English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 October 2001, 00:29   #1
MethodGit

Smile Pinball Dreams for Atari Falcon 030

http://www.fatal-design.com/pinball/

Now all we need is an Atari Falcon emulator.... Any ideas?
Old 18 October 2001, 01:06   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

Re: Pinball Dreams for Atari Falcon 030

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
Now all we need is an Atari Falcon emulator.... Any ideas?
Sorry Marz, your out of luck, no Falcon emulator is even planned let alone ready to use AFAIK

Anyway it woun't be any better than the CD32/A1200 version anyway

I did see a Falcon for sale on Ebay a while back ............. For $500 and that was at the start of the auction:eek

Moved to General discussion, nothing really to do with the Amiga Scene Marz

Last edited by Ian; 18 October 2001 at 19:03.
Old 18 October 2001, 10:46   #3
MethodGit

Re: Re: Pinball Dreams for Atari Falcon 030

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Sorry Marz, your out of luck, no Falcon emulator is even planned let alone ready to use AFAIK
Dang. :thumbs_do It can't be that hard to emulate though? If it can do Pinball Dreams in full colour and all that, its hardware must be similar to Amiga or at least a slightly more powerful version of the ST, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Anyway it woun't be any better than the CD32/A1200 version anyway
There was a CD32/A1200 version of Dreams? Unless you're getting confused with Fantasies, buddy...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I did see a Falcon for sale on Ebay a while back ............. For $500 and that was at the start of the auction:eek
It must be a very rare beast of a machine then, if someone thought they could sell a machine like that for that much cash.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Moved to General discussion, nothing really to do with the Amiga Scene Marz
Okay, I thought it would fit in Amiga Scene because it was about an Amiga game. But the rule appears to be, if the post is about game conversions, then it fits in General Discussion, I guess.
Old 18 October 2001, 10:49   #4
RetroMan

Re: Re: Pinball Dreams for Atari Falcon 030

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Hmm, this neat machine isn´t worth that much any more, I´ve seen several Falcon030 going away at $150 at EBay here in germany .... just some days ago
Old 18 October 2001, 10:55   #5
RetroMan

Well, at least there is a Projekt for a Falcon-Emu : http://sourceforge.net/projects/falconpowder/

But I doubt it´s real
Old 18 October 2001, 19:02   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Pinball Dreams for Atari Falcon 030

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
Okay, I thought it would fit in Amiga Scene because it was about an Amiga game. But the rule appears to be, if the post is about game conversions, then it fits in General Discussion, I guess.
Well I could have put in off-topic, but you know what would happen then :kill

Oh, sorry for not reading your post properly, but I doubt it's better than the A500 version of PD

@ Retroman

It did have an accelerator fitted and the seller was making a really big deal out of it, maybe it was rare

Last edited by Ian; 18 October 2001 at 19:26.
Old 21 October 2001, 14:54   #7
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
Well, at least there is a Projekt for a Falcon-Emu : http://sourceforge.net/projects/falconpowder/

But I doubt it´s real
It is real

It's been started by the same guy that wrote STonX the Atari St emulator
Old 21 October 2001, 15:16   #8
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian

It is real

It's been started by the same guy that wrote STonX the Atari St emulator
WHOOOOOOOHO
Old 22 October 2001, 00:10   #9
MethodGit

JACKPOT!

Hopefully he'll bring the full hardware sound emulation from that top ST emu into this one too.
Old 22 October 2001, 09:53   #10
RetroMan

Since I never seen a Falcon in action, I would really like to see that Emu being released and one thing is for sure, if it´s good, I will buy a real Falcon
Old 05 December 2003, 13:32   #11
Marcuz

there's another one on sourceforge. a VM really...

http://aranym.sourceforge.net/

but i guess it must be known by now...
Old 06 December 2003, 21:02   #12
Puzzle

Am I the only one here that actually owns a Falcon?

I've played the game in question. It's identical to the Amiga-version.

There aren't that many Falcon-specific games. The machine never took off, as Atari had economic problems at the time, and they were focusing on the Jaguar instead.

Anyway, the Falcon is a nice machine. Loads more powerful than an A1200. Faster processor, better and faster graphics, much better sound, and a built-in SCSI port at the back.
But it is much harder to upgrade than an A1200. Most accelerators require that you solder wires to various spots on the motherboard.
Also, the Falcon has almost no compatibility with the ST when it comes to games. Very few work at all.
Old 06 December 2003, 23:17   #13
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Would love to own a Falcon, v expensive tho.

Id like to debate the whole issue of better sound and gfx than the A1200 tho Puzzle. And even the CPU wasnt that far ahead. And it had only 1MB Ram...
Old 07 December 2003, 06:54   #14
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I wouldnt mind on either, but not at what they currently go for on ebay; especially since there are few games for it.

It would be smarter for me to get a STE to replace my STf since I can jam more memory into it cheaply and its in stereo.
Old 07 December 2003, 17:50   #15
Puzzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad
Would love to own a Falcon, v expensive tho.

Id like to debate the whole issue of better sound and gfx than the A1200 tho Puzzle. And even the CPU wasnt that far ahead. And it had only 1MB Ram...
The sound and graphics is better than the A1200. Believe me, I own both machines.

However, there are very few games and demos that take advantage of it. But some applications do.

The graphics on the Falcon is a bit faster than the A1200. This is very noticeable in screenmodes with 256-colours. And the Falcon has true CD-quality sound (16 bit, 44KHz), unlike the A1200. And it has SCSI built in.

However, the blitter on the Falcon is not as good as on the A1200. And GEM (compared to Workbench)... well, yuck.

The CPU on the Falcon is not much faster than the one in the A1200. But the difference was quite large back in 1992.

Also, I think the Falcon came with 4MB RAM in it's default configuration.
Mine has 14MB, by the way.
Old 07 December 2003, 18:56   #16
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Puzzle
The sound and graphics is better than the A1200. Believe me, I own both machines.

However, there are very few games and demos that take advantage of it. But some applications do.

The graphics on the Falcon is a bit faster than the A1200. This is very noticeable in screenmodes with 256-colours. And the Falcon has true CD-quality sound (16 bit, 44KHz), unlike the A1200. And it has SCSI built in.

However, the blitter on the Falcon is not as good as on the A1200. And GEM (compared to Workbench)... well, yuck.

The CPU on the Falcon is not much faster than the one in the A1200. But the difference was quite large back in 1992.

Also, I think the Falcon came with 4MB RAM in it's default configuration.
Mine has 14MB, by the way.
So what do you use the falcon for?
Old 08 December 2003, 02:05   #17
Puzzle

Nothing right now. It's stored at my parents' place. I don't have room for it right now.

It's a nice setup. It has an accelerator that overclocks the 030, an FDI, CD-ROM, and two almost dead SCSI-drives. Plus an internal 120MB IDE-drive.
Old 08 December 2003, 09:09   #18
SilentBob

I read the Falcon came with 1 Mb as default, at least back in 1992. But hey, I think it was a neat machine back then. It had all the things I wanted Commodore to put in the A1200. 16-bit sound, high-density floppy drive, and RAM expansion on the mainboard.

I've always wanted one of my own to mess around with, too bad they're hard to come by. Found a solitary one on Ebay the other day, but they were asking too much.
Old 10 December 2003, 17:12   #19
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Puzzle
Nothing right now. It's stored at my parents' place. I don't have room for it right now.

It's a nice setup. It has an accelerator that overclocks the 030, an FDI, CD-ROM, and two almost dead SCSI-drives. Plus an internal 120MB IDE-drive.
Quite possible, a useless machine.
Old 10 December 2003, 22:12   #20
Marcuz

i wonder if there any copy of Ishar 3 around for Falcon and if so and you have tryied it, if it's better or differente for the AGA version.