change his work to add your name to it is "entitled"?

We are grown ups, and not in the 80ies anymore.
Show some respect.
Old 07 June 2019, 09:25   #92
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Please - correct me, I may be wrong - but I though that flashtro trainer is a standalone program, that you run before the main game executable is launched and it modifies something in the memory, not the game itself. I though you can run it before your game, that you legally bought, and after you deleted the trainer, the game remains intact. So you can run the game with or without that trainer. Am I right or not? I thought this is the difference to common cracktros, that were stuck to heavily modified original games (and thus were provided INCLUDING the game itself by crackers), which is of course illegal.

Old 07 June 2019, 09:31   #93
Alpha One

Yes, the trainer is a seperate executable that runs the game and then modifies memory, no file on disk has been altered.
But I think we should stop the discussion now, all opinions were written down. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Please - correct me, I may be wrong - but I though that flashtro trainer is a standalone program, that you run before the main game executable is launched and it modifies something in the memory, not the game itself. I though you can run it before your game, that you legally bought, and after you deleted the trainer, the game remains intact. So you can run the game with or without that trainer. Am I right or not? I thought this is the difference to common cracktros, that were stuck to heavily modified original games (and thus were provided INCLUDING the game itself by crackers), which is of course illegal.

Old 07 June 2019, 11:39   #94
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One View Post
Yes, the trainer is a seperate executable that runs the game and then modifies memory, no file on disk has been altered.
Thank you, I do not understand where is the problem then.
Old 07 June 2019, 15:16   #95
blade002
Zone Friend

Bought the game 2 days ago, a brilliant achievement. We should all be EXTREMELY thankful for this game

Thank you!
Old 07 June 2019, 16:10   #96
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One View Post
But I think we should stop the discussion now, all opinions were written down. :-)
I love your smiley! But there are no opinions here, there is no room for interpretation. Claiming that a trainer would be a separate executable which "modifies the memory, no file on disk " is a technical description which does not hit the heart of the matter.

Sorry to repeat myself, but I really feel here is something to be learned. Again, please read this excerpt from a common copyright notice, which is included with RESHOOT R and millions of games out there: "You cannot modify [the program] without written permission"

What does that mean? It means that is does not matter if the trainer technically modifies memory cells in RAM, on 3.5, on 5 1/4, harddrive or CF Card. As long as a trainer modifies memory cells occupied by the game program and therefore modifies the game program itself, and it does so without the creators permission, it´s illegal.

I think you should know copyright cases are civil right. Therefore there are software houses and lawyers out there, which can and do automatically sent out costly warnings if they get wind of such cases – even if they are in no way connected with the author of the original software. That´s why it is not only grownup behaviour, but also wise to get the creators permission. Just a personal message with two lines, and you are in a safe position – win-win. Just saying.
Old 07 June 2019, 16:12   #97
buzzybee

@blade002: Thank you very much. Glad you feel entertained! If you ever see your compatriot Kevin Saunders, who did the pixels, please give him hugs from me!
Old 07 June 2019, 17:10   #98
rsn8887

I never understood the appeal of trainers. I will never use them, because I don't want to cheat. Often the trainers broke some features of the game, even when disabled. For example, the trainer code might remap the key F1 to "skip level" when the game was originally using F1 for "weapon select" or some other important function.
Old 07 June 2019, 18:21   #99
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
@blade002: Thank you very much. Glad you feel entertained! If you ever see your compatriot Kevin Saunders, who did the pixels, please give him hugs from me!

VERY entertained! Such quality is rare on the Amiga in this day and age, you've done the Amiga a great service

And If I ever run into Kevin I certainly will, I highly doubt that will happen but doubt not I'll do it for us both for such a sterling effort.. All involved did a great job! Please don't hesitate to make more Amiga titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
I never understood the appeal of trainers. I will never use them, because I don't want to cheat. Often the trainers broke some features of the game, even when disabled. For example, the trainer code might remap the key F1 to "skip level" when the game was originally using F1 for "weapon select" or some other important function.

Agreed! I can't stand trainers... why play a game if you're not going to be challenged by it? Yeah sure, some games were made impossible but only some. Reshoot*R is balls hard but it would seem not impossible.

Would old school players have it any other way anyway?

Last edited by blade002; 07 June 2019 at 18:27.
Old 07 June 2019, 18:30   #100
rsn8887

One thing about the digital download version: It might be too late now, but it would be very nice to offer a pre-made .hdf version for easy use with emulators, in addition to the .lha version for use on real Amiga. Creating a .hdf is a hurdle for people who only use emulators.

I made one myself, a 10 MB large .hdf was enough to fit all the files from the .lha archive.