English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 22 August 2017, 01:42   #1
matburton

Unhappy Is there workaround for missing IDCMP_GADGETUP messages?

Hey all,

For fun I've been writing a workbench app for my yellowing Amiga 500.

I have some string gadgets, and receive IDCMP_GADGETUP messages when the user has changed the contents of any of them. That works perfectly as long as the user pressed enter to complete the value change.

It seems that if the user instead just clicks away from the string gadget the value is changed but I don't get a GADGETUP message: http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node0166.html
Quote:
The gadget may become inactive without the application receiving an IDCMP_GADGETUP message. This will happen if the user performs some other operation with the mouse or if another window is activated. The gadget may still contain updated, valid information even though the IDCMP_GADGETUP message was not received.
I'm using kickstart 1.3 and workbench 1.3.2 (but this also seems to apply to later kickstart and workbench versions)

Is there any kind of workaround (on kickstart 1.3) so that I can know always know when the value of a string gadget has been changed?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 August 2017, 02:27   #2
r.cade

Send a message via AIM to r.cade Send a message via MSN to r.cade Send a message via Yahoo to r.cade
I would guess you need to store what is entered in the boxes and periodically see if they have changed.
Old 22 August 2017, 11:20   #3
Daedalus

Yep, that's a particular characteristic of the OS-included gadgets unfortunately - famously responsible for much stress during hard drive installation, where HDToolbox won't remember your settings unless you press enter after entering a value manually.

One workaround, and the method I use, is to not bother with the gadget up message at all unless you explicitly want the program to carry out an action when enter is pressed. I simply use a routine to read all the gadget values in one go, and call that whenever the values are actually needed, e.g. when closing the window, clicking Save or Use etc. If you want an action to happen automatically when pressing Enter, you can call it then too, or when a gadget is activated that relies on the content of the other gadgets. No need to do it periodically (also, doing so means setting up timers and counters instead of just waiting for the next gadget event).
Old 23 August 2017, 00:58   #4
matburton

Thanks Daedalus and r.cade

I was hoping there might be some sneaky way I'd overlooked I'll swap to what Daedalus suggested and rather than performing any logic up-front I'll swap to checking later and displaying a requester perhaps to explain what's wrong if there's anything that doesn't validate.

For context (and perhaps a laugh) here's what I've made so far, it's just a sudoku solver. If you sneak in high or negative values by clicking away you end-up trample surrounding memory with various not-so-great results.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	workbench-1.3-crash.gif
Views:	94
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	54285  
AdSense AdSense