English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 09 March 2018, 02:33   #2141
haps
Rumpig

Another one bored of silly comic book movies, at least they aren't as bad as that Fast & Furious shite though. Just like the music industry, 90% of what comes out of Hollywood is crap produced to entertain the mindless sheeples.

Looking forward to watching Darkest Hour tonight.

Watched Brain Dead last night (called 'Dead Alive' in America), one of Peter Jacksons first movies. I watched it at the local 'underground' cinema when it was first released and had a good laugh. Had a good laugh watching it last night as well. Definitely worth a viewing if you haven't seen it before and even a re-watch if you have. And if you haven't seen Jackson's two other classics 'Bad Taste' and 'Meet the Feebles', then you really should do yourself a favor and see them.
Old 11 March 2018, 00:55   #2142
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
Watched Brain Dead last night (called 'Dead Alive' in America), one of Peter Jacksons first movies. I watched it at the local 'underground' cinema when it was first released and had a good laugh. Had a good laugh watching it last night as well. Definitely worth a viewing if you haven't seen it before and even a re-watch if you have. And if you haven't seen Jackson's two other classics 'Bad Taste' and 'Meet the Feebles', then you really should do yourself a favor and see them.
I hope you saw the uncensored version which has an additional "baby scene" which is just... something you have to see. God I love this movie! "I kick arse in the name of the lord" - not even Duke Nukem comes up with a line like that.
Old 11 March 2018, 08:55   #2143
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I hope you saw the uncensored version which has an additional "baby scene" which is just... something you have to see. God I love this movie! "I kick arse in the name of the lord" - not even Duke Nukem comes up with a line like that.
Yep. Saw the uncensored back when it was released and the copy I watched the other night was uncensored as well.
Old 11 March 2018, 22:35   #2144
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Last film I watched was Liquid Sky (1982) (Blu-ray)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085852/

Very stylish film with fantastic cinematography. The story line is a little bonkers but it all makes sense in the end

I also watched the latest re-incarnation of Robocop (2014)... really don't know why I bothered although it is better than Robocop 3 I suppose.
Old 12 March 2018, 00:16   #2145
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I also watched the latest re-incarnation of Robocop (2014)... really don't know why I bothered although it is better than Robocop 3 I suppose.
Yeah well get ready as there is allegedly a new one in the pipeline which is going to retcon all movies except the first one. But if it's going to be an R-rated Robocop I'm interested I guess, it remains a cool character. I just don't really have love for the new tendency to create alternative continuities... you just don't salvage train wrecks by wrecking a train.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...-sequel-works/
Old 13 March 2018, 21:07   #2146
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Saw The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976) - some good ol' humor and fun. I still can watch them and laugh, even I saw those movies hundred of times...

7 / 10
Old 14 March 2018, 02:44   #2147
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Saw The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976) - some good ol' humor and fun. I still can watch them and laugh, even I saw those movies hundred of times...

7 / 10
Pink Panther movies were great. Never watched the remake, Steve Martin could never come anywhere near the brilliance of Sellers, I'm surprised he had the gall to even attempt it.
Old 14 March 2018, 11:08   #2148
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Meh, he was alright. Better than the "Son of the Pink Panther" in between, that's for sure. Its not so much anything to do with him, when they revive old movies like that it just turns into something of 21st-century standards. I.E.: lacking any classic movie making qualities.

That's why I was really surprised by the classic quality of the recent Murder on the Orient Express and I'm stoked that there is going to be a follow up, Death on the Nile.
Old 14 March 2018, 17:22   #2149
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

It was very sad that Seller died few years after making that movie, and IMHO Martin just did not fit into this role.

I haven't seen new Murder on the Orient Express, this is good reminder to place a hold on that movie. Have 2 movies at home atm to watch this weekend - new Blade Runner and Bad Moms - Christmas (something) for my wife.
Old 15 March 2018, 02:25   #2150
haps
Rumpig

Was going to give Orient Express a miss, but I might have to give it a watch now since it has received the gimbal seal of approval.
Old 15 March 2018, 11:16   #2151
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
Was going to give Orient Express a miss, but I might have to give it a watch now since it has received the gimbal seal of approval.
Seal of approval does not begin to cover it.

But at the same time I'm the dude that actually enjoys Turtles and Transformers movies
Old 19 March 2018, 11:53   #2152
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Thor: Ragnarok

I didn't like the first two Thor movies too much; Ragnarok on the other hand is one of the top-tier movies of the Marvel universe. Humor sets the tone of this entry and that hides the basic facts that this is yet another CGI-fest with an "even BIGGER baddies are coming to destroy Asgard" story line. The entire style is just awesome with a nice retro layer. There is a nice selection of actors who really get into the skins of their characters. Special kudos to Jef Goldblum for being the weirdest of the weirdos in a good way.

The only odd one out: Loki. Over the course of the franchise this character has been thrown around so much you just don't know what to think of him anymore. Is he bad? Is he good? The movie doesn't care, he's both and the triggers for him to switch mood are poorly written. But meh, it doesn't really matter. His character still makes for some of the more memorable scenes in the movie.

TL;DR: funny, colorful, great characters, a retro style that feels like a warm and comfortable sweater. Even if you're completely done with Marvel superhero stuff at this point, which I can fully understand, don't give this one a miss.

7.5/10
Old 19 March 2018, 14:32   #2153
Ian
Global Moderator

He's the god of Mischief, he's neither good or bad.

If he was your child, you would often refer to him as a little shit, but still love him.
Old 19 March 2018, 20:31   #2154
haps
Rumpig

Annihilation

When I first saw a couple of scenes from this on a silly gaming show called ScreenPlay it made me think of Roadside Picnic and I was hoping for a surreal thought provoking experience. It started out interesting but unfortunately went downhill very quickly. The group selected to enter the 'Shimmer' makes little sense and everything that happens between them entering and the final scenes is little more than one banal scene after another, some of them so cringe-worthy that it was a struggle to keep watching. The writers really missed the mark with this one, so much unrealized potential. I should have realized anything recommended by one of the stooges hosting this silly game show would not meet expectations.

3/10

Last edited by haps; 19 March 2018 at 20:38.
Old 20 March 2018, 17:39   #2155
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

As planned, I've seen 2 movies past weekend.

A bad moms Christmas (2017) - If you've seen first Bad moms movie, then you know what to expect, and this was no different. Couple funny moments, Disney kid swearing and you forget you watch it right through middle of credits for movie.
4.5 / 10

And second movie was quite opposite, well made and well acted and very enjoyable movie. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) offers a lot, character emotional roll coaster is well played and what makes it different from other sequels, it complement original movie.
I will probably see it one more time later, and I do suggest to watch it.

9.5 / 10
Old 24 March 2018, 20:35   #2156
DamienD
Global Moderator

As I was bored last night and needed a break from Amiga stuff, watched "Blade Runner 2049" again for the 3rd time (1st time was in the cinema when it came out; totally blew me away)...

Still my movie of 2017; sooooo good
Old 02 April 2018, 02:10   #2157
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Justice League.

Not bad, but also not good. Just an Avengers team with bullshit powers, except for Batman who has no real power at all, only gadgets. The movie is about an invasion by a legion of strong aliens led by a super villain named Steppenwolf (who?) and the Justice League has to stop them :/ Sound familiar? Steppenwolf's voice actor is really good I must say. That's the only good thing I have to say about that character.

Its quite humorous here and there, and that's about as much entertainment as you can get from this really shallow excuse of a rip-off which progresses exactly nothing in the DC shared universe. Its really time for a proper Joker-focused movie already, this just keeps dragging on with lame movie after lame movie.

5/10
Old 02 April 2018, 03:59   #2158
haps
Rumpig

After the abysmal effort that was Wonder Woman, the only thought I would give to JL is if it would be able to put me asleep just as quick. :P

Watched Orient Express the other day and I must say Gimbal, you where spot on. It was excellent, can't wait for Murder on the Nile.
Old 03 April 2018, 12:07   #2159
malko

Watched the complete serie of "The escape artist" ("Perfect crime" in French).
It's just excellent !
Old 05 April 2018, 11:45   #2160
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The Godfather. 9/10

Yeah not a new movie but when you watch something stuffy you have to watch something good to compensate As recent posts have lamented that is hard to do with something new and fresh so I tend to reach back to the classics.