English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 23 March 2009, 23:37   #141
Stedy

Hi,

The online ordering is not ready yet, I want to have a number of unit ready for sale before I do this. Allowing orders now would effectively be pre-ordering, which I do not want to do. It takes 20 minutes to assemble a complete unit so there are only so many units I can produce in an evening.

A support page, with information, including the design files is now online http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/de...y_adaptor.html
There is a place holder link there for the retail/sales page, of course you could always look at the banner on the left, the sales page is marked

To help me plan the build, if you want to register your interest, can you send an email to amigasales AT ianstedman.co.uk, stating how many units and to help me, you real name and nickname?

I have tested as best I can but I need someone with an Escom A1200 to test a unit for me?
My no solder mod requires you to clip a test lead onto the back of the 23 way d-type floppy connector. I used this method on my unmodified A1200 and it worked ok, with regard to nRDY generation. You should not need to remove the existing wire link.

Ian

Last edited by Stedy; 23 March 2009 at 23:48.
Old 23 March 2009, 23:45   #142
Stedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
out of intrest and becuase i might end up doing it, Do these work as df1,2 repacments ?

ie you can plug the little circut board that is on the external drives in and they work ?

well cable issues aside that is
With the current design you could easily add DF1: to a cable.
Using a PC FDD drive with the twist incorporated, you can easily have DF0: & DF1: as PC FDDs. There is a jumper on the board to set the drive to work using SEL0/SEL1 which enables DF0:/DF1: though if you use the cable with the twist this is not required. SEL2 and SEL3 are only available on the external 23 way d-type connector.

Ian
Old 23 March 2009, 23:46   #143
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
I have tested as best I can but I need someone with an Escom A1200 to test a unit for me?
Hi Ian,

I have an ESCOM A1200, and I would be pleased to test one for you.

prowler
Old 23 March 2009, 23:52   #144
Eclipse
Turpentine

Hi,
My Amiga was originally an escom model and has the wire underneath. I could give it a go if you need me too.
I would need to cut the wire underneath and then attach your mod to the relevant pin?
EDIT: Obviously I have changed it to work with real Amiga floppies
Old 24 March 2009, 00:34   #145
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
So just to confirm Stedy Its able to run 2 pc drives of this conector

I`m sorry to ask this but you have tried it haven`t you ?
Old 30 March 2009, 10:28   #146
Azryl

Its actually great to see this adapter assembled! well done. Big congratulations for this!!

1x adapter for myself pls

Az
Old 30 March 2009, 14:00   #147
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

so a week later any news ? progress report ? life style changes ?
Old 30 March 2009, 23:30   #148
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

Stedy, I want unit number 1 and unit number 50 please...otherwise I eat your liver

Seriously tho, good work, me likez
Old 01 April 2009, 00:40   #149
Stedy

Hi,

Things are still a little hectic round here, not built that many units so far. Until I have 20 ready to ship, the ordering stays offline.

I have found someone who can test the Escom fix, just need to get the board delivered to him.

I made a slight error in the PCB design, I forgot to take into account the fact the pins swap rows when the connector to the PC is right angled. To fix it, the connector is mounted upside down, as shown here.

You can still fit the unit to the floppy drive.

Finally, I have not tested two units on one cable. It should work when using a PC drive cable with a twist in it as this swaps the drive select lines over. When time allows, I will do this.

Bye,

Ian
Old 01 April 2009, 00:49   #150
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks for another update Ian.

prowler
Old 01 April 2009, 01:11   #151
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

4x PCB's for me Mr Stedy sir! , I have a plan for one of them thats SOooo fecking UBER its awesome!!!
Old 01 April 2009, 12:45   #152
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Old 08 April 2009, 00:36   #153
Stedy

Hello,

The online ordering system is up and running.

At this time I have not had the Escom A1200 fix verified on a real A1200, this should happen shortly. My advice to you is this, if you are looking to use this unit in an Escom A1200, do not order until I can verify that the unit works as intended.

The first batch of orders should go out this thursday, the next batch later next week.

The URL you require is http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Sales/sales.html

Bye,

Ian
Old 08 April 2009, 11:35   #154
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

Thanks mate.

For us non PayPal dudes, can you tell us where to send cheques, and what payee to use?
I'll send that out today, I want two units.
Old 08 April 2009, 12:15   #155
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
At this time I have not had the Escom A1200 fix verified on a real A1200, this should happen shortly. My advice to you is this, if you are looking to use this unit in an Escom A1200, do not order until I can verify that the unit works as intended.
Hi guys,

I received a unit for testing with my Escom A1200 yesterday evening. Thanks, Stedy! . I hope to have tested it by this evening.

I'll post the result here later.

prowler
Old 08 April 2009, 17:59   #156
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Hello Ian,
is the post&packing price International or Local (UK only)?
Old 08 April 2009, 21:17   #157
Stedy

Hi,

@Supamax,

I charge the same postage and packaging worldwide. I will amend the terms and conditions on the website for clarity.

@X-Ray

Send an email to amigasalesATianstedman.co.uk and I will provide you with my postal address to send a cheque.

@prowler

Good luck with the testing. You have my contact details if there are issues.

@Thread.

Thanks for your support. The first 8 orders have been prepared and will be dispatched tomorrow. Others will follow after the easter holiday.

The online ordering I now use has some intelligence, if I run out of stock, it stops orders. I've split the units up into assembled and kit form, with suitable quantities of each available.

Bye,

Ian
Old 08 April 2009, 22:14   #158
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
The online ordering I now use has some intelligence, if I run out of stock, it stops orders. I've split the units up into assembled and kit form, with suitable quantities of each available.
(Perhaps this is a stupid question )
Are the assembled units tested before selling/shipping?
Old 08 April 2009, 23:40   #159
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi All,

Unfortunately, as soon as I'd got my A1200s stripped apart to get at the floppy drive interface, I hit a snag. Neither Amigas' floppy drive power socket is compatible with the power input header on the adapter PCB, so I will not be able to proceed without making up a suitable power adapter.

It proved to be impossible find the parts to do this and put it together, leaving sufficient time to get the testing done before I lost the TV. It will now have to wait until tomorrow. Thankyou for your patience.

I have both Escom and Commodore A1200s, plus a Cumana external floppy drive. I intend to test the adapter, not only in the internal configuration, but also in an external configuration with the Cumana, both with a single PC floppy drive and dual drives connected to a PC drive cable with a twist in it, so I hope you'll agree that the wait will be worth it.

prowler
Old 09 April 2009, 05:47   #160
Eclipse
Turpentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi All,

Unfortunately, as soon as I'd got my A1200s stripped apart to get at the floppy drive interface, I hit a snag. Neither Amigas' floppy drive power socket is compatible with the power input header on the adapter PCB, so I will not be able to proceed without making up a suitable power adapter.

It proved to be impossible find the parts to do this and put it together, leaving sufficient time to get the testing done before I lost the TV. It will now have to wait until tomorrow. Thankyou for your patience.

I have both Escom and Commodore A1200s, plus a Cumana external floppy drive. I intend to test the adapter, not only in the internal configuration, but also in an external configuration with the Cumana, both with a single PC floppy drive and dual drives connected to a PC drive cable with a twist in it, so I hope you'll agree that the wait will be worth it.

prowler
Header Amiga side? I would have thought the connector would have fit as it's just 4 pins on the Amiga.
EDIT: Just re-read and if you mean the white header on Steddy's adapter an easy way would be to snip the support off so that it basically becomes a 4-way header and it should fit. You would not have polarity protection though if you did this.

Last edited by Eclipse; 09 April 2009 at 06:00.