English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

View Poll Results: What's the Best Elite game ?
Elite 33 50.77%
Frontier 28 43.08%
First Encounters 4 6.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 September 2001, 06:21   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

What's the Best Elite game?

That's the 1st Poll I do here, hope I do it right

Although I think Frontier is deeper and more engrossing, I can't help choosing Elite, as it's the game I most played in my whole life, While I played Frontier for 1 year, I played Elite for something like 7-8 years...

If Ian Bell and David Braben could settle down, be friends again and work together in Elite 4, I bet it would be the best. Cross the playability of Elite (the space section) with the gameplay of Frontier (the stations section), and it would be a killer game.
Old 23 September 2001, 06:48   #2
Amigaboy

Elite without a doubt

First Encounters sucked
Frontier I didn't like too much

Old 23 September 2001, 09:10   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Wasn't there also Elite Plus?

I seem to remember a debate about whether the Plus version was released on the Amiga or not (it is my understanding that it wasn't, even though there are copies out there labeled Elite+).
Old 23 September 2001, 09:15   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Never mind. I did some reading on it, and Elite Plus was the PC update to Elite because the PC's at the time of Elite's release couldn't handle the game and it performed poorly. So it's probably more a case of Elite on the PC was beta, and Elite Plus is the final product.
Old 23 September 2001, 09:30   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

BTW, Elite plus still sux, the Amiga version is much better
Old 23 September 2001, 10:08   #6
Amigaboy

Are you sure Elite Plus wasn't on Amiga?

I know I have it for the PC, but my mind keeps telling me I also have it for the Amiga

If you're 100% sure, then ok
Otherwise.... I think I'll stick by what my mind is telling me

Old 23 September 2001, 10:20   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Back in the old days, I was the one who swore to the death that Elite Plus was on the Amiga, while my friends insisted it wasn't. I was unwaivering, but after examing copy after copy that were labeled as Elite Plus, it never turned up. Nor did any real world indications. Even ads for the Space Legends compilation (which featured Wing Commander, Megatraveller 1 and Elite Plus) stated that Elite Plus was on the PC version only.

That combination of elements convinced me to wave my white flag.
Old 23 September 2001, 10:22   #8
Amigaboy

aha! The Space Legends Compilation! I have that!

Off to check now

Old 23 September 2001, 10:28   #9
Amigaboy

ok. I just checked it out

The differences I saw at first glance are :

- On the loading screen, in the bottom left hand corner, it says V2.0
- There is no password protection screen
- In the Options panel, there's a new button called Browse, which allows you to view details about ships and cargo, etc.

No sign of the word "Plus" anywhere though. Maybe you're right Twistin (unless those features above were only in Elite Plus?)

Old 23 September 2001, 14:38   #10
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Taken from the official website of Frontier Developments

"2. What platforms was Elite written for?

Elite was originally written for the BBC Micro. There was a separate version if your machine had the optional floppy disc drive, and these were both launched at the same time. The BBC disc version had the special missions in it, and more space craft, but we couldn't fit these in to the 22K available on the basic machine.

Here are the versions in full: BBC Micro (tape), BBC Micro (disc), Acorn Electron (tape), Acorn Electron (cartridge,unreleased), Commodore 64 (cassette,disc), Sinclair Spectrum, Amstrad CPC (tape, disc), MSX (tape), Tatung Einstein, Apple II, IBM CGA/8086 PC,Atari ST, Commodore Amiga, Sinclair 128, BBC Master 128, BBC Master Compact, BBC Tube, Nintendo Entertainment System, IBM EGA/VGA/80286 PC (as Elite +), NEC 9800 series (Japan only) and Acorn Archimedes. Many of these were available in foreign language versions, and there were a few other versions for variant machines like the Commodore 128, and a few other versions that weren't released. "

http://www.frontier.co.uk/index.html
Old 23 September 2001, 14:42   #11
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

I must also add that Elite on the Amiga is my favourite version

Elite Plus on the PC is quite good. The polygons run at a smoother rate than they did on my A500.
Old 23 September 2001, 14:47   #12
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I don't like Elite + on PC. Although it looks good and play smoothly, the gameplay is rubbish. There are ships lacking, you don't have the "identifier", and the game doesn't "feels" right somehow.

I've played 5 different versions of Elite as far as a I remember, and they go in this order for me, from best to worse

Amiga
MSX
Commodore 64
NES (surprisingly, is very fast, I played it just a little, ite seems to lack a lot of features)
PC's Elite +
Old 23 September 2001, 15:37   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

Elite is the best, for Amiga

However the best version I have ever played is the Archimedes version of Elite Plus, do NOT confuse this version with the PC version however because the Archimedes version is 10 times better, I don't know how well it plays through emulation, but on the real thing it rocks

I'm not alone in thinking this either, many Elite fan sites also say Elite Plus on the Archimedes is by far the best version ever released, as it should be seeing as it was released for a machine with far more power than an A500 and also released more than 6 or 7 years later.

The Amiga is the best version other than this though, but I realise most of you guys (Outside of the UK) probably haven't even heard of an Acorn Achimedes let alone played on one.

Whilst I'm on the subject the Archimedes version of Lemmings is also the best version

Anyone else suffering from a case of deja-vu??

As far as I can tell Elite Plus is exactly the same game as Elite, just with added eye candy
Old 23 September 2001, 15:52   #14
derSammler

@Twistin'Ghost:

Elite+ was never released for the Amiga. But there are two diffrent versions anyway. The original version and an updated version with a build-in online-manual (like Elite+ for PC). But the updated version is not Elite+.
Old 24 September 2001, 03:58   #15
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I reckon the warez community assumed Elite 2.0 was Elite Plus and some of them released it as such. I will have to dig through my Archimedes collection and see if I have the Plus version and take it for a ride. Thanks for that info!

However, I am curious as to what you think makes Lemmings better on the Archimedes. Mind you, I haven't seen that version, but the Amiga version is the only one I am aware of with the 2-player mode. Plus, I am just curious as to what be be improved on to make it better than the Amiga release. Thanks.

@Amigaboy
I may have the 2.0 version somewhere, but not an original. Is there a way to dump that to an ADF (assuming it's not copy protected)? That would be a nice thing to have.
Old 24 September 2001, 04:52   #16
Ian
Global Moderator

Lemmings

Better sound (Maybe) and GFX (Definitely) Twistin' and most importantly same (or slightly improved) gameplay owing to the smoother scrolling and such like.

I'm just going on memories here though, but I do recall having my Amiga (with Lemmings) at school but I always played the Archimedes version

Can't remember whether the Archimedes version had a two player mode, but the Atari ST version did I think.
Old 24 September 2001, 05:00   #17
Amigaboy

Sorry Twist. Apart from a lack of an ADFing Amiga, Elite 2.0 is a copy protected disk

Old 24 September 2001, 06:59   #18
birdy-scc
Banned

Floppy disk

I was never a fan of Elite as a (younger) kid, but after seeing Elite Plus on the PC I went to the bother of downloading the instructions!

I haven't read them yet, but you never know, I'm bored enough to write this...

Elite Plus PC - Download (242k)
Old 24 September 2001, 23:34   #19
Ian
Global Moderator

Question Erm

Seems two people voted for Frontier, but have failed to post the reason why, I myself like Frontier despite the bugs (Not as much as I like the original) so there is no shame in admitting you prefer it over Elite, so come on own up, please
Old 25 September 2001, 00:21   #20
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Indeed. Frontier was a fine game despite the bugs. But somehow it lacked something special that I can't put my finger on.