English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 July 2018, 19:05   #121
RoC

Fleafpga ohm minimig

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigamia View Post
Hi all, I have had one of these Flea Ohm FPGA from the Indiegogo campaign for a while and never had a chance to try it out. I finally got all the required adapters and I am very impressed by the size and what it can do. I have posted a small video to show it in action:

[ Show youtube player ]

Now, I would like to see a Commodore 64 core ported to it

Well done

I am still struggling with setting up mine: Admittently I haven't dedicated enough time to it, however I am stuck at the bold blue screen. I suspect the PS2 adapters are not working well or I am simply not using the right files.

Could you please confirm you have two files in the SD to start with? Am I missing some of them..?

• kick.rom
  • OSD_CA01.sys

Last edited by RoC; 19 July 2018 at 13:12.
Old 16 July 2018, 19:47   #122
amigamia

Yes those are the files I have on the SD card. Make sure it is a valid kickstart file image.

As for the PS/2 ports they are finicky and I can say I had to play with them a little. In the end, the best solution was to use a true PS/2 KB and PS/2 Mouse connected with USB To PS/2 adapter + microUSB to USB Type A (Found all on Amazon). I am very pleased with this little card. It needs some expansions over the GPIO for Joysticks
Old 16 July 2018, 21:39   #123
RoC

Quote:
Yes those are the files I have on the SD card. Make sure it is a valid kickstart file image.

As for the PS/2 ports they are finicky and I can say I had to play with them a little. In the end, the best solution was to use a true PS/2 KB and PS/2 Mouse connected with USB To PS/2 adapter + microUSB to USB Type A (Found all on Amazon). I am very pleased with this little card. It needs some expansions over the GPIO for Joysticks

Thanks for confirming that files look ok, I am going to test some other adapter/keyboard then
Old 17 July 2018, 10:03   #124
basman74

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
I am still struggling with setting up mine: Admittently I have dedicated enough time to it, however I am stuck at the bold blue screen. I suspect the PS2 adapters are not working well or I am simply not using the right files.
If you are still stuck at the same minimig blue boot screen, this suggests a problem with either the files on the SD card or some issue with your SD card itself. Nothing to do with PS/2 in the problem you've described. If your SD card was successfully accessed by minimig upon boot, you can have all PS/2 devices disconnected and still be able to boot the kickstart ROM image from the SD card...

Some things to check beforehand:
- Is your SD card of SDHC type with 4GB or more? I have tested minimig/Ohm with 4/8/16GB SDHC cards here and all seem to work correctly.
- Make sure it is formatted in FAT32 as that is what works for me.
- Make sure there are no white-spaces in the filenames of the needed SD card boot files for Minimig-Ohm.
- Minimig boot file seek routine is not case sensitive AFAICT

Ok, here's something to try: Format your SDHC card and copy only the OSD_CA01.sys file to the SD card. Insert the card into your FleaFPGA Ohm board and then apply power. You should see a "Fatal error: 6" message on screen. This means the Kickstart ROM file image was not found (ie kick.rom). This is normal and expected behaviour (and basically only one step away from booting minimig on FleaFPGA Ohm...). Do you see the abovementioned error message? If the answer is 'Yes', copy the remaining file to the SDHC card and try again.

Hope this helps,
Valentin
Old 17 July 2018, 20:30   #125
kolla
Banned

I too have had too little time to play with my ohms, sigh
Did someone make an add-on board for minimig-use, to ease on the need for adapters etc?
Old 17 July 2018, 20:44   #126
Anubis
Retro Gamer

How can you get one today?
Old 17 July 2018, 21:42   #127
RoC

Quote:
Originally Posted by basman74 View Post

Hope this helps,

Valentin

It does help! Thanks for suggesting the troubleshooting steps, I am going to try to make it work
Old 19 July 2018, 13:09   #128
RoC

Quote:
Originally Posted by basman74 View Post
If you are still stuck at the same minimig blue boot screen, this suggests a problem with either the files on the SD card or some issue with your SD card itself.
Hope this helps,

Valentin
Hi Valentin,

Many thanks for your help, I managed to make the FleaFPGA loading the OCS bootfile and get the KS 1.3 screen

There has been a problem with the OSD file that I have downloaded from robinsonb5 instead from your Basman74 Github page. Stupid me.

Now the further step. I have been testing two PS/2 keyboards with all the possible combinations (an USB hub in the middle, connect the PS/2-USB adapater directly to the FleaFPGA, only keyboard, both mouse and keyboard, swapping FleaFPGA USB ports, etc..). One of them is the true PS2 keyb that I use with other FPGA cards such the Minimig.

Just to understand if I am doing something wrong again, this is the picture of the most simple of the combinations I tried (true PS/2 keyb, PS/2-USB purple adapter and USB-miniUSB cord)

I supect that either the UBS-PS2 or the USB-MiniUSB is not right.

Any idea what I could test next? Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	FleaFPGA.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	58922

Last edited by RoC; 19 July 2018 at 14:59.
Old 19 July 2018, 13:37   #129
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Is it possible to buy FleaFPGA or not?
Old 19 July 2018, 13:57   #130
RoC

Quote:

Thanks for the help

Last edited by RoC; 19 July 2018 at 14:58.
Old 19 July 2018, 14:02   #131
RoC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Is it possible to buy FleaFPGA or not?

Valentin is the best person to ask. Akisa said earlier in this thread that another batch is not planned.

For ~40 euro + shipment this is a (very) good value for money. I regret not buying an additional one, because I would use the second for alternative cores.
In case he would go for another batch, I will buy another one too.

Last edited by RoC; 19 July 2018 at 14:58.
Old 19 July 2018, 15:04   #132
happymondays

This is a great device, I love it. There is only one thing I am yet to do, make a joystick port for it, but I already ordered the necessary components. Until then, just to try some joystick controllable games while stuff arrives from far away, could anyone please suggest a USB gamepad that might work "out of the box"? Maybe I have it at home (I have a lot of them).
Old 19 July 2018, 16:03   #133
amigamia

Has anyone managed to load Workbench 3.1 or ClassicWB on it? I tried the LITE edition of ClassisWB, which seems to work if I set the alpha 68020 from OSD but icons are all with missing pixels, etc.
Old 19 July 2018, 16:03   #134
amigamia

Quote:
Thanks for the help

Old 19 July 2018, 16:24   #135
amigamia

Quote:
Hi Valentin,

Many thanks for your help, I managed to make the FleaFPGA loading the OCS bootfile and get the KS 1.3 screen

There has been a problem with the OSD file that I have downloaded from robinsonb5 instead from your Basman74 Github page. Stupid me.

Now the further step. I have been testing two PS/2 keyboards with all the possible combinations (an USB hub in the middle, connect the PS/2-USB adapater directly to the FleaFPGA, only keyboard, both mouse and keyboard, swapping FleaFPGA USB ports, etc..). One of them is the true PS2 keyb that I use with other FPGA cards such the Minimig.

Just to understand if I am doing something wrong again, this is the picture of the most simple of the combinations I tried (true PS/2 keyb, PS/2-USB purple adapter and USB-miniUSB cord)

I supect that either the UBS-PS2 or the USB-MiniUSB is not right.

Any idea what I could test next? Thanks

Attachment 58922

That should have worked for you as long as that is connected to USB2 port according to the hardware specifications stated here: https://github.com/Basman74/Minimig_...tup_README.pdf

I would test the cables (miniUSB to USB & PS/2 adapter & PS/2 KB) on another system to make sure they are fully functional. Also, when you power the Flea Ohm on, the PS/2 KB should flash the LEDs for Num-lock, Caps Lock, Scree-Lock, that will indicate it has initialized. Another thing to check is the Power applied to it, make sure to read the PDF here: https://github.com/Basman74/FleaFPGA...Rev%200.11.pdf
Old 19 July 2018, 16:30   #136
happymondays

Quote:
Has anyone managed to load Workbench 3.1 or ClassicWB on it? I tried the LITE edition of ClassisWB, which seems to work if I set the alpha 68020 from OSD but icons are all with missing pixels, etc.

Basic Wb3.1 should work fine if you have a 3.1 kickstart rom, although ClassicWB might have some features that won't, especially if you want to use certain features that require AGA, but you can choose to install ECS version of ClassicWb, if I remember well.
Old 19 July 2018, 17:20   #137
amigamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymondays View Post
Basic Wb3.1 should work fine if you have a 3.1 kickstart rom, although ClassicWB might have some features that won't, especially if you want to use certain features that require AGA, but you can choose to install ECS version of ClassicWb, if I remember well.

Yup, the LITE version of ClassicWB is for ECS systems but maybe I shouldn't have enabled all the features it wants to turn on. I'll give it one more try and post a pic
Old 20 July 2018, 08:52   #138
Higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymondays View Post
This is a great device, I love it. There is only one thing I am yet to do, make a joystick port for it, but I already ordered the necessary components. Until then, just to try some joystick controllable games while stuff arrives from far away, could anyone please suggest a USB gamepad that might work "out of the box"? Maybe I have it at home (I have a lot of them).

USB gamepads will not work.
You have to use PS/2 compatible keyboard/mouse and wire in a standard AMIGA joystick into the GPIO ports.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:58   #139
Higgy

@roc - I have my Flea in a project box, but I have my original MicroUSB-PS/2 adaptor I made. If your interested I can take some pictures and I could post it to Italy for certainly under 10 euros.

(it is 2 short microUSB cables feeding onto a small piece of circuit board with 2 PS/2 sockets).
Old 20 July 2018, 13:11   #140
RoC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
@roc - I have my Flea in a project box, but I have my original MicroUSB-PS/2 adaptor I made. If your interested I can take some pictures and I could post it to Italy for certainly under 10 euros.

(it is 2 short microUSB cables feeding onto a small piece of circuit board with 2 PS/2 sockets).

Sounds a cool idea, because they are tested to work with the card ;-) I ended up thinking that some of my adapters are dodgy.

I can pay through Paypal or bank transfer, just PM the details.

By the way, you mention a project box. Is that a case for the FleaFPGA?

If I understand well, you made it for you, however if you would be willing to make another one I would be a potential customer