English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 13 December 2017, 21:05   #2101
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Saw The Dark Tower last night, and still lost at how to take this movie. It fails as horror, nothing not seen as action movie and only really positive side is McConaughey as evil sorcerer and Elba as Gunslinger. Whole idea and presentation made me question what made this book Bestseller. I did not read it, but this is more than laughable.

Again, not very disappointing, as I was not expecting much from this movie either. Probably would be much better movie if they opted to make R rated movie, but again, I think they were hopping to have lots of teenagers in movie theater to see this movie.

5/10

Last edited by Anubis; 15 December 2017 at 15:01.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 December 2017, 15:35   #2102
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The movie is a sequel to the books. A failed attempt, anyway Don't judge the books by this movie, I've not read them myself yet but everyone I know that has seems to love them very much.
Old 15 December 2017, 15:04   #2103
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I have no doubt that books are much better than movie, but again, whole premise seems like something already seen.

I might take this like challenge and get the books. (or at least audio books, to listen to something while driving to work )

Last night got 3 movies that I plan to watch over weekend: Big Sick, Atomic Blonde and new Transformers movie. You have to like library who can get movie faster then RedBox.
Old 17 December 2017, 21:32   #2104
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Murder on the Orient Express.

This movie is fantastic! A blast from the past, a whodunnit, an old school stylish piece of artwork shown with a true attention for detail. The visuals are stunning, the audio seems to have gotten a lot of attention to really make it pop and the actors fit their characters very well indeed. Johnny Depp for example plays an asshole American, how fitting

The highlight for me is Kenneth Branagh as Poirot - what a fantastic character. I definitely want to see more movies with this actor/director/character pairing.

Quite easily my second favorite movie of this year.

9/10
Old 20 December 2017, 15:47   #2105
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

As usual, haven't seen any of movies I got from library, instead I saw Jason Statham [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3522806/]Mechanic: Resurrection (2016)[/ur], and apart from not having plot (or having a plot that is usual for this kind of movie) this movie could be called anything - has nothing to do with original Mechanic idea and great Bronson original movie from 1972.

On positive side, there is Jessica Alba and funny looking Tommy Lee Jones.
At some point is funny that 20 people are not even scratching main character, while he kills them all..

4.5 / 10

I also saw The Great Wall and IMHO this would be good fantasy movie if it wasn't placed on earth, but rather some 'fantasy' land. Tian Jing is like live anime character, but that still does not help much with plot and idea that animals are like robots. (kind of hard to explain without giving too much information for movie) In overall, movie is bit 'too much' in size...

5.5 / 10

Last edited by Anubis; 22 December 2017 at 20:30.
Old 21 December 2017, 21:57   #2106
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi.

If you expect this movie to be a huge space opera with lots of gun fights and explosions, a whole bunch of people continuously looking like they're trying to find the question to the answer "42" and little actual plot: great, this movie will entertain you.

If you expect this movie to take the ideas implanted in your brain in the Force Awakens and expect something amazing to be done with them: full stop. Nope. Nada. All my wildest fantasies: shattered. They just... did stuff. Star Warsy stuff for sure, but by golly it reminded me of the ill-fated Matrix sequels. So much potential set up in the previous movie; will Kylo Ren be the next Darth Vader, who are Rey's parents, who is this Snoke dude, what will happen between Finn and Captain Phasma, will Luke Skywalker save the galaxy again or has he turned into a Sith on that island, etc. etc. But the sequels are overshadowed by their predecessor. All predecessors in the case of the Last Jedi and that includes Rogue One, there was just no chance for this movie to keep the... I don't want to say hype. To keep the dream going. So they just played it safe and did absolutely -nothing- special with it.

But hey: it looks and sounds like Star Wars, complaining at this point about it being Disney just giving what people want to see rather than doing something interesting is pointless. Props for some newcomers in the form of Laura Dern and Benicio Del Toro, their quirky characters are great. Also props to Daisy Ridley who is really growing to be the highlight of this trilogy. She's got Star Wars in the veins, that's for sure.

7/10
Old 22 December 2017, 14:12   #2107
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

I think it'll need an extended version released for bluray. So much stuff happened that there was no real explaination for.

While I liked the film, it did damage Star Wars for me, JJ will have a lot of crap to clear up in the final installment.

Many questions, the lack of spoiler tags (could've swore we had some though)

As a film I liked it, as a Star Wars film I am not sure.

Rian Johnson has certainly made some strange choices. Some good, most bad in my opinion. It's like he wanted to write a story that didn't really matter, but was like empire in the fact that the resistance took a pounding and it contained a training montage.

Thank god he's not having anything to do with Episode 9 anymore.

Last edited by Ian; 22 December 2017 at 14:28.
Old 24 December 2017, 17:30   #2108
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The Brothers Grimsby

I must admit I laughed, but I can't with dignity recommend this piece of filth to anyone. Its not that I was actually grossed out by it, it's just that I want to go back to a period of time where I actually would be grossed out by this. The shame that I can see this and laugh about it is too much. Just, too much.

Want an example? Okay a spoiler to know if this movie is something you should entirely avoid. At one point in time they climb into a female elephant (yes, you read that correctly). And then a male elephant approaches. You get to see everything. Everything!

-1/10

(actually: 6/10)
Old 29 December 2017, 01:24   #2109
DamienD
Global Moderator

...now that there's a decent copy (although not a BRRip) of Blade Runner 2049; I watched it again tonight from the comforts of my own home on my 50" TV

Blade Runner 2049.720p.WEB-DL.H264.AC3-EVO.mkv

Damn, what a movie!!! It really re-enforces for me personally that this is the movie of the year and not to be missed
Old 29 December 2017, 22:18   #2110
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Oh my god, what a cringe-fest episode 8 is, the "humor" was too much for me
(although that redhead getting plowed in the face during the phonecall was 10/10)

@DamienD: Thank you very much for the heads up!
Old 31 December 2017, 01:16   #2111
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Oh my god, what a cringe-fest episode 8 is, the "humor" was too much for me
The lame slapsticky humor was the least of my concerns, to be honest. It's not like the movie was riddled with jokes. After Rogue One you'd think they understood the secret though: There are always two jokes. No more, no less.

The thing is... this movie is making boatloads of money. That will trigger Disney for episode IX to be more of the same I fear :/
Old 31 December 2017, 06:52   #2112
Shoonay
Global Caturator

@gimby: yeah I know, but this is a no-spoilers thread, so, you know...
Rogue One had a series of GREAT in-world jokes, episode 7 had few good too for the most part, this one... it was closer to the cringe levels of teenage movies like Scary Movie or such.
Old 01 January 2018, 00:22   #2113
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
@gimby: yeah I know, but this is a no-spoilers thread, so, you know...
Rogue One had a series of GREAT in-world jokes, episode 7 had few good too for the most part, this one... it was closer to the cringe levels of teenage movies like Scary Movie or such.
I thought Rogue One was very good, The Last Jedi just seemed to be a killing spree of the old characters.

I didnt dislike it, just some of the things it did were questionable.
Old 01 January 2018, 04:07   #2114
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Re-watched Rogue One with the folks today actually. It gets better every time I see it. I guess nowadays I need a viewing or two before I let it just work on the senses, the first time I'm desperately looking for story and usually come out disappointed.

But today I had a proper nerd-out because Darth Vader was doing cool things and I could appreciate the beauty of the hammerhead sequence. I guess it helps that my dad is into Star Wars as well
Old 01 January 2018, 12:42   #2115
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yeah I thought Rogue One was pretty awesome; love Darth Vader at the end going crazy trying to get the Death Star plans

The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi; both average...
Old 02 January 2018, 17:30   #2116
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Week ago we saw The Last Jedi (2017) and we all loved it. It was worthy addition to SW series and shows desperate moves and trouble for rebels as well it just closed old casts fates.

My son wants to see it once more, on big screen, so we might go again.

We also have seen Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) - what a great sequal to Robin William's classic, with well formed cast that includes The Rock, Jack Black, Karen Gillan and Kevin Hart. I did not expect this movie to be good, more like one of those 'all funny things are in previews', but this movie had in store lots of good jokes and cast had really good connection to characters. This movie is worth watching on big screen.
Old 02 January 2018, 20:28   #2117
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yeah I thought Rogue One was pretty awesome; love Darth Vader at the end going crazy trying to get the Death Star plans
But as is typical of the Disney era it seems it makes no sense to the rest of the films.

He was a total bad ass at the end of Rouge One and then 5 minutes later at the start of episode 4, he's a lumbing old man barely able to walk with purpose lol
Old 03 January 2018, 00:39   #2118
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...now that there's a decent copy (although not a BRRip) of Blade Runner 2049; I watched it again tonight from the comforts of my own home on my 50" TV

Blade Runner 2049.720p.WEB-DL.H264.AC3-EVO.mkv

Damn, what a movie!!! It really re-enforces for me personally that this is the movie of the year and not to be missed
Watched it last night and was pretty disappointed by it. To be honest I wasn't expecting something as good as the original, but expected more than we got.

Wasn't a bad movie, but wasn't something I would be in a hurry to watch again. The soundtrack (if you could call it a soundtrack) was shite, the idea of the 'miracle' seemed contrived to me, and a couple of plot holes spoiled the immersion. I was actually enjoying the movie for the most part, then it lost it towards the end. It almost seemed like the producers thought it had already run long enough and decided to wrap it all up quickly.

Like I said though, not a bad movie, I would probably give it a solid 7.
Old 07 January 2018, 02:18   #2119
DamienD
Global Moderator

I just watched the remake of "It".

Not bad at all, bring on chapter 2
Old 07 January 2018, 21:35   #2120
DamienD
Global Moderator

Just watched "Amityville: The Awakening"... what a pile of poop, not in the least bit scary
AdSense AdSense