English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 August 2015, 19:51   #21
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

This is after changing the tools and rebooting. No difference. I must say that I've already tried adding the tools one by one.

The problem isn't the tools but the use of the old image of the icons, just as happens in the Start Menus of Magellan when using AfA.

Just look at the image of the icon information of AmiStart itself, it is showing the old image.

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 August 2015 at 22:25.
Old 17 August 2015, 10:21   #22
bernd roesch

But when you use uaegfx driver in the default little endian color mode all icons are ok show ?
If so, i do not know what Problem AFA can have. because AFA itself do not know what pixel format your amiga have. all is handle by P96 drivers.

I have only the idea that the problem can be the picture_datatype.exe in afa_os_libs folder this is from AROS the picture datatype. afa can work without it, but show no alphachannel. for test please remove it, reboot and look if the icons appear.

when you load in a icon that is not show in the iconedit(when no afa boot) and save it, maybe then they are show ?. the old 8 bit ken icons are broken. this can see because when save with icon edit they work

try also set the icon scale in afa prefs to 1 so icons are not scale.

I see in picture datatype the WriteChunkyPixel function from AOS is use to convert to the bitmap format. maybe this function is broken in any way.

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node033C.html

Last edited by bernd roesch; 17 August 2015 at 10:31.
Old 17 August 2015, 11:17   #23
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It is very rare. Listen I've moved to disabled the picture.datatype.exe and rebooted but there was no change.

Then I've taked an icon, Hip and in another OS edited and saved. In fact that icon was already in the 3.5 format. After rebooting it wasn't shown (selecting it or even selecting, saving prefs and rebooting).

Then I've edited another Hip icon in another OS to have the new image in the old image, that was going to fix it in theory.... No, it wasn't shown either.

I've even taked one of the icons that I've fixed for my Start Menus (that also has a problem with the old images of the icons)... and that fixed image that is shown in the Start Menu with AfAOS (with the new image in the old normal image) wasn't shown either in AmiStart.

I've tried this AmiStart v65 without AfA and only RTG with the same settings and it shows all of the icons.

I will try to ask what's the difference, why some icons are shown and others not.

Edit: I've tried changing the AfA prefs, icon size to 1, but there is no change (I've rebooted too).

Edit: I've taked the "Start.info" icon of AmiStart V65 and renamed it to Button.info to be used by AmiStart as main icon, rebooted, but it isn't shown either.

I see that the icons I've created are shown different in AfAOS editing the info. I created them with icon.library adding the old image in another OS without AfAOS:

Codeaudio as you know is shown, Hip not.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 August 2015 at 13:41.
Old 17 August 2015, 13:51   #24
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've got it: Changing the Hip icon with the original of AmiKit PC it is shown. Mine was in the 3.5 format.

So the problem is with the 3.5 icons.

I've just tried the Button.info of the AmiKit PC and it also works, so it is something with the routines of 3.5 icons.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 August 2015 at 10:15.
Old 17 August 2015, 13:52   #25
bernd roesch

maybe you can try unmodified amikit if that work. first try default color mode, and then the mode toni told. does this fail too ?.
Old 17 August 2015, 13:59   #26
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Did you read my last message? You posted almost at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I've got it: Changing the Hip icon with the original of AmiKit PC it is shown. Mine was in the 3.5 format.

So the problem is with the 3.5 icons.

I've just tried the Button.info of the AmiKit PC and it also works, so it is something with the routines of 3.5 icons.
I could of course change all of the icons to be in the original format and all would look right, but that won't fix the existing problem with the 3.5 one in the icon_lib.exe

Edit: Maybe someone can help with this:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1036302&postcount=2

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 August 2015 at 14:19.
Old 17 August 2015, 14:16   #27
bernd roesch

I try now amikit orginal. amistart work in 16 bit, 32 bit ok. but in 24 bit screen it fail all pixel modes. amistart draw trash on open /close window etc. have nothing to do with icons or AFA. In the time amistart is develop 24 bit mode is not support on winuae. darius develop on winuae. so he can not test if it work in 24 bit. so i guess only solution to use amistart is use workbench in 16 or 32 bit mode. have nothing to do with afa.
Old 17 August 2015, 14:18   #28
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

You are true with AmiStart v66 used in AmiKit, but as I told you AmiStart v65 works with 24 bits and the only problem is the icons not shown when they use the 3.5 format.

I sent you yesterday the files that you can try with 24bit modes.

You can try with AmiKit PC with the changes Toni said to use 24 bits. Start the original AmiStart and you will find the corruption we saw, like Thomas confirmed, but if you use AmiStart V65 copying the Tools to the info it will show them right I'm sure.

Edit: I will make that and tell in some minutes.

First: AmiKit PC using AfA with it's original AmiStart v66:

And now just running v65, not even a reboot was necessary:

AmiStart v65 shows all of the icons in the 3.5 format when I only use RTG without AfA.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 August 2015 at 15:44.
Old 17 August 2015, 14:51   #29
bernd roesch

I have 0.66c amistart from 10. April 2007 on my winuae config.It show the icons(that are in the default folder, of amistart) are 3.5 icons ok. you are right 0.65 do not show icons. I guess this old version use no drawiconstate to draw icons. seem Darius have change that in 0.66c and some more. In 0.66 you use he sadly broken 24 bit support because of some other changes he do. but AFA can do nothing here without much work. my screenmode requester AOS 3.5 do not show 24 bit modes so i can not easy test 24 bit on my afa system to debug. or need i use newer uaegfx ?

maybe the amistart i send to you work in 24 bit. maybe we have luck

Last edited by bernd roesch; 17 August 2015 at 14:59.
Old 17 August 2015, 15:20   #30
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

To change AmiKit to use 24bits first disable ShowAmiga96 in the s-s, as it uses a preconfigured monitor. Edit the WinUAE config before booting and change the color modes like this http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/0463...2e80d1df9d.png

After rebooting it will show a bad screen as it won't have the screenmode it was using. Use AmiKit:Prefs/Screenmode and select a 24 bit monitor and reboot, that's all.

Edit: Your file with AmiStart 66c (adding the icon with the tools) doesn't open, just wastes fast mem. The same also without tools, leaving only the paths to main icon and Data.

I also had that 66c version that PeterK sent me to try, and his comes with the info and tools for AmiKit, but it doesn't start either.

Edit: But you keep thinking that changing the AmiStart version could fix this. No, it won't. Ok that v66 doesn't work with 24 bits, but v65 does and the problem it shows with 3.5 icons doesn't exist without AfA, so it's caused by AfA. If you take a 3.5 icon in AfA and you click to show the info it will show the old image. That doesn't look right either.

Edit: Thinking well, I am wrong and AmiStart could in fact fix this problem I believe with another "Buffered" option that I don't know what makes, but the problem in AfA with the 3.5 icons is there I believe.

Edit: I've got an email from Darius Brewka and maybe he can make something although he is out of the amiga scene since years ago after his accident. http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/v...C&type=&mode=0

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 August 2015 at 01:29.
Old 18 August 2015, 11:22   #31
bernd roesch

If amistart 0.66c not start on your system, i think it is because of your config file. try out start on normal amikit. on amikit 0.66c version is used earlier. or use for quick test, the config that is attach in 0.66c. it contain 3.5 icons. I look if i can get 24 bit screens working to test. I have no showamiga96. maybe there is a tooltype hide 24 bit modes etc. normaly use 24 bit on a classic is too slow. most users use 16 bit

Darius have change in 0.66 so it support true color icons and i guess work on OS4 too. amistart 0.65 maybe show 3.5 icons correct without afa, but try out png icons or OS4 true color icons. do they work with 0.65 ?.

The bad news is that Dariues change something in amistart window open close or transparency in V0.66. and this fail on 24 bit screens.

maybe when look at all 0.66 versions Darius create, we find a version that work with truecolor icons 3.5 icons and have no problem with 24 bit. maybe you can ask Darius if he can show where to download or send all 0.66 versions he have. then you can test out.
Old 18 August 2015, 11:54   #32
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Sorry, it works with 66c, it was it had disabled the paths. It works in both versions of AmiKit with 24bits, but with corrupted icons just like with v66 of AmiKit.

I would try to copy the uaegfx of monitors of AmiKit PC to your OS, as it works here with 24 bits after changing the color settings and later the screenmode. If you can't get it to work, use my distro and install what you need there from your OS.

Or just change your screenmode to use another monitor different of UAE, reboot, install as RTG a Picasso IV zorro III in your system and install it with Picasso96 drivers.

We'll have to let time to Darius, as he hasn't even decided what UAE emulation to use, as he uses Linux. It seems it's a long time he doesn't use Amiga emulation.

I've told him to use FSUAE and explained a bit (I don't use FSUAE) how to install my distro. It surely would be easier to install AmiKit for PC as it has a Linux install, but I doubt it has the color modes in the Gui that WinUAE has to use 24 bits, so I've recommended to him to install my distro instead, as it is running with 24 bits with a Picasso iv Zorro III (I hope FSUAE has got it).

BTW I've sent you an email.

Edit: Sorry, no. It doesn't start. Not my fault. I've got your file with Amistart 66c and I've got another with the "AmiStart 66c for AmiKit" that PeterK sent me time ago and has a readme as beta. This last is the one that starts with corruption. Your file doesn't start in both versions of AmiKit.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 August 2015 at 12:28.
Old 18 August 2015, 12:28   #33
bernd roesch

if this 0.66c i have send not show icons, then you have bad icons. try the amistart archive (which contain OS3.5 icons for preferences) use the config file that is on amistart archive. and you can see, OS3.5 icons are show in 32 bit 16 bit. if the icons not show in 24 bit, then it is too problem in amistart.

maybe i explain more how OS4 or AROS icon system work. It is only able to work correct, when programs use the AOS function introduce in AOS 3.5 drawiconstate.

older programs read the icon data direct from a address and blit. This fail because the program is not able to detect if the icon is png or OS4 Icon. AROS (afa use code from it)use a iconstructure for OS3.5 icons that is not compatible with AOS iconstructure. So all programs that use not Drawiconstate function do not work correct.

to support the new icons developer need change their programs to use drawiconstate. many developer have done it, so much work. Darius have done it in 0.66 Versions, but he introduce a Bug in 24 bit. maybe there is a option to disable transparency in amistart. maybe then it work in 24 bit. or do setting so menu is not transparency

I hope you understand that it is not possible to get old programs working with new icon system. for dopus magellan i need have add special patch routines that check if it is dopus, and do a patch of bltbitmaprastport. this was lots work. On OS4 or MOS old dopus is not able to show OS4 or png icons. But i really have no time to add a special patch that a old amistart can show icons, because new amistart show icons correct
Old 18 August 2015, 12:39   #34
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

But if AmiStart v65 works with 3.5 icons with RTG (no AfA) with 24bits as it does, why is it a problem of AmiStart and not of AfA?

I know it could fix the problem if it works (v66) with 24 bits, but as I say, v65 just like it is, shoudn't it also work with AfA like it works without it?

And excuse my poor knowledges.

I understand you say that the programmers must adapt their programs to work with AfA then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernd roesch View Post
if this 0.66c i have send not show icons, then you have bad icons. try the amistart archive (which contain OS3.5 icons for preferences) use the config file that is on amistart archive. and you can see, OS3.5 icons are show in 32 bit 16 bit. if the icons not show in 24 bit, then it is too problem in amistart.
Yes, I've tried that now and the program doesn't start either with 24 bits.

Edit: Ok if you think your icon structure is right with 3.5 icons in AfAOS then I only can wait for D. Brewka to update his program or to change all of my icons for AmiStart v65 to work with AfA

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 August 2015 at 13:45.
Old 18 August 2015, 20:31   #35
bernd roesch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
And excuse my poor knowledges.

I understand you say that the programmers must adapt their programs to work with AfA then?
you understand wrong. The programs need change for use of drawiconstate for all New generation amiga OS that support png and OS4 true color icons. So this change is need for OS4, AROS, MOS and of course AFA.

You can try amistart with AROS on a classic. this work too not in 24 bit. and if you use a older 0.65 version 68k version this show on OS4 MOS AROS too no 3.5 icons and of course no true color or PNG icons

I hope now it is clear. And if the 24 bit support in amistart is fix, then all is ok.

Last edited by bernd roesch; 18 August 2015 at 20:37.
Old 18 August 2015, 21:39   #36
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, thanks a lot for your help (and Thomas too). I will wait for Darius to see if he can make it, but it has been 10 years since he used emulation ...

But don't worry, this afternoon I've copied or converted all of the icons so them all will be shown in AmiStart (v65) in my distro when using AfAOS

It's true that I've got also another set of icons, "Mattahan's icons set", but I won't be converting all of them, so it would be a pity if AmiStart can't fix the problems with AfA and the 3.5 icons.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 August 2015 at 21:49.
Old 19 August 2015, 10:05   #37
bernd roesch

I dont think it is a good idea to use a old amistart. have other problems maybe. Do you own a classic ?. then you can see that a classic in 24 bit is way too slow, it run fast out of GFX mem, when have more screens. so i guess near all use 16 bit and higher screen res. and 16 bit on picasso 4 work ok with 0.66 right ?

Or do you know a user, that use his classic amiga on workbench in 24 bit ?.
Old 19 August 2015, 10:51   #38
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, AmiStart is slow in a real Amiga, but I've got also a new dock by Thomas Rapp (WBDock), Amidock, Workbench2000, the Start Menus and some bar self made with Tinymeter apart of AmiStart.

On WinUAE it goes pretty fast though and that's what I want it for. I mean that you better use 24bits on emulation as it goes very fast.

No, 16bits with v66 and AfA with Picasso has the same corruption than with 24bits. With v65 it works right with 16 and 24 using 32bit icons.

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 August 2015 at 11:51.
Old 19 August 2015, 12:34   #39
bernd roesch

thats wrong, 32bit is always faster because 32bit fit every pixel in a long word. when use 24 bit the data need split and merge in 1 byte(8 bit) and 1 word(16bit). thats the reason wy today all gfx cards use 32 bit and offer no 24 bit support , even if 24 bit save memory. only in the early computer days when memory was very expensive, 24 bit was support

16 bit work in any pixelformat with 0.66 amistart and uaegfx. amikit do not allow screenchange on fly. there come message that screen can not close. so you need always save the screen and you need reboot.

maybe you can send me the picasso 4 monitor and card driver for picasso 4 you use, so i can easy test on winuae picasso 4 the rom i have download and work
Old 19 August 2015, 14:27   #40
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I mean that you better use 24 bits as you don't have 32bits with a Picasso.

I've sent you the files you need (you can just copy them over your system) to convert for example a CWB39 to use Picasso. Remember to add the Picasso rom to WinUAE http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=993951&postcount=6