English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 03 August 2017, 12:07   #1041
idrougge

Wait a minute, isn't that the whole point of open source?
Old 03 August 2017, 12:25   #1042
plasmab
Banned

Expansion board for the CD32

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Wait a minute, isn't that the whole point of open source?

Yes. But I don't have to like it. I provided sources for people to be able to fix issues and change component footprints to suit. Not redo them completely and slap their own name on them and claim credit (not that kipper did that.. others have)

EDIT: The bit that gets me is why people didn't create them themselves and save me the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by plasmab; 03 August 2017 at 13:20.
Old 03 August 2017, 14:09   #1043
plasmab
Banned

Or to use a software analogy . Most people run the program once before rewriting it.

Anyways. No more open source from me.

Old 03 August 2017, 14:17   #1044
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
That's too bad. I thought it made this one of the more interesting projects. You'll still do the streams though?
Old 03 August 2017, 14:22   #1045
AEV

That would be a shame Steve, I know for me watching your YouTube videos and looking at your files is a good way of learning a little about EE design. Anyway I look forward to building a TF328 rev1 someday.
Old 03 August 2017, 14:31   #1046
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
I provided sources for people to be able to fix issues and change component footprints to suit. Not redo them completely and slap their own name on them and claim credit
I think what you're looking for is this licence:
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Old 03 August 2017, 14:38   #1047
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Open source the schematics & RTL but not the layout?

I understand what you mean. I don't know how open source software teams deal with people forking their code rather than contributing and then back merging your improvements to their fork.

I hope you change your mind and consider open information with donations as the way to go.
Old 03 August 2017, 14:38   #1048
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
I think what you're looking for is this licence:

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International

Have no problem with commercial. I encourage it. I have no problem with a footprint being changed because someone couldn't get such and such a component. That's the reason this is open.

Old 03 August 2017, 14:42   #1049
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post

I understand what you mean. I don't know how open source software teams deal with people forking their code rather than contributing and then back merging your improvements to their fork.

I hope you change your mind and consider open information with donations as the way to go.

TBH I was going to release the gerbers and Jeds and keep the rest closed from now on.

Old 03 August 2017, 15:43   #1050
AJCopland

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post

You just expect it to be honest. It happens on most, if not all, projects.

Most of the time people will contribute stuff but you should always expect people to fork and go in a different direction. You gave them the head start, perhaps even the inspiration, to get on with something so it's expected to happen.

Usually when it happens i'll backport fixes and improvements, at least until the projects diverge enough that it stops being possible. (EDIT: obviously I'm talking about my own open source software projects here)

However there are other licences which stop this sort of thing and allow people to retain control whilst still sharing the knowledge.
Old 03 August 2017, 15:57   #1051
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCopland View Post
You just expect it to be honest. It happens on most, if not all, projects.

Most of the time people will contribute stuff but you should always expect people to fork and go in a different direction. You gave them the head start, perhaps even the inspiration, to get on with something so it's expected to happen.

Usually when it happens i'll backport fixes and improvements, at least until the projects diverge enough that it stops being possible. (EDIT: obviously I'm talking about my own open source software projects here)

However there are other licences which stop this sort of thing and allow people to retain control whilst still sharing the knowledge.

Yeah. It just doesn't work for me. If people contributed merge requests it might be different. Its about keeping one thing and building on it rather than fragmenting immediately. If a difference of opinion about a design thing developed over time I could respect a split...

Old 03 August 2017, 16:36   #1052
Amiga1992

Quote:
Not redo them completely and slap their own name on them and claim credit (not that kipper did that.. others have)
And who is the damn asshole who did this????
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCopland View Post
Which licenses allow open sourcing while retaining control? Say if I want to put something on Github, but not allow forks? But accept suggestions to change.

With software it would be hard to control someone just making a clone based on what is there though, sounds like a real nightmare. But physical products can probably be policed more and perhaps plasmab can continue putting it "out there" to receive suggestion without someone destroying it from the get go.
Old 03 August 2017, 18:18   #1053
kipper2k

I would like to say that Stephen has done a brilliant job and achieved in a short time what few people have done in years. (due to no competition). There are very few cheap options available for the Amiga user and there are a lot of people in the amiga community that cannot afford to spend a lot of money enhancing their amigas and to that end it is great that they have options. When people take other peoples work and pass it off as their own (and resell it) it is wrong on so many levels. This rightfully pees off the authors and shuts down a great option. The unfortunate side effect of this is that other people can then produce other items at prices that are high and good old competition is stifled.

For me, i can build hardware but i cannot program and am too long in the tooth now to attempt it. The community can help by refusing to buy products that are not respecting the original authors work. There will always be people who abuse the author and unfortunately the whole community suffers. I hope Stephen can come up with some sort of solution to continue his work as i don't think anyone else is coming up to the plate
Old 03 August 2017, 18:39   #1054
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
The community can help by refusing to buy products that are not respecting the original authors work.
This is rarely the case.
What happened with the Cortex firmware? It got sold on eBay a plenty and people to this day still buy "amiga Gotek" drives with it in them.

If "CD32 expansion board" pops up on eBay with whatever name and whatever price, I can guarantee you they will be sold. Sure, the few who are here and care would not and would condemn this action, but the reality is different. MOst if not all of the people buying stuff like the "Amiga Gotek"s on eBay that included the Cortex firmware and at times even packs of ADFs, do not give two shits. People that buy CFs with ClassicWB and WHDLoad games on it, don't give a shit. People buying Vampires for ridiculous prices while developers were selling them for much less at high risk, do not give two shits.

The list, sadly, goes on.
Old 03 August 2017, 19:20   #1055
plasmab
Banned

I actually don't care about people making money from selling my boards. I'm more annoyed when my art work is tampered with. That's how I see it. Sell my art for whatever you can get for it.... just don't mess with it unnecessarily

Old 03 August 2017, 19:36   #1056
Amiga1992

My point is, there's a lot of people out there not giving a shit where stuff comes from, if it is stolen, if someone could be affected by them acquiring it the way they do,if the item's future could be affected by this action, etc etc.
Old 03 August 2017, 21:18   #1057
plasmab
Banned

To be clear folks the derivatives/forks thing is "my problem". I find it hard to motivate myself to finish a board when i think of the boards being redone.
Old 03 August 2017, 21:39   #1058
talybont

There is a slight possibility that redoing your boards is a way for people to learn.

I hope you don't stop with the videos though, that's my jam!
Old 04 August 2017, 18:45   #1059
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by talybont View Post
There is a slight possibility that redoing your boards is a way for people to learn.

I hope you don't stop with the videos though, that's my jam!

Well my PC is Alive again. So that's possible

Old 07 August 2017, 19:21   #1060
plasmab
Banned

The rev 1 boards are here. I'll build them ASAP then publish everything.

Plus i'll ebay my 9 blank boards. After that i think i'm gonna knock it on the head for a while.