English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 May 2018, 20:45   #241
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Got time to play some more. I understand what you wrote in post #190 about how the bonus levels works. But don't understand how the normal levels works. Is the levels loaded randomly? Round 40 and 41 looks exactly the same (see screenshot 1). Guess this is no bug and is also how the Arcade version works?

Is there any ending to this or have you seen it all after 20 rounds? This page says the game has 63 rounds, but the video I linked to in my previous post shows 99 levels before loops back to round 1.

Also noticed that round 21 has no number? (screenshot 2).
Thanks for playing the game.

You will only experience a beer round every 6th round, so depending on your bonus you achieved the previous 5 rounds you will either...
  • play a normal round as was in the arcade (with under 50,000 bonus)
  • play a beer round which I created (with over 50,000 bonus)

The beer edition has 126 rounds and is faithful to the arcade, could be a mistake I made on rounds 20/21 though. If you can get to level 126 on three lives then you're probably using a trainer

The reason for the beer edition rounds is to encourage people to play the game properly and get the bombs in order and ultimately achieve a hi-score.

If you get the top bonus for example every round 1-5 you will go to the Big Ben round where each bomb is worth 5,000 x multiplier. I see a lot of videos where people just play Bomb Jack, don't collect the bombs in any order and then wonder what the fuss is about the game.

The game has no randomness at all - it never generates a random number so it is entirely possible to become very skillfull at the game.

Thanks,
Geezer
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 May 2018, 21:10   #242
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

126 rounds

That will take some time to play through. Not sure if I'm motivated to play all these if there are only 20 levels you have to play 6 times. And let me guess.. no award (ending) after 126 rounds?

I'm recording a video and got all 23 firebombs in order on all levels so far
Old 14 May 2018, 21:20   #243
mcgeezer

Quote:
126 rounds

And let me guess.. no award (ending) after 126 rounds?

I'm recording a video and got all 23 firebombs in order on all levels so far
I think it's sufficient to play up to round 32....

After round 126... errr... the game will... well, I never even got that far, the game will loop at round 63 but the enemies will just get harder and harder.

16 difficulties in the enemies too... after 10 it's close to impossible to do a level without dying.

As I said though - the beauty of Bomb Jack is in achieving a hi-score.
Old 14 May 2018, 21:52   #244
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Yes, upload it to the Aminet please. Easy to find then.
This is not good idea. Perhaps Bomb Jack graphics can be still copyrighted. And mcgeezer can has same problems like Hipoonios with Smurf game.
Old 15 May 2018, 00:24   #245
fierman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Does anyone else have any opinions on this? I thought long and hard about it before I released the betas back in January.
Smurfs was a problem not because of copyright, but because of trademark. The brand Smurfs is worth a lot of $, and the licenseholders are vigorously defending it. That case has nothing to do with copyright at all.

The case of graphics in BombJack is a completely different one. Technically they _are_ copyrighted, but the chance of getting in legal troubles over those is almost 0. For the rest your version of BombJack is 100% legal: the code is yours, and stuff like 'gameplay' and 'look&feel' are outside the scope of copyright.

(see also https://copyrightalliance.org/ca_faq...ent-trademark/ )

Very nice work on your game btw. Enjoy it very much!
Old 15 May 2018, 02:36   #246
hexaae

Quote:
Could you tell me what this means? I know Aminet has lots of Amiga packages but are you saying I should upload it to there?

I'll do it if it has a benefit of some kind to the community.
Sure: Aminet is the official (?) Amiga repository. All Amiga users use Aminet, so BJBE will be much easier to find. They do backups and it can preserve your game also for the future, when links will be unavailable and these threads abandoned
Old 15 May 2018, 02:42   #247
Kitty
Can’t rain all the time..

Can someone make a hard drive version, so we can use that lovely icon that hexaae made
Old 15 May 2018, 18:18   #248
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
This is pretty damn good. Just added it to DD`s Winuae setup. Funnily enough I went ahead and played the Elite version. Fuck me that`s terrible :/

well done geezer
Old 15 May 2018, 19:02   #249
hexaae

Definitely requires a WHDLoad because is very unstable here on my emulated WB with 040, even if I degrade WinUAE disabling cachesize 0 etc.
After I launch it from shell (WB3.9) the game sometimes starts automatically and quits right after to WB. Some others everything runs too fast and hangs...
Old 15 May 2018, 19:10   #250
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Have now played 63 levels. I think that is more enough
Quote:
The beer edition has 126 rounds and is faithful to the arcade, could be a mistake I made on rounds 20/21 though.
Geezer
Got this level again on round 51 and no number. So think the number is never displayed for this level.

Just for fun. In this order I got the levels:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bomb jack levels.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	58217  
Old 15 May 2018, 19:56   #251
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
Sure: Aminet is the official (?) Amiga repository. All Amiga users use Aminet
Not really, I never quite liked Aminet.
However Bombjack Beer has no webpage and that makes it a bit harder. The URL that probably points to mcgeezer's computer is far from ideal.

Hey mcgeezer, how about hosting a little page for it (and maybe your future projects?) here in Abime? I recently moved my software to it and am very happy to be part of the family.
RCK can set it all up for you if you request it.
Old 15 May 2018, 20:43   #252
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
Definitely requires a WHDLoad because is very unstable here on my emulated WB with 040, even if I degrade WinUAE disabling cachesize 0 etc.
After I launch it from shell (WB3.9) the game sometimes starts automatically and quits right after to WB. Some others everything runs too fast and hangs...
Are you able to send me a WinUAE save state so I can debug it? Or send me your configuration that I can use to replicate?

Quote:
Have now played 63 levels. I think that is more enough

Got this level again on round 51 and no number. So think the number is never displayed for this level.

Just for fun. In this order I got the levels:
That's dedication! The round number is actually displayed - it's just Black.... that's a bug on the Penshaw scene. I knew I should have put the trainer checksums in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Not really, I never quite liked Aminet.

Hey mcgeezer, how about hosting a little page for it (and maybe your future projects?) here in Abime? I recently moved my software to it and am very happy to be part of the family.
RCK can set it all up for you if you request it.
I dunno mate, I could easily do it and would be happy to host it myself, i'd have to think about content but I'm really keen on doing a "Making an Amiga game in assembler" tutorial series.

I'll have a think.
Old 16 May 2018, 15:34   #253
hexaae

Quote:
Are you able to send me a WinUAE save state so I can debug it? Or send me your configuration that I can use to replicate?
https://www.sendspace.com/file/no56t0 here are a pair of cfg I use (4.0.0 is the one I use with latest WinUAE 4 beta).
I use an advanced WB3.9 with Picasso gfx card emulation, not usual AGA/ECS minimal boot config…
If you need I can give you a link to my full Hdfile from my OneDrive to fully replicate the system and boot from my env.
With both UAE cfgs I've noticed some issues with screen opening/initialization and joystick/keyboard inputs… for example I've noticed that if launched from shell when I type some text in game, I can find the typed chars in the shell on quit (?!).

Last edited by hexaae; 16 May 2018 at 15:47.
Old 18 May 2018, 18:10   #254
AMIGASYSTEM

Created an Icon Dual-PNG (double-sided) for Bomb Jack Beer Edition

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 June 2018 at 16:14.
Old 27 May 2018, 23:13   #255
mcgeezer

I see the Bomb Jack audio is getting a kicking down at the C64 Lemon forums, them C64 fan boys don't half have a chip on their shoulder.
Old 28 May 2018, 00:02   #256
DamienD
Global Moderator

Don't worry about negative comments from FOOLS my friend; they have no idea and could never EVER produce something as awesome.

Your game absolutely rocks!!!

...it's even more special when you consider that you've taught yourself everything in a very short period of time and only just got back into coding.
Old 28 May 2018, 01:27   #257
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I see the Bomb Jack audio is getting a kicking down at the C64 Lemon forums, them C64 fan boys don't half have a chip on their shoulder.
It's probably because they get "their" newer DX version later, even if the C64 development started much earlier than yours.
Old 28 May 2018, 06:59   #258
Steril707
OCS rocks!

I have to admit though, that I think that two of the tracks in BJ-BE feel a bit "off" to me as well.

The compositions are well done and recreate the original tunes as you are used to, but I cannot shake of the feeling that some of the tones in those two tracks are not in the right pitch.
Old 30 May 2018, 19:33   #259
mcgeezer

I've had time today to implement the full fix for the game crashing when using accelerators (it was my stupid blitter code)

http://109.228.4.199/bombjack_final_aga.adf

Also included is the hi-score saves for CD32 systems, it will save 80 bytes into the NVRAM. Also on CD32 you can press the Green button to pause the game.

All other aspects of the game are the same as the previous release so you only need to use this one if you use a CD32 or accelerators. Therefore the game is now fully OCS/ECS/AGA compatible with all 1mb Amigas.

Hurray .... onto the next project (after the World cup and holidays of course)

Enjoy.

Geezer
Old 30 May 2018, 19:38   #260
vulture

Thumbs up!
AdSense AdSense