English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03 September 2018, 11:47   #2261
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 12,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That ending though... I'm just too stupid to get the meaning behind such things, I had to look it up. Shockingly abrupt, I'll leave it at that
Yeah, the ending is a bit...
DamienD is offline  
Old 10 September 2018, 11:31   #2262
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel
gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,093
Finally got around to seeing the Hitman's Bodyguard. On the surface its a very cliche movie with a shallow story already done numerous times in the past decade, but fun characters played by exactly the right actors makes for a great viewing experience. Samuel L. Jackson seems to have dusted off his Zeus persona from Die Hard 3 and given it a spit polish, works great.

7.5/10
gimbal is offline  
Old 15 September 2018, 18:08   #2263
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel
gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,093
Cars 3. Let's face it, Cars 2 is the worst movie Pixar ever produced; still good for the kids I'd wager. For some reason people don't have much love for the first one either, but I happen to love it. Its a wacky world in which you see something new every time you watch it, its so chock full of tiny details.

Cars 3 is a return to form. It is a bit of a copy and a continuation of the first movie and to me that is a good thing, this story is what the second movie should have been about. The graphics are staggering in this one, some scenes look almost photo realistic. And the soundtrack! Better than ever.

But above all else this movie is just a whole lot of fun for the entire family.

7/10


The Predator

Ho boy did I run run run to the cinema to see this one. So, checklist. Is this a good Predator movie?

* it has predators: check
* it has the predator theme: check
* gore and death: double check
* it is full of explosions and gunfights: check
* it is about a ragtag bunch of (male) wise-cracking soldiers: check
* ... and one non-military woman that can kick ass: check
* people absolutely and completely hate it because it isn't Predator 1: check

Added in this movie:

* loads of so bad it's good humor: check
* actually doing something interesting with the Predator lore: check!

Good - god - I - love - this - movie, I had an amazing time watching this. Humor may seem like it would ruin the movie but no, not at all. It just adds to the fun and gives the movie its own face. It's 80's/90's throwback all the way with plenty of references for those aware of Predator trivia. The movie expands on the lore of the Predator in a way that to me gives a little more backbone to the series without changing anything about previous installments while opening up a possibility for more growth for future movies. Having seen this, I really do look forward to seeing more. Not that I'm going to get any, because of course... everyone hates it. How could they not .

My only complaint: the movie is in a bit of a hurry to show you as much as it possibly can in the 2 hour runtime so you do not get to savor the moments as much as you would in the original duo of movies which were nice and slow and detailed. That makes some of the scenes especially in the latter half a bit jarring and could have done with better editing. But meh, it didn't kill my enjoyment.

So yeah on the scale of modern action scifi movies, I rate this:

8/10
gimbal is offline  
Old 17 September 2018, 14:41   #2264
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 46
Posts: 2,444
While waiting to get (as usually) BlueRay with latest SW movie, changed my mind and got it online for 20 bucks. (first movie I got online, even I have ~30 movies on movies anywhere thanks to license that came with BR disks)

So this weekend I finally saw Star Wars: Han Solo Story (2018)

I heard mixed messages about movie and wanted to check how bad really can be. It ended up to be much better then what I was expecting to be. It has old 80's movie charm while effects and visuals are up to date with today's technology. Characters are really well selected and they complement SW universe.

Many little details, fast storyline and connection of dots to how Han, Chewbacca and Lando met, Qi'ra (how can't you love Emilia Clarke in any movie?! ) and Driden Vos (Paul Bettany - Vision/Jarvis in marvel movies) complement movie with nice wired twist.

And of course, there is funny and well made droid, first time with women voice (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) and funny name L3-37.

Lando : Do you want anything?
L3-37 : Equal rights?

Good movie, worth watching probably more than once, just to get all details.

8/10

@Gimbal, glad you also liked Hitman's Bodyguard. I can just imagine what threat we are in with second movie.
Anubis is offline  
Old 17 September 2018, 16:11   #2265
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 12,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I heard mixed messages about movie and wanted to check how bad really can be. It ended up to be much better then what I was expecting to be. It has old 80's movie charm while effects and visuals are up to date with today's technology. Characters are really well selected and they complement SW universe.
I also watched "Solo: A Star Wars Story" on Saturday night and thought it was quite good
DamienD is offline  
Old 17 September 2018, 16:40   #2266
Ian
Global Moderator

Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Derby, UK
Age: 40
Posts: 2,141
The Solo actor though has all the charisma of a cucumber. 100% wrong choice. Copied hans mannerisms pretty much spot on, just not 'cool enough to pull any of it off.

Bearing in mind this would be when han was at his cocksure best.

Other than that the film was a lot better than the pre film hype suggested. Ron Howard to the rescue. Would love to see him being given a trilogy and not Johnson.
Ian is offline  
Old 17 September 2018, 17:23   #2267
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 46
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The Solo actor though has all the charisma of a cucumber. 100% wrong choice. Copied hans mannerisms pretty much spot on, just not 'cool enough to pull any of it off.

Bearing in mind this would be when han was at his cocksure best.

Other than that the film was a lot better than the pre film hype suggested. Ron Howard to the rescue. Would love to see him being given a trilogy and not Johnson.

I actually think he did play well fail scumbag he tried to portrait. Probably has the same ego issues like Ford.


Tell you the truth, I can't think of an actor I would rather see play Han.


Interestingly this is second SF movie in past year people main complain is about main male actor. (Valerian being other movie)
Anubis is offline  
Old 17 September 2018, 18:21   #2268
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel
gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,093
Good question, who should play a young Han. Probably the same actor who should have played Valerian Need to think about that one.
gimbal is offline  
Old 17 September 2018, 18:55   #2269
Ian
Global Moderator

Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Derby, UK
Age: 40
Posts: 2,141
I reckon Ansel Elgort, baby driver etc. would've been a good shout.

But whats done is done. Quite telling that Alden was sent to acting lessons during the shoot lol, shame they didn't do it with Hayden when he stunk up episode 2 and 3 (although 3 wasn't that bad)
Ian is offline  
Old 19 September 2018, 14:04   #2270
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 46
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I reckon Ansel Elgort, baby driver etc. would've been a good shout.
That would be probably more interesting movie...

Last edited by Anubis; 21 September 2018 at 17:36.
Anubis is offline  
Old 21 September 2018, 13:19   #2271
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel
gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,093
Yeah that's a good choice for a young punk.
gimbal is offline  
Old 21 September 2018, 15:24   #2272
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 12,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
No Country For Old Men. This movie gave me some Blade Runner vibes. Really slow, not much story... but stunning and thrilling nonetheless. Absolutely my favorite performance of Javier Bardem, who plays a character creepier and deadlier than even Hannibal Lecter. This one's a must-see. 8.5/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yeah great movie, need to see this again as it must have a decade ago when I watched this
...so was bored last night and decided to watch this again; great movie.

Javier Bardem is awesome in this and truly psycho; that sceen with the Gas Station attendant
DamienD is offline  
Old 27 September 2018, 22:14   #2273
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel
gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,093
Hardcore Henry. A really over the top movie shot entirely in first person, making the entire movie more shaky cam than the average Bourne action sequence. Lacking almost any story, its an adrenaline chase/parcour flick that kind of made me think of Mirror's Edge here and there. But it has crude humor, gore, really fast action sequences and Sharlto Copley who is really giving it 110%. Great movie! For one time viewing, and I hope they don't make more action movies like this. The one is enough, thank you.

Also: a really satisfying ending, for a change. I almost said FUNK YES! right before the credits rolled.

7/10

Last edited by gimbal; 27 September 2018 at 22:21.
gimbal is offline  
Old 28 September 2018, 13:23   #2274
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 46
Posts: 2,444
It is showing up on my list, but never gave it a go.
Anubis is offline  
Old 28 September 2018, 13:50   #2275
haps
Rumpig

haps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The bottom of the bottle
Age: 2
Posts: 183
I've had Henry in the buffer for ages but keep skipping it. Might have to give it a go.
haps is offline  
Old 28 September 2018, 16:46   #2276
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel
gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,093
Same here, it was basically the movie I picked because I had nothing else interesting to watch. Which made it a pleasant surprise that it was so entertaining. Actually, I'd call this the most successful game adaptation in movie history, except that it isn't based on an existing game franchise.
gimbal is offline  
Old 28 September 2018, 19:47   #2277
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 56
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Same here, it was basically the movie I picked because I had nothing else interesting to watch. Which made it a pleasant surprise that it was so entertaining. Actually, I'd call this the most successful game adaptation in movie history, except that it isn't based on an existing game franchise.
Correct, it's based on the game Genre but it was fun to watch, have caught it a couple of times on cable, either Showtime or HBO.
jmmijo is offline  
Old 03 October 2018, 00:45   #2278
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel
gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,093
Idocracy.

Hey there folks, whaaaaaat's happening. It is no secret I love Office Space, created by Mike Judge of Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill fame. The movie has pretty much grown into what can be seen as a comical documentary as many see their own daily life in the movie. I can watch that movie whenever wherever, love it. And I'm happy my life does not resemble anything in the movie at all

So Idiocracy is another Mike Judge movie and again tries to portray a part of civilization, cast into the far future this time, in a comical but exaggerated version of the truth; pretty much a society of idiots as our phones, social media and the web are making us devolve into today. Idiocracy portrays a possible society as ours may develop into over time - nothing left but really dumb idiots and a barren world where drinking water has been replaced by Gatorade. It follows the journey of two people of our present time, not too intelligent themselves, to end up in that future and basically become the smartest people on earth. That does not work out too well for them, as it turns out.

Where Office Space has quite clever satirical humor intermixed with only a few crude jokes delivered by really memorable characters, this movie goes full retard. And I gotta say... I don't like it. It is purposely too dumb all the time and that drags so, soooo quickly as there is no place for the satire to shine through anymore, its just so over the top and in your face about it I wouldn't blame you for feeling offended. Not even Terry Crews as the president can save it as he too just has a really dumb character which ultimately just fizzles out his comedic delivery.

Big nope for me, and it's a shame

4.5/10
gimbal is offline  
Old 03 October 2018, 00:53   #2279
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 56
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Idocracy.

Hey there folks, whaaaaaat's happening. It is no secret I love Office Space, created by Mike Judge of Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill fame. The movie has pretty much grown into what can be seen as a comical documentary as many see their own daily life in the movie. I can watch that movie whenever wherever, love it. And I'm happy my life does not resemble anything in the movie at all

So Idiocracy is another Mike Judge movie and again tries to portray a part of civilization, cast into the far future this time, in a comical but exaggerated version of the truth; pretty much a society of idiots as our phones, social media and the web are making us devolve into today. Idiocracy portrays a possible society as ours may develop into over time - nothing left but really dumb idiots and a barren world where drinking water has been replaced by Gatorade. It follows the journey of two people of our present time, not too intelligent themselves, to end up in that future and basically become the smartest people on earth. That does not work out too well for them, as it turns out.

Where Office Space has quite clever satirical humor intermixed with only a few crude jokes delivered by really memorable characters, this movie goes full retard. And I gotta say... I don't like it. It is purposely too dumb all the time and that drags so, soooo quickly as there is no place for the satire to shine through anymore, its just so over the top and in your face about it I wouldn't blame you for feeling offended. Not even Terry Crews as the president can save it as he too just has a really dumb character which ultimately just fizzles out his comedic delivery.

Big nope for me, and it's a shame

4.5/10
But, but, but....It's got what people crave
jmmijo is offline  
Old 03 October 2018, 01:01   #2280
BullyDog
Registered User

BullyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas USA
Age: 68
Posts: 105
Idiocracy is closer to the truth than I would care to admit, what with the dumbing down of the population.

Even the idiots have degrees and that bothers me. I dropped out of high school, later got my GED and went to college but dropped out and made my living as a mechanic.

Naturally I have a strong quest for knowledge that I read manuals rather than the comics. Non-fiction rather than fiction too. I'm a lot smarter than these bozos with degrees.

Mind you, there are those who went to college and learned so they are smarter than me.
BullyDog is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skweek discussions with Laurent Arditi (was: IPad/Iphone owners, HOL needs you) lilalurl Amiga scene 25 01 October 2012 21:08
Japanese Console/Computer RPG discussions Retro-Nerd Retrogaming General Discussion 2 02 April 2009 02:32
Given the recent Scanlines discussions... DamienD request.UAE Wishlist 26 26 April 2007 18:36
Batman The Movie Malc support.Games 30 13 February 2006 02:52

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.15330 seconds with 15 queries