English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 November 2016, 02:32   #1
Starglider 2

What do you do on your Amiga?

Hi guys and girls,

Sometimes I like to just turn my A500+ on for a quick session (nothing too convoluted), then I check for emails on YAM (usually there's none), then...

That's where I'm stuck. I don't really feel like playing through the old games I have installed, and there aren't many great BBS around.

What do YOU do to pass the time, on your Amiga?

Last edited by Starglider 2; 16 November 2016 at 02:43.
Old 16 November 2016, 02:41   #2
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

I mainly use my 1200 for producing music with OctaMED or ProTracker.

The games are just a bonus.
Old 16 November 2016, 02:46   #3
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
I mainly use my 1200 for producing music with OctaMED or ProTracker.

The games are just a bonus.
Nice!

I'm hoping for something a little simpler, for quick 10 minute sessions. Maybe something online but low bandwidth (like email.) I wonder if anyone knows of anything a little less well known but cool. Connecting to other computers excites me... 'hacking' style "War Games" type stuf even...
Old 16 November 2016, 03:54   #4
Signman

I found the setting up and installing different hardware and software the intersting part.
Not really a gamer but from the beginning graphic art is my passion.

Playing with Tv paint in emulation and Brilliance on my 1200.
Looks like a lifelong pursuit to get my wireless card to work , so that keeps me engaged.
Old 16 November 2016, 08:44   #5
emufan

the exciting part for me is the development of winuae, since my a1200 still sleeps in the attic.
during last months the addition of those graphic cards was really fun to see.
all the expensive stuff from the early days now available for anyone.
when i'm bored enough, i rarely play with lightwave and search through the old BBS archives for some more cool software.
Old 16 November 2016, 09:23   #6
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I am coding a game in 68K Assembler, usually on FS-UAE though. But I am testing on my real Amiga if everything works from time to time.
This, and games...
Old 16 November 2016, 15:07   #7
crazyc

I do use mine to occasionally relive my youth and play games. Also Dynablaster and Bubble Bobble with the kids are fun.

About once a year I get the urge to push the limits of what my main Miggy can do a little bit further. I am just waiting on a final cable or two before trying to undertake the long held dream of booting from a CF card but via SCSI not IDE.
I already run a custom 3.9 kickstart (which I need to update) and have the machine networked.
Old 16 November 2016, 21:51   #8
DamienD
Banned

Not sure how this thread is "support.WinUAE" related

Moved accordingly.

...and to answer the original question; mainly gaming but also tinkering about in order to create .ADFs that are not standard and can be run without hard drives (but I should point out that WinUAE is my only Amiga and has been for the past 11 years)

Last edited by DamienD; 16 November 2016 at 22:14.
Old 16 November 2016, 22:00   #9
demolition
Unregistered User

I use my Amiga mainly for tinkering. I like to do HW upgrades when I can, make WB a little bit nicer, install and try out some new software etc. Never played games very much but it does happen from time to time.

I do like to fix up machines but when I am done with them, they tend to sit idle while I work on some other machine that needs some fixing.
Old 16 November 2016, 23:28   #10
TroyWilkins

Me, personally, I have fun playing around in Deluxe Paint IV, but also using other packages, and slowly working my way through the contents of cover CDs from the Amiga magazines that I have not looked at in many years.

I'm also tinkering around in learning C on the Amiga, although I'm only using real hardware for it once I've finished compiling - my poor little A600 doesn't have enough RAM, and lets face it, nobody enjoys waiting for something to compile.
Old 17 November 2016, 00:53   #11
eXeler0

With the A1200 currently taken apart and the A600 having some upgrade issues with the Vampire, a pimped A500 gets some TLC these days. It has a GoTek drive set to boot KickOff2 at startup so, every now and then I sit down for a couple of games of KO2. It never gets old. :-)
(And ye, I have FIFA 16 on the Playstation... ;-)
Old 17 November 2016, 06:27   #12
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post
I'm also tinkering around in learning C on the Amiga, although I'm only using real hardware for it once I've finished compiling - my poor little A600 doesn't have enough RAM, and lets face it, nobody enjoys waiting for something to compile.
I have also set up SAS/C on my Vampirised A600 with the intent of doing a bit of programming but I must admit that you get spoiled when are used to using VS on the PC.

So I have tried setting up a system where I was able to edit using Visual Studio and then use a script which then pushed the file to the Amiga through a network connection and launched the compiler+linker on the Amiga. It kinda worked but didn't work as well as I had hoped for to though..

Without a good IDE, you really need to have a good reference book on the desk beside you.
Old 17 November 2016, 06:36   #13
Starglider 2

Thanks everyone so far. One thing stands and that is how versatile our use cases are. That is a testament not only to ourselves but to how versatile the Amiga was. Is.

Thanks!
Old 17 November 2016, 09:56   #14
Daedalus

I'm having some friends over this weekend for a SWOS tournament, which is a semi-regular use of one of my A1200s. The others are mainly used for testing and developing software and playing music, and of course general tinkering. These days I tend to use OS4 on my A1XE for software development with final development, testing and tweaking getting carried out on the classics. I also occasionally use PPaint for small web graphics jobs and Wordworth for writing the odd time.
Old 17 November 2016, 10:12   #15
Jope
-

I run demo compos at demo parties, archive old floppies from ex-demosceners' collections, watch demos, listen to modules, tinker with asm-one and resource, play the occasional game.
Old 17 November 2016, 21:22   #16
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

All my Miggies are in storage, as my man-cave has been converted into a nursery...

But, when it was in full swing, I had my A1200T and A600HD permanently set up. I'd play the good old stuff on the A600, and the FPS-type stuff on the A1200T. Breathless is just wonderful, but I do keep heading back to Doom, too. It flies like hell with my 603e PPC
Old 17 November 2016, 22:08   #17
trixster
Guru Meditating

I'm currently playing through Quake and Doom on my A1200. I've also been playing Tie-Fighter and Marathon using Shapeshifter, and experimenting getting Tomb Raider running under PC-Task. I mainly have the A1200 on for tinkering but it regularly gets used for internet radio, MP3 and mod playing, occasional basic websurfing, old amiga gaming etc. I think it's the nostalgia factor that sees it getting daily use, and the fact that I like using it because it's a nice thing to have. Similarly the A4000 gets used for tinkering and for comparing against the A1200. I like seeing what I can get it to do. It's in bits at the moment.

Realistically there's little you can 'do' with an old Amiga that can't be done massively faster and easier with a modern PC or through winaue... but that's not really the point of having and maintaining and old machine is it?! Where's the fun in winuae?
Old 17 November 2016, 22:45   #18
Locutus

Enjoying the finest of ASCII art pr0n in Topaz/8
Old 18 November 2016, 00:59   #19
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Retrogaming, mainly...
Old 18 November 2016, 02:26   #20
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Enjoying the finest of ASCII art pr0n in Topaz/8
Whilst I'm sure you're half joking, where do you find that stuff – preferably for direct download to the Amiga? I remember it seemed like the best thing in the world when I was 14! Would suit the nostalgia purposes