English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 August 2003, 08:15   #121
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Bump

I just played a great game on a new gaming obsession of mine, the Sharp X68000.
In my opinion, no gaming rig ever has come close to this one for sheer greatness of shooters.
Here is a shot of me playing this great game Scorpius!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scorpius.gif
Views:	590
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	5714  
Old 22 August 2003, 11:24   #122
Bloodwych

What EMU are you using Fred and what version is it?

Where did you get the disk images for the games?

I have Winx68K, ex68 and xm6 lying around but I'm not sure which to use or what the latest versions are.

Currently I have 32 games but some don't seem to work.

I agree with you that the X68000 has some great games, although Super Aleste still gets my vote as best shooter.
Old 22 August 2003, 19:04   #123
Amiga1992

go to www.jcec.co.uk for your x68k emu needs

and play ChoRenShaX68K. Fucking best shooter for the Sharpy
Old 22 August 2003, 20:31   #124
cv643d

My favorite is Do Don Pachi at the moment. I play it on MAME and on Saturn, the Saturn version is better coz emu is jerky.

Its my favorite coz you feel totally badass when you maxed out your gear and shoot down 50 enemies in a row with your totally badass laserbeam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ddp3.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	5718  
Old 22 August 2003, 22:27   #125
JudasEZT

best shootmup ever its developing nowadays for Spectrum.
here is a link to download a demo and even a development diary:

http://members.fortunecity.com/jonat...ghead/id7.html

its being coded by JonathanCauldwell, graphics by me (hello mum!) , and musix that surely will rocks by Yerz
Old 22 August 2003, 23:56   #126
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
What EMU are you using Fred and what version is it?

Where did you get the disk images for the games?

I have Winx68K, ex68 and xm6 lying around but I'm not sure which to use or what the latest versions are.

Currently I have 32 games but some don't seem to work.

I agree with you that the X68000 has some great games, although Super Aleste still gets my vote as best shooter.
Hey Bloody!
I am using 2 emulators. Win68K is the one I use, but yours must be in Japanese, because the one I use is simple! I understand your problem. Japanese computer emulators, with the exception of the MSX series, have been poorly designed or have been in programmed with Japanese GUI and interface.
These two emulators have eliminated this problem.

http://www.zophar.net/Files/winx68khighspeedv086.zip

http://www.zophar.net/Files/winx68k-065.lzh

The first link is a unofficial hack of the best emu, Win68k. The original is the best, but both are very compatable and in full english.
As for the disk images, all together, they come to less than 700 mb, easily to fit on a CD!
Old 23 August 2003, 07:00   #127
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by cv643d
you feel totally badass when you [...]shoot down 50 enemies in a row
only 50? wuss?!?! D

Old 23 August 2003, 07:22   #128
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
only 50? wuss?!?! D

I cant even get the laser power up.
I suck.
Old 23 August 2003, 09:30   #129
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Erm, you don't "get" the Laser Power-up, you always have both weapons in the game (Laser and Spread). If you hold the button, you get the laser.
Tsc tsc, you should read the instructions before playing the game

Dodonpachi is indeed a great game. I would like to get it for my saturn too (Or the PSX version). I get crap frame rates when playing it using an emulator. Still I could get a better chain than you I remember getting chains around 120 hits. Not a big deal yet, I suck at every game made by Cave

I have to add one game here: Radiant Silvergun for the Saturn.

I said this on another tread, this game is just too cool. There is NOTHING like Radiant Silvergun, the level design is just AMAZING. You have 7 different weapons, and you already begin the game with all weapons. The levels are designed in such a way that you HAVE TO LEARN how to use each weapon properly. To power up the weapons, you have to make points using that weapon. To make points, you need to chain the enemies. Each enemy may be red, blue or yellow, and everytime you kill 3 enemies of the same color in a row, you make a chain. If you keeping killing enemies of the same color, you chain rises. Kill an enemy of a different color, and you kill your chain. It's the only shmup I ever played that sometimes you just DON'T want to kill an enemy, to not destroy your chain, so you have to DODGE all the incoming fire from that enemy.

And you have the bosses. No other GAME IN HISTORY has bosses as cool as this one. And it's not like the game has 4 or 5 bosses, it has DOZENS and DOZENS of different bosses, each one with many different ways of attacking you.

It's a long game, and it's hard. It's DAMN HARD, I can tell you, I can't think of another shmup that have kicked my ass so hard as RSG. Still it's never cheap, everytime you die, you know it was your fault, and everytime you see the "Game Over" screen, you know that you will do better the next time.

But I do know if I ever finish that beast, it will take ages.

Words just can't express how good this game is. Like I said in another tread, when Treasure was developing this game, they SURELY wanted to make THE ULTIMATE SHMUP. No other shmup can even get close of the experiece that Radiant Silvergun is. It has great graphics, an excellent soundtrack, sweating boss fights, amazing level design, great weapons...

If you own a Saturn, or can emulate it, do yourself a favour, and get this game. Even if it's in CD-R format.
I am sure you won't regret.

Just for the record, this game was developed by Treasure, the same guys who brought you Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier on Mega-Drive, Guardian Heroes on Saturn, Silhouette Mirage on Saturn and PSX, and is now developing Gradius 5 for Konami.
Old 23 August 2003, 11:16   #130
Amiga1992

Radiant Silvergun is nice, but OVERRATED by Treasure fans like you!

Seriously, it is overrated. It's not the second coming, but it is a good game. what I hate most about Silvergun is the overrating (thanks to this stupid overrating I can't own a copy, since they go for 300 dollars or more. Not that it matters to you, bloody pirate )
Old 23 August 2003, 12:48   #131
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Erm, you don't "get" the Laser Power-up, you always have both weapons in the game (Laser and Spread). If you hold the button, you get the laser.
Tsc tsc, you should read the instructions before playing the game

Hence, I am major suckage at the game :welcome
Oh, and how goes it in MSX land?
Any fave shooters bitch?
Old 23 August 2003, 17:42   #132
cv643d

I just said "50" out of my head coz it sounded like a lot, but maybe I shouldve said 120 yes.. hehe. To be honest I dont really know how big Ive gone.

I do think Radiant Silvergun is a good game. You feel very macho when the ship flyes up and down and the camera follows it and when the music sounds very orchestral, espesially when you kill a boss.

But its maybe a bit overrated I think.. ehum. Maybe thats because I dont think you should need to think to much in games, especially not shoot em ups. Actually Radiant Silvergun can be played and enjoyed as a pure shoot em up and not as an RPG shoot em up. And thats what I do.

on the DC:
I dont like RPG shoot em ups so Mars Matrix and Ikaruga (which are very good games they say) doesnt get a lot of play on my Dreamcast but Zero Gunner 2 gets two thumbs way up in the sky.

Ive played the three first levels of Ikaruga, and by far the best part yet is the beginning of the game when the ship flyes off and up in the sky and then down.. thats really cool for being a part in a shoot em up.
Old 24 August 2003, 01:18   #133
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Radiant Silvergun is great, and that's not because it's from Treasure. Yes, Treasure are amazing developers and all, but the 1st time I played Radiant Silvergun, I felt like "Huh? what was all the fuss about?". I gave the game a few hours of play, and still couldn't see it as an interesting game. It was somehow addicting, but not as great as some people said. It was sitting in the shelf for sometime.

Other day I played it again... after a few hours, something clicked. I could see the really beauty of the game, how incredibly well designed the game is.

The game has one fault for me though: There's too much of it. Maybe that's what makes it so great, but for me there's just TOO MUCH to master. I have barely mastered the 1st level (Round 3), and I always get smoked in the 2nd level (Round 2).

Somebody told me this in the shmups.com forum, and I'll say it here: You can't rate this game properly if you don't play it for some good hours.

@ Fred

I have posted 2 of my fav on MSX earlier in this thread.

Space Manbow, from Konami, one of the best horizontal shmups ever, IMO it's better than most Gradius games.

Aleste 2, from Compile, my fav shmup ever

The MSX is full of great shmups, if you're interested I could post about more shmups later.
Old 24 August 2003, 03:42   #134
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

After spending a few weeks reading through all these posts, there is a lot I agree with.

R-Type is simply flawless. It drags you to hell and back because you know exactly what to do, but something (no matter how much you expect it) catches you off-guard. And the mounting tension of knowing how far you are through it, and how much you are going to die after you die once because your power-ups are pants.

I'm also very much into Gradius Advance on the GBA at the moment. I never played Gradius the first time around so I'm sure I really missed out.

I can't agree with a lot of the 'Radiant is overrated' talk, because I find it extremely difficult to fault and it's definitely one of the best of the genre. The same goes for Ikaruga. Playing that on my Dreamcast absolutely blew me away. Both games are so similar yet so very diffferent and they both take hours from your life. You never realise how long you've been playing until you realise it's getting light outside and the word chain is impregnated in your brain.
Old 24 August 2003, 12:12   #135
spiff
Oh noes!

Radiant silvergun, Ikagura (RS2)
The game:
RS has a small, the abillity to absorb enemies bullets if they are of the correct color. It's a small thing, but that combined with the fact that the game is so polished and one of the best games to the forgotten saturn makes it special.. one of the biggest sleeper hits around.

The system:
Sega ST-V segas arcade version of the saturn, pretty much the same hardware but a bit more memory.. the saturn is roughly the same thing as a playstation on paralell processors.

http://w1.709.comhem.se/~u70900870/RS5.jpg

On a very tight second spot is do donpatchi, the bonus system and massive amount of bullets makes it incredbile...Do donpatchi is the hier to Raiden.. or the genere where smpups went from pre-form shooters (R-type) to true skill bullet dogers.
Old 25 August 2003, 05:47   #136
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Radiant Silvergun has no bullet abosorbing. Well, you can absord bullets with the Radiant Sword, but that's all.

The game where you absorb bullets from the same color of your ship is Ikaruga.

And I personally don't like to call Ikaruga as Radiant Silvergun 2. I know when the working title for the game was Project RSG2, but I think the storyline has nothing to do with RSG. (That's just my guess, I have never played Ikaruga).

Are you using an emulator to get this RSG screenthos? IT looks like the textures look better than in the real thing. Also, how the hell you have 5 millions points and your C weapons is in level 33 in round 3B? Are you using saving?

I think to save in RSG is to CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT
Old 25 August 2003, 08:51   #137
manicx

I am not sure if I replied to this thread before (I can't be arsed looking back) back my fave shoot em up is Lethal Xcess by Thalion! Hippel's music is pure class...
Old 27 August 2003, 21:50   #138
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Got to be Llamatron, mad as a fish and totaly playable - even after clocking it twice and the colors/effects give you seisures

Very close 2nd was Hybris - the first game I played on the Amiga, the first game that kept me up till early morn, the first game that caused blisters on the joystick hand, the first (and only) game that broke my joystick through over-use... mind you after I broke it, I got a Comp Pro 5000 instead, and it's still going strong!
Old 28 August 2003, 15:19   #139
cv643d

Someone else besides me can give some love for Zero Gunner 2?

Maybe it was mentioned but im to lazy to look again.
Old 29 August 2003, 11:19   #140
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Aleste 2, from Compile, my fav shmup ever

The MSX is full of great shmups, if you're interested I could post about more shmups later.
Yup Aleste 2 rox Just played it the last two days