English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 November 2017, 17:16   #1
Sim085

Can A1200 IDE support 2 CF Cards?

Hello, I was wondering, if I buy an IDE to Dual CF Card can I connect 2 CF cards to the A1200 at the same time? and for example I have workbench on one CF card and the other CF card is used for data? Or this is not supported?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 November 2017, 17:22   #2
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

It works but you must set one to master and the other to slave. Also the master drive must have OS on the DH0 partition and it should be set to bootable. The slave CF drive partitions must also be formatted to Amiga DOS specifications.
Old 07 November 2017, 17:56   #3
Daedalus

The thing is, the CF cards themselves have to support master/slave operation; some don't. If they do, they can be used pretty much as standard hard drives, so yes, have your system on one and data on the other. However, while it's normal to have DH0: as the boot partition, this is not necessary. The boot partition can be anywhere in the first 4GB of any drive accessible from cold (master or slave), and it can have any device handler designation (DH1:, HD2:, IDH3: etc.). The partition to boot from should be marked as bootable, and if more than one is marked bootable, the boot priority will determine which one is used.
Old 07 November 2017, 18:43   #4
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

@Daedalus, Thanks for mentioning that some don't work. I was always thinking that the adapters I was using cause these issues.

Do you have any answers to why some work and some don't? Also that booting priority you mentioned, isn't that used when multiple OS's are installed?
Old 07 November 2017, 18:58   #5
jPV

Yeah, Amiga's partitioning system is very flexible if hardware itself doesn't set limits. There definitely isn't much "must have" things.

You can have several boot partitions, both CF cards could be bootable or contain several bootable partitions. You can set boot priorities in which order they are tried to boot, or you can override it by selecting the boot partition manually from the early startup menu. And of course just one boot partition is enough too even if you have multiple drives.

And partition's device or volume name doesn't matter at all, the device name for a bootable partition doesn't have to be DH0:, it could be BEER: or chicks: too. It's just official "style guide" thing to have it as DH0:.
Old 07 November 2017, 18:59   #6
Daedalus

Master/slave operation needs the cooperation of both devices to work, and some CF cards simply don't have that functionality since they assume they're the only device connected. Which is fair enough when you think of them as memory cards and not hard drives, so it's understandable that manufacturers sometimes don't bother. Unfortunately it's not something that a manufacturer lists in its specs, so sometimes it's down to luck.

As for boot priority, that's system-wide and applies to any drives that the Amiga can read on booting, including any floppy drives, PCMCIA slots and hard drive partitions. Typically hard drive partitions start around 0 and go down, meaning that DF0: has priority, and an Amiga will boot from floppy automatically if a bootable floppy is inserted. If not, the next highest priority is checked, and so on until a bootable volume is found. This can indeed be used for different OS installs, different configurations (booting into a minimal WHDLoad front-end, or a back up mirror of your main OS install for example), and the priorities can be adjusted in HDToolbox to change the default partition.
Old 09 November 2017, 20:44   #7
kipper2k

I made an IDE-CF adapter that i can piggy back 2 cfs (master/slave). It works in an a600, a1200, Vampired a500 and cd32, i am assuming it will work in other boxes but not tried. There is no loss of data access speed. I have tried quite a few brands of CF cards and all work

Last edited by kipper2k; 09 November 2017 at 20:51.
Old 09 November 2017, 21:23   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

You could try with a CF filesystem Amiga (system), a CD Filesystem FAT32 (dati) mounted later.
Old 24 December 2017, 11:05   #9
Sim085

Does anyone know of a specific CF card model/brand which support the master/slave configuration?

I bought one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Spee...2/282708653536

I have two CF cards, both SanDisk. Both have Amiga OS3.1 installed.

What I noticed is the following;

- Both CF cards work when connected to Master slot (Slave slot empty).
- Both CF cards don't work when connected to Slave slot (boots to the insert disk screen) (Master slot empty).
- If Both CF cards connected then it boots from card in Master slot, other card in Slave slot not shown from Workbench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The thing is, the CF cards themselves have to support master/slave operation; some don't.
Old 24 December 2017, 17:33   #10
meynaf
son of 68k

I had limited success with SanDisk CF cards. While two cards did work, i could never make the slave one automount, always needed to bring it back with HdToolBox (and i have no clue why).
Old 26 December 2017, 14:56   #11
Codetsu

if card do not support master & slave
you have to use Mount file to start & mount Slave Card
Old 26 December 2017, 17:00   #12
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
If the CF card does not support a slave, you will not be able to access the slave device at all.
Old 26 December 2017, 20:04   #13
Sim085

Is this some command I type in shell?

example: mount System:

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetsu View Post
if card do not support master & slave
you have to use Mount file to start & mount Slave Card
Old 26 December 2017, 22:39   #14
daxb

With the mount command you mount not mounted devices. You can set a automount flag in HDToolbox or HDInstTools. If you leave it and boot your system you can't access the partition until you mount it. This can be done in Shell by "mount <device>" for example or via mountfile normally stored in
Code:
SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers or SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers.
If I remember right the old way was a mountlist in L dir.

In this case where the CF is not recognized as slave you can't access it. I.e. also no mount.
Old 27 December 2017, 15:30   #15
mr.micro

Unless you're using your PCMCIA slot for something else, why over complicate it with master/slave and finding specific CF cards.

If you're only using one as a system disk anyway, use a PCMCIA adapter for the data CF
Old 31 December 2017, 04:05   #16
jimbobs

PCMCIA adapter would be a lot better and far more easier
Old 03 January 2018, 22:11   #17
Sim085

Hello again, just noticed something and don't know what it means exactly. When I connect a single slot adapter the HDD light only turns on when there is hdd activity.

However when I connect the dual cf card adapter the HDD remains always on. Even when no cf card is inserted it remains on.

Does this mean anything in particular?
Old 03 January 2018, 22:46   #18
idrougge

It just means the adapter is wired the wrong way. A lot of single slot adapters are the same.
Old 03 January 2018, 23:21   #19
Sim085

Which one is wired wrongly? the single cf slot which only turns the hdd light on when there is activity?

Or the dual cf slot which has the hdd light always on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
It just means the adapter is wired the wrong way. A lot of single slot adapters are the same.
Old 04 January 2018, 02:59   #20
idrougge

The one that is always on is incorrect, since it is on when there is no activity.
AdSense AdSense