EAB3 skin Register
English Amiga Board

1 2 3 4 5 
Retrogaming General Discussion>Turrican III Source Code
TCD 10:54 14 November 2008
Which is also a nice way to make a 'demo' version Guess it was intentional that the first three level were fully playable.
Advertisement:

john4p 12:37 14 November 2008
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid:
Which is also a nice way to make a 'demo' version Guess it was intentional that the first three level were fully playable.
This "code protection"/"demo version"-technique was successful with me: it's one of the few Amiga games I actually bought.
I also bought Turrican II and Turrican 3 because they were also on only 1 disk (the swapping procedure with the cracked T2 sucked).
mr.vince 12:56 14 November 2008
It was (still is) a product well worth paying for. Anyway, that long track thing made the disc quite unstable and I am glad to see it preserved in IPFs. T2 from the official site is damaged, the guys at Factor 5 forgot to include the last track.

Best
Chris
john4p 13:18 14 November 2008
Turrican I-III are the only original disks I still have (although I don't have an Amiga anymore). Last time I tried them they still worked perfectly! But, well, that was about eleven years ago...
TCD 13:35 14 November 2008
Still have my Turrican II original disk and... it works Kept it dry and safe for about 14 years without using and when I got my A500 some months ago, I put in the disk powered the Miggy up and it worked It's an awesome game and like mr.vince said worth buying (back then and even now ).
Galahad/FLT 14:08 14 November 2008
Originally Posted by mr.vince:
As much as I appreciate it being there to snoop around in what Peter programmed... this program alone will not help you at all. Factor 5 used modded NEC drives (made by Jens Schoenfeld, Aachen, Germany - he does currently produce and sell retro hardware like the Catweasel floppy controller) which did spin the disk at a lower speed. You will not be able to write longtracks with any standard Amiga. Looking from that perspective, the Turrican games where never actually "protected". They just over-formatted the discs so they would not need a second one, also causing pirate copies to come on two disks.

Chris
I can assure you Factor 5 didn't just rely on their MFM system to protect the game, all Turrican games have checksums in them, that is protection.
dlfrsilver 15:33 14 November 2008
Turrican use even copylock (x5) which means that you need to copy not only the longtracks but also this protection....

I bet it was NEC FD-1035 floppy drives loool !
mr.vince 20:37 14 November 2008
Turrican uses Copylock? Well, that was new to me. I think I have to take a look at the source, or is this only true for T1?

I assume it was the FD-1035, but I am not sure. That has been so long ago...

Chris
jotd 20:59 14 November 2008
Turrican uses Copylock? Well, that was new to me. I think I have to take a look at the source, or is this only true for T1?

I assume it was the FD-1035, but I am not sure. That has been so long ago...

Chris
AFAIR Turrican III does not use copylock but only a few longtracks.
Galahad/FLT 21:39 14 November 2008
Turrican doesn't use Copylock, in fact i'm struggling to think of any non UK companies that did use it.
dlfrsilver 21:52 14 November 2008
Picked up in the readme of Turrican slave made by WEPL :

'7 copylock routines removed (in Level 1,2,4,4,5,5,5).
New random generator because the old one has read the ROM area'

Is it a dream or am i right ?
Retro1234 22:17 14 November 2008
Has anyone been able to have a good look at the source and game tools and found anything intresting?
Retro-Nerd 22:27 14 November 2008
Somebody should remove this annoying hook. Replace it with the flash of lightning weapon and we have a muuuch better Turrican III. Of course you have to tweak some platforms, where do you need the hook.
Galahad/FLT 02:12 15 November 2008
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver:
Picked up in the readme of Turrican slave made by WEPL :

New random generator because the old one has read the ROM area'

Is it a dream or am i right ?
Bert should have said 'copylock style', the only similarity is that Turrican tests a protection track, but its not Copylock
Retro1234 13:20 15 November 2008
Theres tools on disk 5 for writing long tracks? what ever that means

Loads of sprites on the disks in IFF format with file extension .Pic for both T3 And Mr Nutz
Also intresting to see Mr Nutz MegaDrive version looks like the sprites and probably the maps were all edited on the Amiga.

GameTool - Anyone figured out how to use this -When you start it it says "(C) NEON Using outside the media group is strictly prohibited" Sound intresting ;-)
Export to Snes?
dlfrsilver 15:54 15 November 2008
nope making game maps !!
mr.vince 10:55 23 March 2009
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT:
Bert should have said 'copylock style', the only similarity is that Turrican tests a protection track, but its not Copylock
Have to dig this out because I did actually play with C20 a bit last night.

You're right, T1 has additional protection tracks that are in some way similar to Copylock, but are implemented differently (there is no serial number / fancy density gaming). It's still a track that can not be written with a standard Amiga, even with a speed-modified drive.

Looking at the other two, T2 + T3, they "just" have longtracks, with the second one being really at the edge of what you'd want to do with a DD disk. Even with the very precise timing of C20, you can not maneuver around the small inconsistencies of the disk surface. You need really really good DD disks for this (not the 10 for 3 bucks packages you'd buy for "stuff") or you can use HD media nowadays (which really look sweet in regard to precise bitcells). It's really frightening seeing a graph of the actual disk surface and how many (physical) errors there are, which go unnoticed if you just say "can I read this back NOW"? With errors modifying the density, it's only a matter of time until such disks fail sooner or later. This seems to be very common for the cheap DDs sold back in the 90ies, while many old and recent HD disks look fine.

I did find an old NEC 1035 drive with a potentiometer attached in the stuff from the old office, which ville9 has cleaned and tried out. He says it's going from 290 rpm to 330 rpm (I hope I do remember correctly), so that could be used to try out this tool. But... if it just comes to writing the disk in a prefect way, C20 can do this faster, more reliable and with an accuracy that wasn't even achived by the Trace machines...
StingRay 11:10 23 March 2009
Looking at the other two, T2 + T3, they "just" have longtracks, with the second one being really at the edge of what you'd want to do with a DD disk.
Didn't T2 just use 512*12 ($1800) bytes per track?

Edit:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver:
With "copylock" Bert just meant generic copyprotection routines, in this case checksum checks.
mr.vince 14:20 23 March 2009
Originally Posted by StingRay:
Didn't T2 just use 512*12 ($1800) bytes per track?
Would have to check. At least the graphs look pretty ugly (looking at the original copy from 1990. The fresh writes are ok. The single disk of Xenon 2 is even denser, with a speedlock on track 0. I am waiting for my eBay purchase to arrive, but the disk written back using C20 fails on let's say 19 of 20 boot attempts. I still assume this is due to bad coding - I xepect the original to behave the same on my CDTV (running in A500 mode).

Longtracks are ok if you use them as checks only (e.g. have track 79.1 written as a longtrack). I never liked them carrying real data, and looking at how ugly they look several years later explains why I did not like them.

Originally Posted by StingRay:
With "copylock" Bert just meant generic copyprotection routines, in this case checksum checks.
Yes, I never had a problem with this. All I wanted to express with my first post was the fact that only T1 does more than longtracks in regard to checking (not counting any checks for code modification, just speaking of real disk protection here)...
Predabot 08:08 24 March 2009
Hmm, this is interesting!

So, where did this source-code come from? I'm guessing it's actually from one of the Factor 5 -guys, now that the company is in complete limbo, because of the bankruptcy.

Could this source-code be used along with sprite-rips from Mega Turrican to enhance the Amiga Turrican 3 and make a special edition? I'm thinking it could, actually.

Would be nice if it was possible to re-implement some Turrican 2 features as well... Like, adding the powerlines and proper rebound ( leave the hook alone tho). Proper rebound graphics can be ripped straight out of Super Turrican, as that one re-implements proper rebound.

Damn...! Some really sweet stuff could be done for the special edition of Turrican 3. Replacing all of the mod-files as well! With much more complex multi-channel high-quality mods, created from the CD-versions that Hüelsbeck have released! ^^

1 2 3 4 5 

Page generated in 0.13283 seconds with 13 queries